Chimp & See Talk

Marlyn (Juv03/2spots)-- Juvenile with white, bald spots on back

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I am not sure whether the juvenile here has already an ID, but it (he?) has two bald spots on the back. I see something very similar in the cutie from ACP000efpc (not good preview).

enter image description here

Posted

And I see that in AVJuv03 too (AVJuv04 is the girl, right?) Try to find a good picture. Best seen, maybe here: ACP000fw46

So, yes: I think they are all the same juvenile (a boy) = AVJuv03 and he belongs to Filou. (At least was seen now three times with him if true. And the juvenile pays close attention to him and there is some interaction. More than I would expect with a male.)

Edit: yes, he is carrying AVJuv03 in ACP000fw3t Very cool!

Posted

That's him too ACP000fw9m - I cannot see the date (found by @luca-chimp)

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp in response to AnLand's comment.

@Anland --- this is really cool. Always when I saw the three of them, the old guy and the two little ones, I wondered about the long sequences, never with an adult female. This was nothing I knew from RestlessStar. So, do you think there is maybe an adoption from the male to the two buddys? Is that known? Is it normal, that so juveniles are so long time away from mum?

Posted

Yes, this is known. Being together is probably not really a sign for adoption, I see here more interaction that I've seen before between such a young juvenile and a male, though that would not be conclusive. But a male carrying an infant / juvenile is definitely unusual. You can see them both - I think - also here ACP000fw6c (stolen from @Snorticus' collection).

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

As Paula mentioned, the Hammer-"Thief" might be the one with the bold patches too
    Stolen Hammer

Posted

And here ACP000fw9l

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to luca-chimp's comment.

Ah, great. So, more evidence for that precious little guy.

Posted

In this video ACP000e5ku found by @ksigler crosses the little one with the two spots too. And in the previous seconds ACP000e5ks, a big male with a special right ears, white beard and gray back and legs crosses (second chimp looking roughly in camera direction). So, the little one is following him (maybe intentional, if it's true what I am thinking).

Posted

and here again with Filou, clear visible the spots ACP000fw91 ACP000fw92

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

ACP000fw6c I wondered if that wasn't a male when I was collecting adjacent images. That's the first time I've seen a male carrying a youngster - cool!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Full series closeup juvenile: ACP000efp9 ACP000efpa ACP000efpb ACP000efpc

Adding that this juvenile also matches #AVJuv02b in ACP000e43n and AVMale02 is seen later in ACP000e43o and ACP000e43p

Both juveniles have a narrow dark black line where their thick pink brow meets in the center and thinning hair on their necks.

ACP000efpa Closeup chimp, right ear

ACP000e43n Compare to #AVJuv02b

ACP000efpa Closeup chimp, right ear with horizontal ridge, also note the grey pigmentation pattern under nose with a line extending down toward the mouth.

ACP000e43n #AVJuv02b Similar grey muzzle pattern below nose - easier to see full screen in Preview 3 - followed by preview pic of similar left ear ridge

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000fwb1 ACP000fwb3 ACP000fwb5 ACP000fwb7

This looks like him again to me, eating something, maybe a seed pod? - both ears have ridges, strong black line where brows meet, darker eye mask, similar body size.

ACP000fwb5

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Full series for 2-spot chimp seen: ACP000fw91 ACP000fw92 ACP000fw93 ACP000fw94

ACP000fw9l ACP000fw9m ACP000fw9n ACP000fw9p

ACP000fw9t ACP000fw9u ACP000fw9v ACP000fw9w

ACP000fwbd ACP000fwbe ACP000fwbg ACP000fwbj

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Part of the series above - 3 minutes before ACP000efpc

ACP000efs2 ACP000efs6 ACP000efsa ACP000efsc

ACP000efs6 Same deformed ear male is there. Juvenile has grey pigment shape under nose, ridges in both ears that stick out, black line where the thick pink brow meets, same body size. I guess he got bored with nut cracking and moved on to tree climbing πŸ˜‰

Posted

I definitely also think that AVJuv02b is the same juvenile as here (and as AVJuv03), but unfortunately, we cannot see the white spots. The rest of his traits are consistent.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

That is great!!

I am going to add all this "2 patches" videos to the list, AnLand, do you want to select a name to this juvenile?

What I can no see that clear is the patches in AVJuv03 ( ACP000fw46).

Everything fits, also in the video ACP000fw91 probably are the 3 again (Filou, AVJuv03 and AVjuv04), is just that in the video ACP000fw46 I can not see the patches... Could you tell me which second??

Thanks a lot!!!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

In my opinion, you can see the patches briefly at 7 seconds in ACP000fw46, when the male is pushing him a bit back and before in ACP000fw44 when the juvenile is sitting down.

An untagged video is ACP000fw41 (belongs in that sequence).

Yes, it is quite dark, but there seems to be really some scars on the little one back.

Posted

I'm suddenly not sure anymore whether it's a really boy. I cannot see a penis in any video.

Posted

Some to add ACP000fwgt ACP000fwgu ACP000fwgv ACP000fwgw
    And with a good view on the back of the adult male (I think its Filou)

Posted

Oh, I really like their interaction. But is the juvenile a bit mangy or are these scars or something? In the black-and-white footage it does not look well groomed ...

Posted

Perhaps the juv has parasites. So often he is scratching itself (I did a lot of hashtagging *scratch for jwidness πŸ˜ƒ
    I think its more shaggy than scars. Is it possible, that he is without mum? Perhaps Filou is not the best groomer ...

Posted

Ah ..for that ...Im really thinking its s girl

Posted

If, the juvenile is really carried by the male (and it looks like this), there is quite certainly no mother around anymore. Male chimpanzees are not known to carry infants and juveniles, except they adopt them. They might play and interact, but that's it. So, that would be a thing to look for (in general -> more scratching ... less grooming ... less groomers around ... less company / party size ... or so - I do not know much about this). Well, I do not want to judge Filou. I only got to know him some days ago. He seems to be taking care and starving would be worse than just bad fur/skin I guess.

Posted

Here a cool video (and research) on the topic "Itching to be popular": http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/28/science/japanese-monkeys-like-to-socialize-even-with-nits-to-pick.html?_r=0

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to luca-chimp's comment.

Thanks Luca, yes ACP000fwgt ACP000fwgu ACP000fwgv ACP000fwgw they are Filou and the "2 spot" juvenile.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Thanks AnLand

Posted

AnLand, do you want to select a name for the "2 spots" juvenile???

I am not sure either about the gender, so maybe a "neutral" one

πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

I can see something but is not that obvious than the other videos. But anyway the look the same, always with Filou, same age, same round face... I would match the 2 spots juv with Juv03.

We can try to sort all the videos from this 2 spots juv and AVjuv03, and see when this "2 spots" (injury i guess) appeared.

Posted

Thank you, @PauDG. I would like to name this juvenile Marlyn.

Posted

Great, thanks AnLand!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000fwas This looks like Marlyn - two bald spots on back.

Didn't we see this white spot on top of the head in some previous clip also?

Posted

I did not read everything that has been written last week, so sorry, if that's already known: But @luca-chimp just posted some videos and in ACP000fwhl one can see a penis in Marlyn. So, should be a boy as I thought before. (I also read somewhere that males mostly adopt male infants/juveniles. Is that true?)

Posted

Definetively boy πŸ˜‰ I was long unsure, but in some other clips, when he is working with the nuts and standing up and down you can see it too ...

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000fwa8 Boy part clear here.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

More Marlyn & Filou here:

ACP000fwa1 ACP000fwa3 ACP000fwa5 ACP000fwa8

Posted

Great, thanks all! male then

I have added these picture to the chimp list πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Found by @dpellerin and @Boleyn - More Marlyn with two spots here: ACP000fwer ACP000fwes

Series begins with ACP000fwep ACP000fweq

ACP000fwer

Posted

Thanks Snorticus πŸ˜‰

Posted

This ACP000ex8c looks like Marlyn aka "twospots" - well visible.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Dated 2014-03-03 at 12:42:33

ACP000esft ACP000esfv ACP000esfx ACP000esg0

This juvenile looks like Marlyn - two white spots on the upper right back and a ridge in the right ear.

ACP000esft

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Dated 2015-03-03 at 12:44:17 - Two minutes later Marlyn is still sitting in the same spot when Kamala licks the camera.

ACP000esem ACP000eseo ACP000eseq ACP000eser

ACP000eseo - Like Marlyn - note curved brows with black center line, pale muzzle, ridges in the ears.

Posted

Thanks a lot @Snorticus, cool sequences

Posted

Did you see my comment (new video) too? Do you agree here as well?

Posted

Ey AnLand, sorry, I didn't. I did now, and I agree πŸ˜‰

Thank you very much

Posted

No problem, I thought you might have overlooked it. And @Snorticus' new findings are much more exciting. I totally agree. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000edp3 - at 8:35 on 1-27-2015 This looks like Marlyn running after Kamala.

Diagonal ear ridge, dark pigment under the nose, thick light curved brow with dark line in the center, lower lip protrudes.

ACP000efsc - Compare to Marlyn: Diagonal ear ridge, dark pigment under the nose, thick light curved brow, lower lip protrudes.

ACP000edxs -1-27-2015 - at 8:37 Looks like Marlyn scampering around the tree to pester Kamala. Better seen in video.

Posted

ACP000edp3 could be Marlyn but the one in ACP000edxs has like an narrower/more elongated face, isn't it? For now we don't have the video after ACP000edxs, right? Maybe will appear.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Here is more of the black & white series of Marlyn & Filou that @puddock just found:

ACP000fwdm

ACP000fwdo

ACP000fwdq

Posted

• puddock by puddock

I think I've found Marlyn in another clip Image ACP000fwdo I've forgotten how to add pics here but he/she does have two very clear spots on his/her back

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Thanks Snorticus - you just got there before me!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to puddock's comment.

oof, I thought you had logged off and I didn't want your find to get lost, sorry

Posted

Thanks for the videos πŸ˜‰

Posted

The juvenile male in ACP000e8m7 should be Marlyn again. The two white spots are well seen, ears and body size fit.

Posted

Great face view! Thanks AnLand πŸ˜‰

Posted

ACP000efip (found by @Corcaroli) might be Marlyn again. It's only two minutes before the known sequence with Filou ACP000efs2 etc.) More in ACP000efis / ACP000efiw / ACP000efiy (here both are already tagged)

Posted

Yeah, thanks.

In ACP000efiy (from the same sequence) we see his 2 spots πŸ˜‰

Posted

In this sequence, ACP000fwio
    ACP000fwip
    ACP000fwiq
    ACP000fwir
    ACP000fwed
    ACP000fwef
    ACP000fweh
    ACP000fwej
    ACP000fwgi
    we haven't identified the juvenile that appears with Sabirah, but I think that in the video ACP000fweh we can slightly see one of the Marlyn's back spot, so seems that it's him. Do you agree?

Posted

That sequence goes until the videos with AVJuv03b, and I wonder if AVJuv03b is actually Marlyn, and it is the same chimp in the whole sequence.

We were doubting between a match with AVJuv03 (now Marlyn) or AVJuv02b (that we also thought it was Marlyn or Sughi).

I say that:

are Marlyn. What do you think?

Posted

This should be Marlyn, the 2 spots are still a bit visible.

ACP000efkt

one

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I agree with ACP000fweh ACP000e43n and ACP000efkt beeing Marlyn but I'm still convinced that AVJuv03b is not Marlyn but Shugi.

The muzzle looks different, the mask is darker and the nose brighter and wider than Marlyns. Marlyn is dark around the nose, AVJuv03b (and Shugi) are not or at least not as much as Marlyn.

Posted

Many thanks Heidi. I am going to add in the chimp list the match proposal between AVJuv03b and Shugi. For now, as there are different opinions, we leave AVJuv03b as a prospective chimp πŸ˜‰

Posted

• JoanaPereira by JoanaPereira

Hi,

I would say that AVJuv03b and AVJuv02b are not Marlyn, as we canΒ΄t see any of the spots, not even the one in the head, which would be visible on the videos if they were Marlyn.. However, I canΒ΄t be sure either that AVJuv03b is Shugi..
    Sorry for not being able to help much.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to JoanaPereira's comment.

Hi! I just posted about AVJuv03b here. I am pretty sure that it is Kamala.

Posted

Also about AVJuv03b: Marlyn and Shugi are male. This is a female juvenile. [For Shugi visible in ACP000fw73]

Posted

For AVJuv02b - I still see Marlyn here. He has a white dot on the head and the ears looks exactly the same. Brows fit, size fits.

Posted

AVJuv03b : I am not sure that is a female

AVJuv02b: I also think is Marlyn

Posted

ACP000ex7u - the juvenile male with the back spots should be Marlyn. My guess is Bea on the right and Kamala on the left, but I am not sure here.

Posted

Agree with Marlyn here and the one on the left following slowly is likely Kamala. Can't tell about the others though.

Posted

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

For ACP000ex7u I also agree with Marlyn. I was wondering if Bea is the one looking up and lingering; perhaps it's in my head, but she seems to waddle a bit, especially in ACP000ex7y? Then again, her face looks similar to Kamala's, so I am torn. πŸ˜•

Posted

The male juvenile here on the left (at 9 seconds) in ACP000g2qa is Marlyn, cf. facial view and right ear.

Posted

Yes to Marlyn!

Posted

First chimp crossing in ACP000g4dq looks like Marlyn (face coloration and left ear).

Posted

Yes Marlyn! The right ear fits as well, better seen in video. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Posted