Chimp & See Talk

AVFem04&AVinf04--Giggling infant!

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I was looking at "just one more clip" before quitting for the eve, when this popped up! You might need headphones to hear it well. Hilariously great clip 😄

ACP000fxpp

enter image description here

Full really funny series:
    ACP000fxpm ACP000fxpn ACP000fxpo ACP000fxpp

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

😄 Thats what my nights shortens ...just one ... what a great find!

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

hahaha,

This video is really cute, thanks for sharing.

We didn'tt have these two in the chimp list, right? I am going to add them as AVFem04 & AVinf04

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

So cute! I know it is random but I feel like I don't get videos with these kinds of scenes (or tool use) as some do. Usually nothing or duikers. I always scroll thru the recents and see others have found these great views. I'm jealous. That's why I don't do many matches. 😦

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

love it!!!

Posted

hi @zoogirl1 - it is random and I think some people may have some extra time to spend on annotating which means they end up seeing more chimp videos (I also rarely get any chimps! :p) but I also think a lot of people use the chimp list to find more chimps and focus on the matching: https://www.chimpandsee.org/identified-chimps/ and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VuVWXWdZHB6p11qpCxIweWFstwgFavT1e5iazqajrlQ/edit?usp=sharing

When a site starts, people are just identifying new chimps and then they use that list to find matches, so even if you aren't getting chimps to annotate you can use that list to try and make matches 😃

we are working on some improvements to get the chimp lists updated more frequently and to automatically generate some video collections too. We are trying to make this automated but we still have some bugs, but as we figure it out we will try our best to update everyone!

Thanks for letting us know about this, we are always open to ideas about how to improve everyone's fun on chimp&see!

Posted

Nothing to be sad @zoogirl Iknow what you mean. I spent the whole weekend in counting duiker-buts 😉 and there was no glimpse of one single chimp-hair. Sometimes, when Im tired in finding randomize duikers,I start with a nice found clip of others and try there to get another clip. Sometimes it works ... mostly not. But Im happy enough to click on the other-finds and if they where so great like the giggling chimp above, it is ok, not to had it first or not to match it. But i know this slightly jeaulosly feeling.
    @mimiA Oh thanks for posting these lists, I didnt know the first, and had forgotten the second. This is great to find the way through this scissors-jungle with clips, I will never get through the logical order 😃

Posted

I just want to add a REALLY MASSIVE THANK YOU for annotating!

I know its maybe not as fun as watching and matching the chimps and looking at hundreds (thousands!) of duiker butts, but it is SOOOOO important to us to get through all the videos. The more videos we annotate the more sites we can put online, so that we can see a huge variety of sub-saharan African landscapes!

Big thank you to all of you who also spend time annotating and please always post when you have any questions or concerns 😄

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

I love this sequence. 😄 Any speculations on the relationships? I don't know that we've seen that much interaction between an infant and an adult other than its mother. Could the female on the right be an older sibling with an infant of her own? Or just a close-knit group?

family

Posted

• LirSam by LirSam scientist

Hi @ksigler!

Since female chimpanzees disperse from their natal group as adolescents, it is more likely that these two females are close associates rather than related. Both male and female chimps maintain strong bonds over years. these bonds are often associated with high levels of affiliative interactions.
    Play with unrelated infants is quite common for both adult females and males and is always a pleasure to watch!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to LirSam's comment.

Thank you, @LirSam !

Posted

I think this is the female with "giggling" infant again ACP000fxpf ACP000fxph ACP000fxpj
    Is this white spot on the right shoulder a permanent sign in the fur? What do you mean?

First I thought it is Fem02, but I dont think it anymore

Posted

Hi Luca, yes they are AVFem04 & AVInf04. Here the complete sequence.

ACP000fxpf
    ACP000fxph
    ACP000fxpj
    ACP000fxpl
    ACP000fxpm
    ACP000fxpn
    ACP000fxpo
    ACP000fxpp
    ACP000fxou

The white spot on the right shoulder looks more like a leaf to me 😉

I will add this videos in the chimp list. Many thanks!

Posted

in ACP000fxpl, who do you think is on the right, AVFem06 or AVFem05?. I think is AVFem06 but I am not sure 100%

Posted