Chimp & See Talk

Jojo-Crann, juv--Tagging fear grimace?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Thinking this is a fear grimace that the smaller young chimp is showing here - upper & lower teeth uncovered, corners of lips pulled up and back - may we tag that?

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

haha @snorticus give me five 😃

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I've been using #grin.

Edit: maybe your question wasn't what tag to use, but rather confirming that it is a fear grin?

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

Yep I would agree that it's a fear grimace and we also see it in the previous video ACP000emip when the little grimacer enters the frame so we are probably missing some of the social context. 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

I was looking for both - so #grin is the tag to use then? It sounds so innocuous for noting a fear response.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

I don't have a strong preference for grin over grimace, we could easily switch it at this point. It didn't really occur to me that most people have a positive association with the word grin until you said something.

How about this: if no one says they strongly prefer grin over grimace, tomorrow I'll switch the tag group to grimace?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I had only recently realized that the "funny chimps" in pop culture images are all doing a fear grimace because I googled to look at chimp facial expressions. That's why I like the tag "grimace" better. Now I feel bad about all those "funny" chimp cards I sent my nieces & nephews through the years 😕

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hey Snorticus, it was disturbing for me too when i found out - but what's important is to spread the word about it now that you know! For example just today this awful organization once again took juvenile chimps to see a movie for publicity http://www.kmov.com/story/32381349/chimpanzees-watch-new-tarzan-movie-at-myrtle-beach-movie-theater and we know this has really bad impacts for their conservation: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0026048

thanks for making the connection and pointing it out! 😃

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Ok, I think we're all switched over to grimace -- tag away!

And, ugh, those poor chimps at the movies. : ( Why are news organizations even covering that?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

Thanks for reconsidering that 😃

Humans are really oblivious in regard to the perspective of animals sometimes. Our 'big brains' don't always get it right, but I think we're gradually getting better.

Posted

i think so too! Whenever i get a bit of the feeling of weltschmerz i re-watch this TED talk and it reminds me we are making progress! https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_and_rebecca_newberger_goldstein_the_long_reach_of_reason?language=en

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to MimiA's comment.

That was an elegant distillation of human progress - good link, Mimi.

Posted

i'm glad you liked it - i think i have watched it about 300 times 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Moved to AV-15.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I also think that the bigger male juvenile here in ACP000emiq and ACP000emir might be Jojo-Crann. I cannot see Makena around, but these brows and body size (and maleness) point me to Jojo-Crann. For the harassed little one, I thought about Jacko (because of size, fluffy sideburns, and dark eye mask), but I cannot get a clear view.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Thanks for moving the discussion.

I agree with Jojo-Crann, but I am not sure at all about who could be the other juvenile....

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I will check some other videos of quarreling juveniles I saved for comparison. Maybe tomorrow 😃

Posted

Thanks!

Posted

The videos I thought might be a clue to this scene didn't give me a real answer. Maybe one of you can find some context?
    ACP000g4dk ACP000g4dl ACP000g4dm ACP000g4bz

What I can offer is a slightly better view of the second juvenile from ACP000emiq and ACP000emir discussed here.

enter image description here

Jojo-Crann at the left. @AnLand proposed Jacko for the second one. There is a possibility to that and maybe here could be the link to the other videos. I think one of the juvs in the other clips might also be Jacko: very dark mask, fluffy sideburns.

Juv from ACP000g4bz

enter image description here

Posted

Hi!

In ACP000emiq, could be Jacko but it is hard to be sure, maybe the fluffy cheeks hair is because of the screaming/fear face... I don't know, sorry. 😦

In the other sequence ( ACP000g4dj, ACP000g4dk, ACP000g4dl, ACP000g4dm) there are 3 juveniles without ID. They move a lot!! but could you try to say which one do you think could be Jacko.

Thanks Heidi!

Posted

Sorry Paula, I have no clue. They all have dark masks and the perspective doesn't allow for a real educated guess 😕

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Juveniles!! :S

Posted

• JoanaPereira by JoanaPereira

Hi to all,

Regarding @PauDG question, I think that Jacko could be the one being scared by the other juvenile in @ACP000g4dl. He has the same size, black mask, fluffy hair on the sides of the head..

Posted

Thanks Joana. I am not sure about the these juveniles :S

I would leave them unidentified unless it's completely clear for some of you

Posted