Chimp & See Talk

AVMale10-Caruso?--Possible ID- Tiaga?

• MollieKemp by MollieKemp

Hello all-

This is my first attempt at ID-ing so please bare with me if I do not follow the usual protocol and the high likelihood that I am incorrect.

I came across this awesome close up capture and just couldn't resist trying to identify.

ACP000e363

Is this Tiaga? There is no young present, but the baldness of the head and the slightly gray beard seem to match.

I appreciate any feedback or tips! I figured the only way to get better was to attempt. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hello @MollieKemp! welcome to Aged Violet πŸ˜‰

Thanks a lot for posting this video, it is awesome!

You did it great, we normally open a new thread, named it somehow easy to follow, we share the video and say if we think is a new chimp or if it is a match with some of the chimps in the PROSPECTIVE / KNOWN CHIMPS list. So, perfect!

We normally also post some still images. You can find 16 still pictures per each video just bellow the video, there it says "Preview".
    If you click on those number, a new window will open. Then you just nee to copy the link and paste it here, where it says "IMGURLHERE"

It is explained here in How to post video screencaps!

About the match with Taiga, could be, but the eyebrows make me doubt and she is balder I think....

Let's see what the others think πŸ˜ƒ

Thanks a lot!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Hi @MollieKemp nice to have you around and great first attempt!

Here are the other videos of the sequence:
    ACP000e361 found by @Snorticus ACP000e362 first found by @Batfan and ACP000e364 by @puddock

In ACP000e362 @lauraklynn stated that he looks like AVmale02/02b. I think I can see a little nick in his right ear but further down than the one of AVMale02b and the baldness of AVMale02b spreads over the entire forehead while this one here has just a little v-shaped bald spot. I have to look further into it. Not sure if male or female either.

Posted

Thanks for the feedback and warm welcomes!

What a great sequence of captures.

@Boleyn, I agree about the baldness, AVmale02/02b seems to be more bald informally than this chimp. It also seems like the AVmale02/02b has more of a beard on the sides of his cheeks, the gray is almost broken up by his lips- but the capture in question seems to have more of a uniformly gray area around mouth and chin. Different levels of light might affect how visible that is though.

Posted

Hi all,

when I read "little nick in his right ear" I thought about Caruso. What do you think?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

That's possible, @PauDG, there's no real close-up of Caruso but I think this still could proove that this is Caruso, Same broad head and baldness pattern, thight, bowed and protruding brows. The nick in the right ear is in the lower part.

enter image description here

From ACP000e362
    enter image description here

Posted

They do look quite similar. I see no obvious reason they do not match- but hard to be completely sure without a closer shot of Caruso's face.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

This is such a nice closeup of this chimp's face! The head is broad & flat like Caruso, ears set towards the back of head and placed kinda low but the lighting is so different it's hard to tell. I was frustrated when we found this series because I don't think we ever see the chimp's rear to ID the sex which would help us narrow down the possible suspects considerably.

Posted

Hi all,

here the whole sequence of videos (or at least for now)

ACP000e398
    ACP000e361
    ACP000e362
    ACP000e363
    ACP000e364
    ACP000e372
    ACP000e373

they are awesome! unfortunately only the face is visible πŸ˜•

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to PauDG's comment.

Looking at Caruso and AVMale10 comparisons and discussion here again. The lower left ear notch locations, flat head shape, look alike to me but Caruso is such an enthusiastic eater, head always in motion, the differences in distance & lighting - that it's hard to be sure but I don't see anything that rules it out as a match either.

Posted

I agree @Snorticus!

Posted

more opinions about this possible match?

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

I think its a great match, the head shape, ears, balding, beard all look good. I also like the eye colour and the distance between the eyes and the nostrils. Caruso for me.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

@Snorticus you named it. I think he's enthousiastic in everything he does not only in eating but also in posing in front of the camera πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

I know, right? lol @Boleyn ο˜‰His singing is superb too!

Posted

LOL

Posted