Chimp & See Talk

AVJuv19--Right forearm missing on this chimp?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I the right forearm missing on this last chimp? It's such a brief view but it seems too short and I see some pinkish coloring. Also the entry movement is somehow odd. Anyone have thoughts?

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

I think its fine, chimp is probably rubbing its face as it passes. Movement is very smooth for an injury like the camera trick suggests, looks like a missing forearm!!. Just carrying something maybe. Hopefully anyway!!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

@squish5 Check out this clip for smooth movement from a one-armed chimp 😉 This is Dodge from Crimson Dew

ACP0005652

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Wow that's impressive, that sorts that smoothness issue lol 😃 some power! the more I look the more I agree though, that's a bad buzz 😦 Originally I said that's impossible!! how could a chimp lose its arm!! that happens in industry!! then google educates you on SNARES. That's some nasty stuff. not the best viewing for sat night 😦

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to squish5's comment.

We have had a few chimps with missing limbs or feet or hands which is very sad, but we've also seen some pretty agile chimps after they heal. Here is a recent discussion we had where Mimi posted links to conservation orgs. if you would like to help.

https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP0000002/discussions/DCP0001mjz

I give to Ngogo when I buy anything at Amazon.com Carolyn Rowney at Ngogo says they use "100% of all donations to fund our year-round anti-poaching patrols, which directly protect chimps and other animals throughout Kibale National Park, so every cent we raise goes far. We also have Amazon links on our website - ngogochimpanzeeproject.org. If you click over to Amazon through these, our conservation program receives between 4-7% of however much you spend and it costs you nothing."

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi! I cannot really see that a part of the limb is missing and the pinkish part is where I would expect the hand. And hands - as well as faces - are rather light and pinkish in small juvenile chimps. So, I would not think that something is missing.

BUT, while checking out that video from Baron (and later Filou) I've posted yesterday ACP000g5cv, I recognized the small juvenile chimp following the males in ACP000g5cz and it is not using its right hand even when crossing the river. In my opinion, it does not carry something in its hand - so maybe something is wrong indeed. The videos are two months apart. If the same juvenile, then it seems to be serious. Body size of the little one fits, other traits are no seen in @Snorticus' video.

enter image description here

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

@Snorticus, plenty links in there thanks. Lots of good projects happening, I never knew You could donate on amazon 😃 Also the Jane Goodall site is very interesting, and very impressive work.

As for this poor little fella, 2 months is a long time so it must be fairly serious. Hand itself doesn't seem to be damaged but definitely not normal movement.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

In ACP000fytv is just passing very fast. Could be carrying something... But it is true that in ACP000g5cz looks like something is happening to his/her hand.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I've just seen that the first adult (very likely male) in ACP000g5cz has two damaged ears and the damage is consistent with Filou. He is also seen in ACP000g5cx. White beard, body build etc. agrees.

Posted

The cut in the left ear is not very visible, right? Could be because of the angle

Posted

We never added the juvenile to the prospective/known list!! My fault. Any match proposal? For now as AVJuv19

Posted