Chimp & See Talk

Taiga & inf and Marini--Chimp ID

• puddock by puddock

Lovely view of a relaxed adult female chimp with an infant clinging to her front - could this be Makena?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Sorry haven't seen that you were writing a comment in the objects. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Yes - I'm never sure whether to start a conversation here or in the comments section πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Sorry, guys, I did not see these postings. I will move the discussion to the AV-15 board.

My personal opinion is that this is Taiga and her infant. The swelling looks from the side view a bit more protruded than I imagined, but the facial features (uneven brows, lighter and close eyes, big nostrils ...) all fit. We know that Taiga has a newborn in summer 2014.

enter image description here

Taiga confirmed:

Posted

I also want to note that a small juvenile seems to follow her in ACP000ez9y. That would be in agreement with this sequence ACP000gfth and ACP000gfti a week earlier of a female with a newborn and a juvenile following.

Posted

In ACP000f3h3 (and ACP000f3h5) , just days later, we have the same situation: a female with a very small infant - here supported by her hand - is followed by a small juvenile. I actually think that it is a little girl in all instances. But that would be strange as we did not really see Taiga followed by a small juvenile.

I would rule out in all cases Makena, as the female here is more robust and the swelling (unswollen, of course) is more protruded.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all!

I agree that is Taiga, and that the juvenile seen with the female and the infant is a female. I think in all the videos we had until now there were more females and juveniles around, that is why we didn't realized before.

Posted

Great!

Posted

πŸ˜‰

Posted

In ACP000fsqr, we see the same kind of family: a female with a young infant and a younger juvenile. Might be Taiga again, the facial traits of her and the juvenile fit. Also her swelling fits. As it is already December 2014, the infant is bigger now. (Although, I have to admit that the juvenile here does not look like a girl to me.)

Posted

mmm I am not sure about this. I took a look to the whole sequence, but we are missing one video ( ACP000fsql
    ACP000fsqn xxx
    ACP000fsqr).

There are more chimps, but actually didn't help me πŸ˜•

Posted

Oh yes, I did not look into the full minute and missed the videos. So, in the new context, I still think it is Taiga with her infant, but before her it is: Filou, followed by Kamala(?), then Sabirah(?), the male juvenile could be Marlyn. The missing video is ACP000fsqp - but no new chimps are seen here.

As in the first videos we've seen from Taiga, it is not obvious that she has a small juvenile as well.

Posted

but then where is AVJuv15 (oldest Taiga's offspring)? What would you think about Sekai and inf?

Posted

I just see here fitting facial traits and swelling for Taiga. I also think that Sekai is not this robust, but leaner. More, we did see Taiga in several contexts without the female juvenile that is now AVJuv15 - in ACP000emjk Taiga is joint by a small male juvenile; in ACP000ef7i a quite big male juvenile / adolescent is joining her; in ACP000esic no further kid, but Lya is walking with her.

Posted

mmm yes, the juvenile could be behind the camera anyway, or not with them at all. It is just that I am not 100% sure.

Can someone weigh in on Taiga's proposal? Thanks πŸ˜‰

Posted

Paula, the female with infant in video ACP000ftts was considered to be Taiga in this discussion: some suggestions (Ex-Willa) but she is not yet tagged. It's in post 5 on page 2. Thanks

Posted

When Taiga indeed had a newborn in summer 2014, it can't be her as this infant is bigger and we've seen Taiga with a really small one in the same month.

Posted

I believe that ACP000epyu and ACP000epyw are Taiga and her little one. There is a decent face view in the second video and ifant size agrees.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Hi @Boleyn

I think in that comment we said that we wanted to split the match where this female was, and some of the other females in that match ended being Taiga, but not this one. I would say that could be Sekai... slim, young... what do you think?

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I agree that in ACP000epyu and ACP000epyw is Taiga @AnLand!

Do you @Bolyen? Thanks

Posted

Oh I see, I wasn't sure which one is which πŸ˜ƒ Agree on Taiga for ACP000epyu and ACP000epyw although it's more a hunch than certainty.

For ACP000ftts : yes if it's not Taiga then it most probably is Sekai. Those two look quite alike. πŸ˜• She has a small infant as well (carried ventrally in September) so I could agree on her beeing Sekai.

Posted

Thanks!!

Posted

I think in ACP000g0jw we see Taiga with her infant and juvenile. My opinion is mostly based on family composition, time line, and general appearance. Swelling fits, size and face view of juvenile as well. (But, of course, it's debatable as we don't have Taiga's face view and nothing really to compare the juvenile with.)

Posted

I agree Anja,

We don't have a name for the juvenile yet (AVJuv15) let's ask some of the new volunteers πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Thanks so much for inviting to name her Paula. Apologies for the delay in replying but I've had a hectic last couple of days and only just found your message. What do you think about Marini - Swahili for charming / pretty?

Posted

Thanks Jane! wonderful name and meaning πŸ˜‰

Posted

Time ago we talked about the possibility of this female being Taiga. (https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000s/discussions/DCP0001t3v pag 5 )

The swelling fits with Taiga, and if she really carries an (invisible) infant, also the family composition fits.

ACP000g1tg

one
    one
    one

What do you think?

Posted

• JoanaPereira by JoanaPereira

Hi,

IΒ΄m not sure, but I think that the swelling doesnΒ΄t look so protruded as in the other videos, but can also be because of the angle..

Posted

Tanks for checking Joana. We tried but it is a tricky one, so we leave it unidentified. Thanks!

Posted

ACP000g4u1 - this seems to be Taiga with her newborn infant, carried still by hand. Time is with the earliest videos of her infant and swelling agrees.

Posted

not enough to do a match in my opinion

Posted

If this ACP000g4u1 is not enough to match we should reconsider ACP000f3h3 and ACP000gfth, too. We can't at one point decide that a female with a newborn is Taiga and later in a similar video in the same time frame not see enough. That does not make sense to me.

Posted

In the other videos we see her better

Posted