Chimp & See Talk

Magnus-- Who is this male?

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all,

who do you think could be this male?

ACP000fttq
    one

In the sequence he is seen with Baba and Filou.

The body shape does not fit with Baron in my opinion. Could be Caruso but I don't see the notched right ear. So, my next thought is AVMale02/AvMale02b

What do you think?

I added him as AVMale09

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I think Caruso's back is a bit grayish, while this male (and AVMale02b) is really dark. Also he is balder than Caruso. I actually think about him mainly together with ACP000gfkn and ACP000ey20. I did not think about AVMale02b as it's a close-up and the face doesn't actually have anything special. That makes it hard to compare, e.g., body build. But totally could be. Both are more robust, maybe even bigger than Baron.

All have slightly wavy brows, a bit of gray beard on the side of the muzzle, big nostrils, prominent lips, big balding, but not on the complete forehead. I did not find a better and more conclusive trait, though.

Here the guy from ACP000gfkn - his nostrils might be wider ...

enter image description here

Here from ACP000ey20

AVMale02b - just to have him here too.

Posted

Hi AnLand, I also think these 2 males are AVmale09/AVmale02b

I am going to ask more users, but I think everyone will agree πŸ˜‰

Would you like to select a name AnLand? Cheers

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

I think AVMale02b and AVMale09 are a reasonable match.

I see that AVMale02b and AVMale09 have sort of three small wrinkles on the left of their nose (sorry, maybe itΒ΄s better seen in the clips: ACP000fttq (AVMale09) and ACP000fm0l (AVMale02b) ).

Posted

I love your collages!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

To me it's especially the thin lips with the bright line on the upper lip, then the protruding eyebrows and the bulge under the nose and lastly the really black hair that suggest a match between AVMale02b and AVMale09.

I think @Anland is right when matching him also to ACP000ey20. About ACP000gfkn I'm not 100% sure although he has the same lips, under-nose bulge and baldness. So maybe the wider nostrils are just due to the other perspective.

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Sorry about the presentation but still getting the hang of the software πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Very nice collages above! Trying this linking thing again. Let me know if you can't see the photos below, thanks.

ACP000fm0m Agree with you all that AVMale02 AvMale02b and AVMale09 are a match. This guy has such a protruding brow that continues to stick out around the sides of his beady round eyes. I think the brow shades his eye region when he looks down. Those wrinkles or scars or whatever on his left cheek show up in the light here. He's a handsome fellow with those intact ears and the really dark dense fur.

ACP000fttq Compare here to beady deep set eyes shaded by brow. Better seen in the clip, but I think the left cheek wrinkling is there and the irregular balding - more above his left eye brow. Robust body with same thick dark fur.

Posted

Nice collages!!

@squish5, I think the differences you see are because of the different angles. Your presentation was very visual, I liked it! You have not selected a name yet in Aged Violet. Would you like to choose a name for this handsome male?

Many thanks everyone!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Thanks @PauDG. I think someone else should name this guy. I would rather have a few chimp identifications under my belt if that's ok πŸ˜ƒ I got to name a leopard yesterday anyway so I'm happy πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Nice presentation @squish5. It takes some time and a lot of training to see all the differences and the similarities between chimps. But I'm sure you'll manage your first match soon!

So AVmale02 has a break in the beard? hmmm....he probably slipped while shaving πŸ˜„ πŸ˜‰

Posted

Do you think the sweet guy in ACP000e362 etc. is part of this match too? Brows, left ear, beard ... Just an idea.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

I looked at this chimp yesterday as a possible match too and couldn't decide.

1. Tried to decide if the bumps pattern at base of the left ear were a match.

2. Wondered if the very brown eyes in this chimp should be seen in both, or if AVMale02b eyes just look black because the lighting and angle are so different.

3. They both seem to have some wrinkle/scar on left cheek but I couldn't decide if the shapes matched.

ACP000fm0l Note eyes, but maybe just too shaded to see the brown color?

Posted

• squish5 by squish5 in response to Boleyn's comment.

You appear to have spotted some new behaviour @Boleyn, will tag this as gilette_mach_3 the next time πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to squish5's comment.

Lol, @squish5 and @Boleyn

Posted

Hi all, we talked about this sequence here.

@Boleyn found a "little nick in his right ear" and we talked that could be Caruso. What do you think?

Posted

I am going to add him (ACP000e362) as AVMale10. We were not sure about the gender, but looks like a male, right?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Looked at AVMale10 again. The left ear rim seems to be somewhat irregular with a slight dent on the lower curve of the rim and not a match to AVMale02b who seems to have a very regular curved ear.

ACP000fm0m

ACP000fm0n AVMale02b here right ear looks intact with no cuts, unlike AVMale10 or Caruso.

Posted

would you agree with AVMale10=Caruso then?

And we need a name for AVMale02b / AVMale09. @Snorticus, as we split Willa's match (and that name was selected by you), would you like to select a name for AVMale02b / AVMale09 male as compensation? πŸ˜‰ Thanks

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to PauDG's comment.

Happy to, @PauDG This guy is pretty magnificent looking with his thick black fur and robust form, so I am going with Magnus. Thank you.

Posted

Great! welcome Magnus and thanks @Snorticus

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

Although I have not participated in this discusssion, I do look through. I am very impressed with the collages and notation on the clips. How do you do that?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Oh yes, the magnificient. Great name for this chimp!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Hey @zoogirl1 If you press PRINT SCREEN it will copy the screen. Then paste it to ms-paint. bit of work in getting used to it but when you are finished the file needs a web address. I use imgur Then you cant post here..hope that made sense πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Nice name @Snorticus

Posted

Do you think that AVMale07 could be also Magnus? undamaged ears, body shape fits....

ACP000eqn6

one
    one

Posted

It might be, Paula. Since I'm always having problems with the b/w pics I altered Magnus into a b/w picture. When done, I've immediately thought that the irregularity in his beard seems to be the same as with AVMale07.Additionally both seem to have this bright line on the upper lip which I cannot see in any other male chimp here at AgedViolet. Baldness looks alike as well and the small, high-set nose. So yes, it might be him! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Thanks @Boleyn! (nice pictures)

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to zoogirl1's comment.

Hi @zoogirl1 Here is a recent discussion on posting screenshots that @AnLand wrote up:

https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000t/discussions/DCP0001oi0

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

That black & white conversion was helpful @Boleyn Flat broad head, deep set beady eyes, ears intact - left ear has a piece of debris on it I think - similar body. I agree that AVMale07 looks like Magnus.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Sometimes I have to tweak those chimps to find the similarities. In any case, he's a handsome guy in color and in b/w πŸ˜„

Posted

πŸ˜‰ Thanks everyone!

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1 in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thanks @Snorticus and @squish5. I'll give it a try.

Posted

This male chimp in ACP000ggob / ACP000ggoc / ACP000ggod could be again Magnus. He is very dark with a visible bigger balding. And - comparing this sequence to e.g. ACP000fm0l - I find that his brows look a bit like a high roof over his eyes. I mean not only the protetction, but the straight line that his forehead displays.

Posted

I agree Anja, I think this is Magnus.

Does someone else want to weigh?

Posted

I can't tell who else he could be so most probably Magnus, yes πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Magnus, agree. His very dark fur is so fluffy & dense on his arms and legs & his brow ridge protrudes rather a lot.

Posted

Great! thanks all

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000fijz ACP000ey20 Look like Magnus to me. Very black fluffy fur on legs ending at ankles as if he is wearing big sweat-pants, deep set eyes and very protruding brow. In ACP000fijy his left ear looks nicely intact.

Posted

Thanks!!

Posted

I think this is Magnus. Bald head, dark back...

ACP000g2un

one

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to PauDG's comment.

Agree, pronounced brow ridge, very dark, fluffy - Magnus.

Posted

Yes, me too, Magnus πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

good, thanks!

Posted

This could be Magnus, right?

ACP000eaq0

one

Posted

Yes, I agree with Magnus. Rounded wide brows, balding fits, black hair and skin all like Magnus. Additionally his backside looks the same as in this Magnus clip: ACP000fijy

from ACP000fijy

Posted

OK, but only because he is so dark. Could not say from the somehow distorted face view.

Posted

Thanks!

Posted

ACP000fb1o - This should be Magnus. All dark back, balding. I am sure that it is neither Baron nor Baba. Also not Filou; and Caruso's back would be grayer.

Posted

I am not sure, It is far, I can not see well the baldness or the back's patron.

Posted

It says that someone else commented after me but there is nothing written. So I am writing this to avoid keep opening the thread everyday πŸ˜‰

Posted