Chimp & See Talk

Lya--Large swelling female

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I am not really proposing a match here. I know hind quarters & especially female hind quarters are tricky. I just want to take note of these females as they seem to have a distinctive and unusually large and floppy swelling & light lower backs. You all know the females better than I do. Do we have a fem who has this characteristic? Neither of these females seems to be around an offspring from the little I can see. Better seen in the clip.

ACP000ekkj - back view only, far right

enter image description here

ACP000esic - Another female with a large swelling, possibly similar but just not full swelling?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000ekkh - First female, side view, far right

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I did not look in any detail in this, but I also think that this is Lya. She has a really big swelling (swollen or not) and is not seen with a dependent offspring. Eleanor and Sabirah are younger and have only a small swelling (without cycling, I think).

There seems to be one other young female with a small swelling (and sometimes actually lightly swollen), but I did not work this out. And this "other one" might be Eleanor.

But I am pretty sure about Lya as the only one with such a large swelling area and heavily swollen back.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Ahh yes, now I see that Lya has this characteristic. Thanks Anja.

ACP000eefx

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

this is awesome!, I agree, it is Lya 😉

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to PauDG's comment.

ACP000ekkh and ACP000ekkj interesting that she pauses as if to see if Baron might be interested in her swelling but he doesn't respond to her at all.

Posted

hahah. There are 4 more videos from this sequence (ACP000ekm7, ACP000ekm9, ACP000ekmb, ACP000ekmd). I guess the male in the first video is Baron, going after Lya 😉

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

LOL maybe Baron just needs some rest 😉

The other two males following in the videos Paula mentioned above seem to be very interested though! I don't know how the hacking order is at this place but Baron seems to get some competition here.

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

I'm not sure if this area is like the ischial callosities on Sulawesi macaques but we were told that as those swell and retract over time they become more wrinkly and floppy. Gravity is not a friend of the ladies! 😉

Posted

LOL

Posted

I think this could be also Lya

ACP000gglg

one

Terrible still images, better watch the video 😃

Posted

Yes, looks like Lya's swelling (if we already found all females at this site).

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I agree on Lya. Body size, typical swelling, no infant around...

Posted

great, thanks!

Posted

ACP000f8y9 - might be Lya again. Not much seen, but large swelling and no offspring around. Image not really worth posting.

Posted

yes, look's like. And not juvenile/infant around, dark back...

Posted