Chimp & See Talk

AVFem18,AVJuv17,AVJuv06--Juvenile with flat muzzle and fluffy hair

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Just came across these two juveniles that look similar to me. I see a rather flat muzzle, defined (as opposed to straight across) brow, very dark mask around the eyes, and round normal ears almost obscured by fluffy hair on the sides of the head. In both sequences, s/he is with a dark, lean (but otherwise unseen) female. I couldn't match against any prospective/known juveniles or families.

ACP000fwuk - the juvenile following the female
    juvenile

and

ACP000fc26 | ACP000fc27

In the back left, female exiting:
    juvenile

Looking toward camera & other juvenile in foreground:
    juvenile

Thoughts?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to ksigler's comment.

ACP000fc25 I had been thinking this one might be Marlyn using his higher status by association with Filou to take the tool and nut spot from the female who then leaves.

May be 2 spots on the back:

enter image description here

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Haha, the previous clip is helpful... thanks, @Snorticus. 😉 And thanks for your suggestion! It doesn't look like Maryln to me, though. His ears are very prominent, and he has a dark nose (see ACP000efsc ). Kamala (who I'm guessing may enjoy the same social boost?) is most likely to be seen with the fluffier hair and dark mask (see ACP000f6m7 ) though the large round stomach isn't obvious here. It also looks like this juvenile may still have a bit of a white tail tuft, when seen from the side as it exits in ACP000fc27, but I'm not positive. So, I guess I would ask two questions now:

Are there other occasions when a female would give a juvenile her spot and tool, or is that a definite sign of social dominance?

What about the first clip? Could that be the same juvenile, whether Marlyn, Kamala, or someone else?

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

I find the face different from Marlyn, and definitely more fluffy hair in the cheeks. And I also do not know who is this female. It is true that they are far, but anyway they do not look familiar to me.

And the other juvenile here, AVJuv06, it's also the only time we have seen him/ her, right?

I am going to add them for now as AVFem18 and AVJuv17 (fluffy hair)

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Thank you, @PauDG ! I agree with your comparison to Marlyn. Yes, that is the only tagged sequence of Juv06, and it's such a great view, I'm surprised it hasn't matched yet.

Anybody have thoughts on the juvenile in ACP000fwuk being a match to AVJuv17?

Posted

About the juv in ACP000fwuk

Maybe is the posture, but to me AVJuv17 looks different. I find the juvenile from ACP000fwuk actually more similar to Juv06. But I am not confident either. I have been watching the videos from Juv06, so maybe that is why. Not very useful, I know 😕

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I think that the juvenile in ACP000fwuk might be Azize. It is traveling very fast, but there is something with the left brow.

Posted

I thought it also, but at the very beginning of the video the eyebrows are visible, and doesn't look like (s)he has a scar. I agree somehow they have a mark in the middle, but more like a muscular thing.

Posted