Chimp & See Talk

AVMale11--Could this guy be Caruso or Magnus or Baron?

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

ACP000fypi and ACP000fypj : I was thinking of Caruso, both have a similar bald patch in their foreheads and the body builds fit too. Right ear seems to be undaged here, like CarusoΒ΄s. What do you think?

ACP000fypi :

enter image description here

AVMale10 (Caruso) in ACP000e363 . Note: the AVMale10 group is not tagged as Caruso, but he was agreed to be Caruso, right?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Caruso is quite a hard guy to match - probably because we have mostly videos of him where he's sitting and munching πŸ˜ƒ
    I think it might be him, there are similarities - but mostly it's because this guy here doesn't fit any other of our known guys. πŸ˜•

Here's a video that supposedly also shows Caruso ACP000fttp . He's the very first to appear. In this video of 6 he doesn't have any ID yet but he looks certainly like Caruso. (Filou, Baba and Magnus (in the following video) are already IDed.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

yes AVMale10 is Caruso, I forgot to add the hashtag. Done, thanks for telling me πŸ˜‰

I find Caruso more fluffy, I think that guy from ACP000fypi reminds me more to Magnus, but I am not sure. It would be just because he doesn't fit with the rest more than a proper match proposal.

Posted

After looking into some Magnus videos I think you might be right.

Magnus in a similar position and surrounding looks much more like this guy here than Caruso. But it's still quite hard to really tell. If he would not be munching all the time we might be able to see his thin lips.

Magnus:

guy from ACP000fypi He has got quite a wide mouth too πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

I agree, difficult.

But Heidi, you are right about the first male in ACP000fttp, has to be Caruso. Definitely looks like him, and Magnus is right after, so should be him. Well seen πŸ˜‰

Posted

May I come up with yet another proposal for this nice male chimp?

I looked into it a bit more and I think I found some arguments that the chimp in ACP000fypi / ACP000fypj could be Baron. (Nuria maybe a TempID would be good, thanks!) Here are my thoughts:

We can see Baron in very different places and light conditiones and at different angles. What remains unchanged is his triangular bald spot on his forehead, the rather straight brows and the fold in his left ear. What I didn't realize before is that he sometimes seems to walk or sit with an open mouth.

Magnus on the other side does look sometimes like Baron (compare the pics where the name is) but sometimes also quite different. Magnus' baldness is wider, across the entire forehead, the brows are more bent and the ears quite close to the head and the left one is regular and has no fold. I think in body size they are about similar, Baron maybe a bit bigger but not by much. Depending on the light both appear to have very dark hair and dark, almost black faces.

Now let's look at ACP000fypi / ACP000fypj : we see a big male with dark face, straight brows, the ears sticking out and he's got his mouth mostly open. All rather Baron-traits than Magnus'. I'm not sure whether his left ear has a fold or not but it has another angle than Magnus' ear.

What do you think? Thanks for your opinion!

Posted

• Orohena by Orohena

I would say Baron. As you said, ears and mouth are Baron-traits.
    I would also say that the nostrils to me seems more like Baron. A bit wider that the one Magnus have.
    The nose/mouth shape of Baron look like an oval ant for Magnus it look likes more a triangle or a drop, the top of the shape is a bit pointed or peaked (sorry for the vocabulary, hope you understand!).
    For the unknown chimp, it look like more oval. So I would stay on Baron.

Posted

Thanks for your input, @Orohena, we can certainly use such good observers as you are! Your kind of description opens up whole new possibilities to look at chimps. It's really great to have you back! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

The case against Baron is for me mainly that his right ear has a visible forward fold that I can't see in this male. His ears seems to be fine (which also rules out Caruso?). I also think that Baron is not that big as the individual here. The nostrils seem to be very broad.

Posted

mmmm very difficult, but I think that the male in ACP000fypi seems bigger than Baron πŸ˜•

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

I have added him ( ACP000fypi ) as AVMale11 πŸ˜‰

Posted

• JoanaPereira by JoanaPereira

Everything points out to Baron, but its true that we canΒ΄t see any fold on the left ear.. I agree with the decision of giving another ID for now πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Thanks Joana!

Posted