Chimp & See Talk

AVMale12--Caruso or Magnus?

• puddock by puddock

This series of clips has a reasonably good view of the male chimp. He looks familiar to me but I can't match him up with any of our known males - anyone got any ideas? Don't think it's Filou. Would love it to be Caruso cos he's my favourite...

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to puddock's comment.

hi @puddock,

I have moved your discussion here 😃

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Thanks @NuriaM - I should know better by now!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Hi @puddock

Nice find! I have an idea but let's wait until the rest of the series has been detected and then we take it from there 😃

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

This is the previous one 😉

ACP000g14e

Posted

And here's the one after ACP000g14h

Wanna give it a try @puddock? happy hunting! 😃

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Will give it a go!

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Looking at the new videos and comparing them with known Caruso clips, I would say it could be him - the colouring looks right, the curve of the brows ...and the behaviour looks right, in particular his watchfulness. On the rare occasions that we see him walking rather than eating (!) he seems to be somewhat gentler and less confident - less of a swagger than some of the other males. I wonder whether he's a relatively senior (ie older) member of the clan...I look forward to seeing everyone else's comments!

Posted

Great puddock,

you could be right, but I personally have problems to distinguish sometimes Caruso and Magnus, specially when they are a bit far and the notch in the Caruso's right ear is not well visible.

As happened to me before with these two, I find Caruso more fluffy than Magnus (I know, not very scientific), but both are very similar. Similar size, body shape, color....

This guy in ACP000g14h (added as AVMale12 in the chimp list):

one
    one

Magnus in ACP000fttq

one

Caruso in ACP000fttq

one

Posted

Again a tricky one and I couldn't make up my mind yet.
    The baldness looks more like Caruso's than Magnus because it seems to be only narrow. Also the brows seem to be quite narrow so that would exclude Magnus as well which has quite wide brows.

The shape of the face/head seems to be smaller and longer than Caruso's and I don't see any greyish hair on his back. Which again let's me think of Baron.

In still 4 we might see a notch in his right ear which would again be consistent with Caruso but the quality is rather bad so I wouldn't bet on it:

enter image description here

Posted

while looking to an other video (that I will post right after this comment), I have been watching again the videos from Caruso and Magnus, and I think that AVMale12's baldness fits better with Magnus. 😕

Posted

And here the new one, with a nice selfie

ACP000fqmk

one
    one

What do you think, Caruso or Magnus? here I don't see a big baldness, maybe Caruso?

Posted

To compare

Caruso: ACP000e361

one

Magnus ACP000fm0l

one

Posted

I'd vote for Caruso in ACP000fqmk 😃 the more narrow brows and almost no balding. Also the back color is more greyish. Magnus is all black.

Posted

Thanks Heidi!

What do you think about AVMale12? Magnus or Caruso

Posted

Hi Paula, I'm still not sure about that male. Please see my comment on page 1 of this thread at the bottom. I could even go for Baron at some point... 😕

Posted

ah right! Then he will still being AVMale12

thanks 😉

Posted

• JoanaPereira by JoanaPereira

Hi,

I would agree that AVMale12 looks more with Magnus, the baldness is very identical.

Posted

Thanks Joana!

Posted