Chimp & See Talk

chimp-leopard "interaction"

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi, are these chimps vocalizing? I am asking because two leopards are crossing in front of this camera in the clip before: ACP0003plf and ACP0003pli Might not be related to each other, but why not?

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

I can hear a "danger-hoot" in second 2-3. Do you mean this? But it seems like far distance.

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

I am not really hearing what sounds like a chimp but it may be I haven't heard danger hoots before. Seems too high pitched or a bird call.

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

@zoogirl you are right, it is not precise formulated: It might be, what I'm call danger-cry ... this very highpitched sound. For me sounds like a chimp. "hoot" is not the right word I think, because hoot is more according (is that the right term?)

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist

Hi all, yes I think the call is a chimp at least the low first call is an alarm bark and the high pitched call at the end is a scream, does not have to be the same individual. @Anland, very cool find with the leopards beforehand, would make sense that the chimps make an alarm bark if they sensed/saw the leopards! Nice 😃

Posted

Very cool! Thank you. Our second (almost direct) interaction between leopard & chimp at this site.

If you are new(er) at Chimp & See, that was the other occasion: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000j/discussions/DCP00005sm

Posted

I think I stitched the chimp-leopard interaction together. We have two leopards, one of them and better seen is a male. The other one is smaller and might be a female. The male has the same pattern on the left hindlimb and is indeed the same.

November 5th, 2013

10.52 am

• ACP0003pld – LeoMaleMF01 walks left
    • ( ACP0003plg – empty)
    • ACP0003plj – chimp vocalization (from direction where leopard went)
    • ACP0003plm – LeoMaleMF01 comes back behind the log, walks to the right, more chimp vocalization

10.56 am

• ACP0003plf – LeoMaleMF01 again from the right
    • ACP0003pli – LeoMaleMF01 on the left, joint by another leopard (female as smaller?) behind fallen trunk
    • ACP0003pll – second one still seen behind log
    • ACP0003pln – again chimp vocalization (from direction where leopards went)

Posted