Chimp & See Talk

Puck (LeoFemAV01 / LeoUnclearAV01) - small female leopard (maybe subadult)

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I am going to add this individual as LeoFemAV01 to the prospective leopards list. I think that this is a female as no testicles are seen. She also looks small and with dense rosettes on the back fur indicating that she might not been fully grown up. It is hard to say without any direct comparison, but I add her here as a subadult. This is open for discussion.

We see mutiple view of the fur and a good face view in two adjacent video sequences: ACP000ecv1 and ACP000ecvh / ACP000ecvj. Hopefully we can find her again.

enter image description here

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Could this be LEOFEMAV01 ACP000f0ad ?? size is good. ears look big.

Posted

Thanks a lot for this proposal!

I am going to add this new individual as LeoUnclearAV01 to the prospective leopards list. Sex is not clear. I agree that the leopard looks small and might be a subadult as well. The size of the ears in comparison to the head are a good observation. I had my eyes on the subadulthood of this leopard as well, but paid more attention to the bigger paws (in relation to body size).

I need a bit time to think about the match and study your screenshots (and make some myself). I see roughly the same structure of the spots, but I am not sure as they look a bit wider-spaced in the earlier (i.e., the new) videos. Please give me some days!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Thanks @AnLand I feel that the night videos reflect the brighter skin better, making it brighter and as a result darker patches are less prominent or appear smaller. Just an observation, but its the only way i can explain that leg (paw shape on top, angry face just under it. Face is looking at camera in colour insert and looking to the left in main pic which would suit the angle of the leg). Thanks again

Posted

If that's OK for everybody, I would like to keep this discussion open for more opinions and maybe some input from the science team later. I am not entirely convinced and would base the match at the moment more on assumptions about this perceived subadult than on actual hard evidence. I totally see your point, @squish5, and our experience with night videos is limited, but that's why we should be extra careful.

I also think / hope that we will find additional leopard video material and maybe also her again. Sorry, I hope that's not too disappointing.

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

No bother @AnLand, I was looking too much at the size and ears of the leopard. And the pictures were not convincing as a result. Better to get the evidence together and overlook these assumptions 😃 Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it and no doubt this leopard will show up again 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I would like to support @squish5 in this match.

In the two pics I can clearly see the paw and the face (not angry for me but with sunglasses 😃) as pointed out by @squish5. Additionally I found two more similarities: one is just above the paw. I've drawn the lines next to the square that I think look the same. The other one is under the face. Two spots close together at the same place.

The tip of the tail looks a bit odd to me. It seems to be a bit flattened and slightly bent inward.
    About the age of this youngster here I would say she's not more than one year old if not less. The pic I posted from the leopard in the tree in the Tau thread was a little over one year according to our guide. And he knew his leopards very well 😃 This one here looks smaller and the paws, which are a good indicater as @AnLand said, are quite big in relation to the legs.

LeoFemaleAV01

LeoUnclearAV01

Posted

I am still a bit irritated by the spacing of the pattern. The structure agrees, though.

@Boleyn, could you please post your screenshot of LeoUnclearAV01 without the annotation here as well. I would like to see without the red frames guiding the eye.

I will look into it as soon as possible, but it might take some days as my next week is really full. Thank you!

Posted

I will just post an image from Jelani here (by @squish5) in this thread to help our discussion with the spot / rosette spacing. The image is from the known leopard list. Click on the image for bigger size.

The image consists of three original images: on the left a colored screenshot. The others are genuine b/w images from the early morning and evening (dawn and dusk). The spacing of the spots in the monochromatic (b/w) images seems to be wider indeed.

one

You can also compare with this image from Jelani - that has been modified into b/w from a colored video and does not show the widening effect.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Sure can, @AnLand, and take your time! It's really interesting how the night images show wider bright spaces. I think we can also see this with chimps and their grey backs and different looking features at night while in daylight they look sometimes completely different.

For LeoUnclearAV01 it's still shot 5 from ACP000f0ad

Posted

I got another (positive) opinion on this proposed match from a friend, so if nobody disagrees until Sunday we will do the match.

I also tagged now a video in between from the original LeoFemAV01 sequence to allow everyone to check again the face view: ACP000ecvi

Posted

Nobody disagreed, so let's name this young leopard. Because of the color footage (ACP000ecvh etc.). we assume that she is a female subadult.

@squish5, you proposed and defended this match: how would you like to name her?

Posted

• squish5 by squish5 in response to AnLand's comment.

Thanks!! Would you like to name this one @AnLand or someone else?? I got to name one very recently.

Posted

Thanks @squish5! I already named the very first leopard (with an injury) back in Muddy Frost: "Iskandar". I will think who could and should name and come back here a bit later. Thanks again!

Posted

OK, so I would like to invite @puddock to choose a name for this leopard.

Posted

go @puddock go! 😄

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Woo hoo! Very excited to be asked to name this lovely leopard - will ponder and get back as soon as I can 😃

Posted

• puddock by puddock

I've had a think, and I would like to suggest Puck as the name for this playful leopard. Puck is the mischievous spirit in Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream and, with the way this beautiful leopard was playing with the camera, the name seemed to fit 😃

Posted

Wonderful name and wonderful play by Shakespeare! Thanks @puddock!

Posted

Ah what a great idea, @puddock, love the name!

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

I love that name!

Posted