Chimp & See Talk

Sunday training ground: Leopard at Dawn Bird (Shiva - LeoUnclearDB01)

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

To move the leopard discussion forward and also as part of the Sunday training ground 😉 I post here a match proposal that the mods were discussing while thinking about how to organize and visualize the leopard matching. The matching proposal for this leopard is from @jwidness and she provided the annotated screenshots.

These are the only two leopard videos from Dawn Bird and it seems to be the same individual. What do you think?

ACP0007i1o

enter image description here

ACP0007hh4 and ACP0007hh7

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Hi,
    It's my first try at matching leopards, so apologies if I'm being a bit simplistic. I did pull off the pictures and annotate them but I'm afraid I can't for the life of me work out how to post them back here. Will keep on experimenting and hopefully manage it eventually.
    To my inexperienced eye, it certainly looks as though it could well be the same leopard. The most obvious feature that looks the same in both shots is the dark mark above its left eye which to me looks a bit like a child's version of a Christmas tree. In the first clip there appears to be a similar mark on its right side, but unfortunately this is off camera in the second clip.
    The other bit that looks the same to me, on both clips, is the bit you've already marked - two elongated commas, facing each other, near to, but a bit further down the nose than the previously mentioned mark.
    The right ear on both clips has quite a pronounced inward curve in the middle of it but I'm not sure if this is a distinguishing feature, or something that is seen on a lot of leopards.
    Now that I'm beginning to get my eye in, will go back to the AV leopards and have another go - and hopefully by then I'll have worked out how to post annotated photos!

Posted

Hi @Batfan,

great ideas and description. I will discuss when you posted your images. What you need to do is the following: you need to upload the image somewhere. I use for instance imgur. When uploaded, you need a direct link, i.e., a link that ends with xxx.jpg or yyy.png.

You then choose from the toolbar the image icon here framed in red:

A separate window opens where you copy in your link:

Press OK and you're done. With "Show Preview" - seen in the lower left corner of the image above - you can control whether the image is actually shown. Its size will re-adjust once you submit your posting.

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Hi @Anland. Really sorry to be so needy, but when the photos are uploaded on Imgur (which I managed to do) how do you get a direct link? I'm afraid I'm not very technologically-minded!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Batfan's comment.

You click on the image. It opens in a separate window with several different links on the right side. You take the second one, which is called "Direct Link". This one you copy into the Talk window as described above.

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Hi @Anland. It's just not happening for me at the moment, I'm afraid! Will have a word with a more computer-literate friend at some point later and get it sorted. Thanks for your patience.

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

I would like to put some input in, I think it is the same leopard. That area around the left eye looks a great match as Batfan said. AnLands pics are pretty bang on too.

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

I will agree as well. Looks like the same to me.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I agree, they're the same. Funny fact: It was also that dark spot above the left eye which let me think of a handdrawn christmas-tree - exactly as @Batfan 😄 and additionally the upper of the two shapes @jwidness pointed out which look like a pair of paranthesis.

I just wish the leopards would always show themselfs from the same perspective! :S

Posted

Great! Thanks for all your opinions and descriptions. I still would love to see @Batfan's approval pictures. Christmas tree would not have been my most spontaneous description, but I can see it now. I did not hear back from @jwidness whether she wants to name this leopard herself, but I think she would be OK with moving forward.

If nobody disagrees, I would like to ask @squish5 for a name as he/she has been very active in the leopard section (and beyond 😃 ). @Batfan and @Boleyn already named a leopard and we will find another one for @zoogirl1 😉

So, what should we call this leopard? Sex is unclear (female?). So maybe a more neutral name would be good (but is not really required).

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Still struggling with technology I'm afraid but will hopefully get there eventually - perhaps in time for the next one if not this one. The Christmas tree description probably comes from the fact that I used to work with young children and their typical drawing of a Christmas tree normally used to consist of two or three triangle shapes on top of each other. Old habits and all that .....!

I agree with you that @Squish5 certainly deserves the chance to name this one, and hopefully there'll be another one soon for @Zoogirl1.

Have been looking through clips to see if I can find another clip of one with a broken/damaged tail ACP000gnta but so far no joy. will keep on looking.

Posted

So, I will add this matched leopard as LeoUnclearDB01 until we have a name.

(I will open a new discussion for the one with the broken tail.)

Posted

• squish5 by squish5 in response to AnLand's comment.

Sorry @AnLand my name is Mick from Cork in Ireland, I have no experience in any form of research but I have always had a healthy obsession with David Attenborough and now have lots of time on my hands 😃

I would be delighted to name this leopard!!! It does appear to be on the smaller side so I do agree with it being female. Not too sure if the name should be linked to the area or what the standard procedure is. But I do like the name Shiva which is probably more feminine, Fianna (Fee-ana) is an Irish language name and I'm sure it is an ancient male or female warrior. I don't know really, anyone else have a suggestion??

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

I really like both of those and think that either would be great.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to squish5's comment.

Great name suggestions! But we need to settle with only one name. @squish5: you need to choose!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Shiva is probably better for a big cat so I will go with that. Thanks again for the opportunity 😃 😃 @AnLand and team

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Oooo - great choice 😃 I look forward to seeing you name someone else Fianna in the future @squish5 ! what a lovely name and origin 😃

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Thanks @MimiA, I will need to get some chimps identified first!! Learning all the time though so shouldn't be much longer........I hope!!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

looking forward to it and thanks so much for working with us!!! 😄

Posted

OK, Shiva it is! Great name for this nice cat.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Hey Mick from Cork, a godly name for a godly creature! 😃

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Cheers @Boleyn, you got the creature part right anyway lol

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

Great name and I am looking forward to get to name one also!

Thanks

Posted