Chimp & See Talk

Leopard question

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I have a question or something for discussion, maybe even the science team could help.

I am looking since quite some time in the videos ACP000fyoz (October 2014) and ACP000fyqe (November 2014). They are from the same camera, six weeks apart. The individual is rather small, so I think female. (Compare to ACP000fynb from the same camera perspective with a far bigger individual, a male?)

I am not even sure whether they are a match. But she looks as if she is pregnant in both videos. When I compare with some other videos of females, e.g., ACP000emqy - they always look rather lean. With a gestation time of 90 to 105 days, six weeks of visible pregnancy might also be a stretch. So, I really don't know. But maybe others have an opinion and some scientist could provide his/her opinion?

This is the same camera where we see in December 2014 a cub in ACP000fymx, but a rather big cub. The other video with a cub ACP000emqy is February 2015. That would be more likely, but of course, this is all only speculation.

But the question is - does she look more heavy at her belly and might she be pregnant, rather than just full? What do others think?

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I'll ask around πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Here is what I got πŸ˜ƒ

Hey Mimi,
    It is really had to say from this angle. It does look like an adult female, and it is certainly possible that she’s pregnant. This bulge can also just be caused by a good meal, however, and would look very similar on a male. Sorry to not be able to be of more help!
    Best wishes,
    Philipp

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Thanks so much, maybe we can find out more later with more footage. So, I will try at least to match her and look at the female(s) with a cub.

Posted