Chimp & See Talk

Match proposal - Tau

• squish5 by squish5

enter image description here

Main pic-Tau- ACP00004bi

Left insert-proposed Tau- ACP00005qr

Right insert-proposed Tau- ACP0000cgg

Focus on small spot and rosettes around it. Not sure if this is a good reference but lots of (possible) Tau clips with this spot from this angle.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Wow, you really get a hang on this! This looks promising: the small dot and on the left of this (upper corner, at 1 o'clock) the big spot with a triangular "hat" on. What do others think?

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Thanks a million, finding it enjoyable actually 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Great work @squish5!!

Looks like a match to me too. Although the left insert is from a slightly different angle I can still see the same shapes and white space in between.

Posted

OK, so let's tag these videos. Thanks!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

These are some clips I saved while working on same area, and more. All proposals but all in relation to same pattern so I just stuck them all together.

Top left- ACP0000cqb Top center- ACP0000cr8 Top right- ACP0000cxr

Bottom left- ACP0000cjp Bottom center- ACP00005tk Bottom right- ACP0000d24

Posted

Thanks @squish5! That's quite a collection. I will look into the videos more during the weekend.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Those look all like Tau to me, great job @squish5!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Thanks @Boleyn, sorry there is so many @AnLand. Was on auto pilot, I must be suffering from duiker fatigue 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to squish5's comment.

I totally can understand this. I am often doing the same: being tired of one task, just switch to another ...

OK, sorry for being late. I agree definitely on: ACP0000cr8, ACP0000cxr, ACP0000cjp, and ACP00005tk - as I can here not only see the pattern you indicated on the right hindlimb, but also see Tau's left hindlimb pattern clearly.

I would like to delay ACP0000d24 and ACP0000cqb a bit as I need to check this again.

Thanks so much!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Thanks very much @AnLand. Just wondering, these are from Quietwood which is site #1. Are people in general still working on old sites??

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to squish5's comment.

Hi @squish5, with some others, I answered this partly in your other question thread. Basically, and for the leopards, we just started this leopard matching for all sites in January. So, yes, we are for some questions / mini-projects still working in the old sites.

Besides of this, I think it is sometimes fun to change tasks once in a while. 😃

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Thanks @AnLand Great info 😃

Posted

OK, I looked again into ACP0000d24 and ACP0000cqb again - the left hindlimb is barely seen; in ACP0000d24 a bit better and here I would be OK with what I'm seeing (as an additional proof). Additionally, I think that Tau often walks a bit stiffly. I cannot really describe it, maybe it's just the long limbs and high hips, but the gait is recognizable and I do see it in both clips. Everything points to Tau and the right hindlimb pattern definitely agrees, so I will tag now.

Thanks a lot!

Posted

What we need to check now - having a few frontal views from Tau - is whether ACP0000d25 (two minutes after ACP0000d24 at same camera) - is Tau again coming back. We should take this as this week's Training Ground!

Body size agrees with male.

Tau

Posted

• squish5 by squish5 in response to AnLand's comment.

Thanks Anja. I agree I think there is a certain smoothness and confidence to his movements that you maybe don't see in females and sub adults. He is the boss 😃 Possibly the same for high ranking chimps. Just my opinion though which of course I have no proof what so ever.to back up 😃

I came across this clip before but could not get a good match to back it up. I would be confident that Tau was not replaced by another leopard during the 4 second gap even though it is a marking site. So i will post the best I could find and agree with @AnLand. 😃

Posted

Hm, hard to tell. I am pretty sure that he is coming back, but for the sake of the project, we should check and have a proof.

The only other view I found from his left body side is ACP0000cqb and ACP0000cqe - and I am struggling to find a fix point. So, I am just posting this here. Maybe we can figure out something together.

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Cool, I'll have another look tomorrow. Struggling to find a good match on him.

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

This is about the best that I can put together anyway, sorry about the delay 😃 I cannot confirm this red dot in the color picture but the blue dots match well. Yellow area is average too. Sorry, cant link link it to ACP0000cqe either.

Posted

Thanks @squish5! Hm, that is really a hard one. I find the blue dots most convincing, but I'm afraid, I am not there now. (Provided that I am quite sure that this is the same individual for circumstantial reasons!)

Additionally, I tried to get some look into the facial feature. The major thing that catched my eye is the big very light streak of fur above the left eye that runs down to his cheek. I see it more as an indicator, though. The different light condition between darkness, dusk/dawn and daylight videos make it really hard.

ACP0000d25

ACP0000cqb and ACP0000cqe

http://i.imgur.com/e8Vczm0.png

Posted

@squish5 made two additional matching proposals for Tau in the video comments and as we have some other on-going discussions and I agree, I just tagged: ACP0000ch9 and ACP0000cl1. If anybody disagrees, we will of course review this!

Thanks @squish5!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Thanks @AnLand, sorry I didn't post proof. looks good tho 😃

Posted