Chimp & See Talk

Kito (LeoMaleAV05, b, c, d) - Sunday Training Ground

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

It's Sunday again! I pulled out four Aged Violet leopard videos with a really good view of the left hindlimb of the individual seen. Most of the videos show clearly that we talking again about a male. And that he is quite big. Three videos are from August 2014, one is from January 2015.

Look at the images and linked videos and discuss with me. Here are the questions:

1) Do all or some of these videos show the same leopard?

2) Is one or more of these videos a match to Jelani?

3) Is one or more of these videos a match to Kani?

(You can find annotated screenshots of all known and prospective leopards here.)

ACP000e1gk

enter image description here enter image description here

ACP000fipa

enter image description here

ACP000fl3u

enter image description here enter image description here

ACP000frfe

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

This is what I think:

1. Yes they are all the same leopard. Three spots down the left back leg in a small, medium, large pattern line down on all.

2. Yes Jelani

3. Not Kani

Posted

Thanks @zoogirl1 for a first opinion! Here another visual help for everybody. (Click on the image for a larger version.)

one

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Sorry @AnLand, had some trouble with internet but all good now 😃 Good job putting this together.

1-Yes, the first 3 are the same leopard. Good example of different light effects the pictures.

2-I think this leopard is Jelani

3-The last pic is a different leopard but I can't match for now, have a better look later 😃

Posted

Are there any more opinions about these new videos here? It seems that we all agree that it is not Kani and that it might be the same leopard.

Without deciding here anything just briefly my opinion: I think these four videos show the same leopard. But I also think it's neither Kani nor Jelani - as I do not see any of the identified spot pattern of Jelani (the "8", the ice cream cone, the pattern on the tail). This would be interesting of course, as we did see Jelani on this camera as well. That also means that we need to be careful, but I really cannot see Jelani's spot pattern here.

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Yes I agree, couldnt match to any known leopards but i don't think its Jelani. In reference to the last pic.

Posted

There seems to be a preliminary agreement that in ACP000e1gk / ACP000fipa / ACP000fl3u / ACP000frfe we see the same leopard and it's neither Jelani nor Kani. To help with a final decision, I post here another collage that marks the same spot pattern in the four screenshots with different (but corresponding) colors. It guides the eyes a bit more - and is more suggestive with this - but maybe it helps to get some more opinion. If we agree, we could name our third (third!) big male at Aged Violet. Quite an unexpected outcome, I have to admit.

With markings

Without the markings for comparison

Posted

I gave the temp ID: #LeoMaleAV05 / #LeoMaleAV05b / #LeoMaleAV05c / #LeoMaleAV05d

In the prospective list, they will get one single posting for now.

Posted

If there are no other opinions - and most importantly no disagreements to this proposed match! - I think we should move forward and name this guy. I will ask @junemb, who is a new volunteer for a name.

Thanks all!

Posted

OK, we have a name: @junemb has chosen Kito (which means "jewel") for this handsome guy. I am going to tag him, update the prospective/known list, and hopefully we will find him again. Thanks @junemb and everybody!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Great name!! 😄

Posted