Chimp & See Talk

Coming soon! Ask Us Anything - 2nd Chimp&See Anniversary Board - April 25th, 2017

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi Chimp&See citizen scientists!

Chimp&See will celebrate its second anniversary on april 22nd!

To commemorate this amazing occasion, the Chimp&See science team will host a special “Ask Us Anything” (AUA) event that will be held here on Tuesday, April 25th, 2017.

Members of the science team will be online between 4 and 6 p.m. UTC to answer all the questions you might have about the project, its research questions, field work, preliminary results, lessons learned, and future directions. We're also happy to discuss our research, conservation and field experience so go ahead and Ask Us Anything 😃 To learn more about the science team beforehand, check out our Introductions, the PanAfrican Programme: The Cultured Chimpanzee Website and the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology website

For easier access, here again the scheduled time for the event (attention: it’s daylight saving time on the Northern hemisphere!):
    4 p.m. UTC (Coordinated universal time is not on summer / daylight saving time!)

**- 5 p.m. BST (London)

• 6 p.m. CEST (Leipzig / Berlin)
    • 12 p.m. EDT (New York)
    • 9 a.m. PDT (Los Angeles)
    • 2 a.m. AEST – (Melbourne. Sorry, it’s very early!)**

The board will open on April 25th a few hours before the AUA starts so that you can post questions before the event starts if you want. If we don't get to your question during the AUA we will be sure to get to it in the days that follow and, of course, you can always ask chimp-related and other questions at the regular “Questions for the science team” board

Posted

The board is open now - you can already start asking questions and we'll be online at 6pm Leipzig time to start the Ask Us Anything! See you then! 😄

To ask us question open a new discussion here: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000u

Posted

We're ready to start - we'll do roll call 😃

The science team today is:

Posted

Mimi Arandjelovic - project/research coordinator for the Pan African Programme: The Cultured Chimpanzee (PanAf) and lead scientist on the PanAf citizen science, genetics and genomics projects. My research primarily has focused on non-invasive methods for studying wild primates 😃

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

Maureen McCarthy - post-doc in the PanAf Programme. I study chimpanzee socio-demographic patterns via camera trap videos (including those on Chimp&See). My PhD research focused on using genetic markers to study a population of chimpanzees in fragmented habitat in Uganda.

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist

Ammie Kalan-postdoc researcher for the PanAf programme. My research is concerned primarily with chimpanzee communication, culture and conservation. Currently I am leading the Animal Selfies project with the PanAf data.

Posted

• pinkynz by pinkynz scientist

Hey! I am Gaelle! Nice to meet you all!

I am a botanist and part of the PANAF science team. I am pretty new to anything chimp. My tasks are related to the data that has been collected aside the camera traps: data about the vegetation, about fruit availability and chimps diet. I'll be using some of the camera trapping information for my trapping, so I am grateful to you all for the awesome job that you do here!

Posted

• LirSam by LirSam scientist

Liran Samuni - phd student, studying some of the proximate mechanisms of social relationships and cooperative behaviour in wild chimpanzees 😃

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

Erin Wessling - PhD student at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. I study the behavioral ecology chimpanzees living in a savanna-woodland landscape in Senegal, essentially at the very limits of their range! I use all sorts of crazy methods in my research, including endocrinology and stable isotope ecology.

Posted

• Lesterj1972 by Lesterj1972 scientist

Jack Lester- PhD student. I am studying demographic history and population parameters of chimpanzee populations sampled for the PanAf project using non-invasive genetic methods.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Nuria Maldonado - an environmentalist specialized in ecology by the University of Helsinki. I have collaborated with my home University in Elche (Spain) in conservation ecology projects by making monthly censuses and radio trackings of different species of birds. I have experience in rescue centers and in my last years I have been working hard for the protection and conservation of wildlife , and for the development of zoo animals' welfare worldwide -especially elephants- through different organizations and our own association.

Posted

Some of the Science Team ready to answer your questions from the MPI-EVA in Leipzig, Germany

Some of the Science Team ready to answer your questions from the MPI-EVA in Leipzig, Germany

Posted