Chimp & See Talk

Clip discoveries

• Snorticus by Snorticus

What has been the most exciting thing you have seen in the clips we have classified so far?

Posted

• pinkynz by pinkynz scientist

My favorite will forever be the duiker fail 😄

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWZu9EU8XMw

Posted

• squish5 by squish5 in response to pinkynz's comment.

Ha Ha Ha, thats very good

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

@pinkynz - that is my favourite too!!! it always makes me smile and i really didn't expect to see wildlife being so ungraceful!

I also was surprised by how red Roux is! I have never seen a chimp like that before 😃 https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000fm

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Have you seen other color variations in chimps? I was stunned when I first saw Roux but I assumed there must be variations that I was just not aware of, are there?

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

Hi @Snorticus , I've never seen a chimp as red as Roux (although many chimps tend to gray on the lower back and 'beard' as they get older), however at Fongoli it is quite common that chimps have depigmentation on the skin (perhaps somehow related to constant sun exposure?). Apparently this is rather uncommon in the chimp world!

Ross the chimp
    Ross #2

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to pinkynz's comment.

That one always makes me chuckle too - so many tasty mushrooms on that slick log!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to northernlimitptv's comment.

How did you go about ID-ing chimps when you first encountered them in the field in Fongoli? Are they all already known and named?

Posted

I came late to the game, so when I arrived to Fongoli they were already well known and named! However when I started to familiarize myself to the chimps I really studied the ears and behinds the most as these were the most obvious characteristics I could use to ID chimps at first. Unfortunately the depigmentation didn't help me so much at first (although now that I am familiar with what to look for it really helps ), simply because lighting can be really tricky when there's full sun vs. partial shade vs. full shade. It can play tricks on you!

Posted

I think all of us would very much agree with you about the lighting issues!

Posted

Don't get me started!

Posted

😄

Posted