Chimp & See Talk

Yakini: Heavy looking male walking away from breakfast

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

How about a TempID for this handsome male in video ACP000dmvj ?

His built is sturdy and massy, mostly black hair, grey at the lower back and on backside of the thighs. He's got a white, short beard and some white hair at the side of the cheeks and probably also around the small ears which stick out a little. A round head and short muzzle, fleshy nose, all black. Quite narrow, only slightly rounded brows and an almost square bald spot above the brows.

At this time I can't say much more about his ears but he seems to have some issues: On his right ear I can't see an earlobe when playing the video slowly and the left one might have a deformation or a fold.

enter image description here

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

So handsome ❤

#GSMale01 , thanks @Boleyn!!

Posted

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

Same guy or different in video ACP000dshq? They both have broad noses and a similar balding pattern. There is a knob or something on the right side of his head, in front of his ear and in line with his brow (As seen below), which I am not sure is present on GSMale01. GSMale01 does appear to have flecks of lighter hair at the edges of his brow, which I don't see in this guy, but the lighting is different.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

Wow, this one is hard.

I think the chimp in ACP000dshq has a thinner face in general, but it might be due to the light. We don´t even know if it a male or a female. It would be great to see his left ear, in case s/she has a cut like GSMale01 😕

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

I can give him/her a tempID ( #GSUNCLEAR02 ) jutst to keep him/her tracked.

Also, we have a nice face view of the first juvenile. #GSJuv02

thanks @lauraklynn 😃

Posted

Video ACP000dph2 shows an adult which reminds me a lot of GSMale01.

Unfortunately we can't see whether it's a male or female but s/he looks massive as a male to me. We can't see the lower back and the thighs either but the face looks quite similar: dark skin, white beard, fleshy nose, also brows and bald spot seem to have the same shape. Black hair where it's visible. The knee might be a bit greyish.

And this chimp has a deformed right ear as asumed for GSMale01 as well.

compare to GSMale01

I hope the other clips will pop up soon for classification and we'll hopefully see more!
    What do others think? Thanks!

Posted

Hi @Boleyn!

hmmmm, I´m not that sure here 😕 . I see a couple of differences between GSMale01 and this new one:

GSMale01´s face looks rounder to me

GSMale01´s brows are thinner and straighter

GSMale01´s nostrils looks smaller

GSMale01´s muzzle looks rounder too

The new guy´s (now GSUNCLEAR03) face looks in general more bony and large. His right ear seems to be a bit bent at the top while GSMale01´s right ear looks rounder to me (see in ACP000dmvj at sec. 7)

right GSMale01 ( ACP000dmvj ) / left GSUNCLEAR03 ( ACP000dph2 )

I hope we can see more of him/her soon.

Anyone else wants to share an opinion about it?

Posted

What do you think about this male here: ACP000cuvy found by @puddock @Orohena and @therrim and ACP000cuw2 by @Orohena and @Puve

I think he looks very much like GSMale01: same heavy bulit, grey back and legs, there is something odd with his left ear like assumed with Male01. Same shiny balding spot on forehead, narrow, bent brows, fleshy nose and all the white around his face. The only thing I cannot see with GSMale01 is the crease on the new guys groin. But we see him more from the side and maybe that's why we can't see it with Male01 - or it might be something temporary?

from ACP000cuvy

from ACP000cuw2

compared to GSMale01

Posted

thanks @Boleyn! I agree with you, I think this new guy could be GSMale01. The thing with his groin could be temporary, as it is a hair issue I think (maybe the result of grooming or scraching himself 😕 )

more thoughts?

for the moment he´s #GSMale01b and the lady following #GSFem08 😃

Posted

That was a long waiting time but I think @Batfan finally found a new video of GSMale01: ACP000ds7k

It's not the best view but the key features seem to be quite obvious: dark, round face with greyish muzzle surrounded by grey hair, square bald spot on forehead, narrow brows only slightly bent, small ears, the left one somehow crumpled, greyish back, massive built.

I think ACP000dr62 could be him as well. According to the spreadsheet it's 7 minutes later. Very likely that he's still here, especially when we see his buddy still lying there in the axact same position 😃

Posted

Absolutely!!!

I see the same guy here:

ACP000ds7k :

and GSMale01 in ACP000dmvj :

If we all agree, we are going to need a name. @Boleyn, you still didn´t name any chimp at Green Snowflake??? 😮

Posted

That's right, @NuriaM, so far I was quite reluctant with the matching process at GS. But I'm catching up 😃
    Thanks for the opportunity to name this handsome guy. I think he needs a special name.

Let's name him Yakini which means truth, confidence in Swahili.

Posted

The good-looking Yakini...I love it!

Thanks 😃

Posted

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

ACP000dr9k tagged by @Orohena

So this is tricky, but I think this is Yakini again on the right. Not a lot to go on, but the video is near ACP000ds7k and ACP000dr62 in sequence and the backs of both of them look like a match to the 2 individuals in those videos. The other individual looks familiar too, but I'm not sure if he (I think he) has an ID yet (I'm thinking perhaps it could be GSUNCLEAR03, but I am by no means certain). In any case, he appears to be missing part of his left index finger. He does not look like Eliot to me.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

Thanks Laura,

I don´t think that he (?) is Eliot, and I´m not 100% sure about Unclear03

And I agree that this big guy is Yakini:

Yakini´s back in ACP000dr62 :

and this guy´s back in ACP000dr9k :

Posted

Since @AnLand supposed it as well I post it here. We both think this is Yakini
    ACP000dsk2 ACP000dsk0

Posted

I agree with you guys.

This is Yakini in ACP000dr9k :

and ACP000dsk0 :

the lower parts of their backs are lighter, like their heads in both cases. Also, the shape of the lighter back areas fit. That´s Yakini 😃

Posted

And this here is another of the known series @Batfan found ACP000dr9i
    I think the other one is Bohr. The white spot on his right forehead is clearly seen.

Posted

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

I agree. The other guy looks like Bohr.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

ACP000dmlp and ACP000dmlq - this looks like Yakini (on the left) and Bohr (licking the camera). Bohr is better seen with his white spot on the forehead in the unclassified ACP000dmlo

Posted

It looks as if we also have two best male friends at Greensnowflake 😃 I just found this video ACP000dr5q which is absolutley gorgeous: One chimp is patting the hand of the other, as if to say: don't worry, everything is fine, pal! The one in the back, patting, looks like Yakini and the one in front is Bohr. White spot well seen.

I wonder if this behaviour is common with chimps?? For me it's the first time in almost three years now that I have witnessed something like this.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

ACP000ds77 - ACP000ds79 - Yakini reaches out and does a "finger twiddle" thing with #GSUNCLEAR06 here. How interesting that we have him touching hands in different ways in two different clips. I have a chimp cues collection of chimps touching but it is usually adult females cueing juveniles.

Posted

ACP000dr9i = Bohr with Yakini

ACP000dmlp and ACP000dmlq = Bohr and Yakini

ACP000dr5q = Bohr and Yakini

Thanks so much ladies!

Heidi, as far as I know, this "handshaking" behaviour is a cultural way of communicating, differing from group to group and not depending on genetics or environment, like the different ways of tool use that we have seen so far. This might explain why we haven´t seen this bahaviour in the other sites.

Maybe Mimi can tell us more about it?

Posted

So this means that GSUNCLEAR06 is Bohr!!

This is part of the "handshaking" series:

ACP000ds77 : GSUNCLEAR06

ACP000ds79 : GSUNCLEAR06

ACP000ds7b : GSUNCLEAR06,
    Bohr´s head white spot clearly seen

ACP000ds7d : GSUNCLEAR06

ACP000dr5q :Bohr

ACP000dreb : Bohr, with the GSUNCLEAR06´s right wrist white spot

(...)

😃

Posted

Thanks @Snorticus and @NuriaM - I'm looking forward to Mimi's answer 😃

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist

I just saw this fantastic series. This looks to me like a reassurance gesture. I would guess that Yakini may be subordinate to Bohr, and by stretching his hand out to Bohr he is getting reassurance before approaching and feeding next to him. The tapping/touching between them indicates that Yakini is invited to approach and co-feed and all will remain friendly between the two. Touch is very important for reassurance seeking gestures and you can always find more examples of reassurance gestures on youtube, etc.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to akalan's comment.

Thanks, very interesting..the good old Bohr 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to akalan's comment.

Thank you Ammie!

So this gesture is more like "...everything ok, boss"? than "...everything ok, pal!" 😃

I found some videos of chimpanzee reassurance gestures on youtube and also some images in the google search as well as entire studies. One of the most interesting things I learned is that all chimpanzee populations develop their own gesture languages. I think this involves a lot of empathy and intelligence!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000drbm - ACP000drbn - This looks like Bohr again. Spot on right side of head, light muzzle, slight curve to brow.

ACP000drbn

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thanks!

Posted

@Jeni92127 found this video ACP000dmur showing Yakini when he arrives at the log.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000dmo8 - Might this be as @AnLand says Yakini, @NuriaM ? if it is then ACP000dmoa - is also him.

Posted

Thank you ladies...yes, I agree on Yakini in all three videos

Posted

Anja mentioned this guy in here and I am pretty sure that this could be Yakini:

ACP000dto2 /
    ACP000dtd6 :

what do you guys think?

Posted

In the meantime I'm super-cautious with Yakini 😛

Although this chimp here has a bit of Yakini-look I'd say no because I think the face is longer, the hair too dark, the brows too protruding, the built not heavy enough and I miss the grey hair on the cheeks. In general I think he looks more like GSMale09 in ACP000dph2 but I don't have enough proof for this match either. Sorry!

GSMale09

Posted

thanks Heidi, it could make sense 😕

any more thoughts? is the male in ACP000dto2 / ACP000dtd6 Yakini or GSMale09?

Posted

Nuria, could you please check videos from ACP000dmq7 through ACP000dmqi in the spreadsheet I think they all show Yakini, best seen in the first clip. Lots of grey hair and the face is also shortly seen. Thanks!

Posted

I agree on Yakini.

This is Yakini in ACP000dr62

and ACP000dmq7 :

Thanks Heidi!!

Posted

It's nice to see our chimps move for once in ACP000d380 and ACP000d382 I think the first male walking to the right is Yakini: hardly discernible brows, shape of head and baldness, whitish beard and sideburns, grey back and legs:

Posted

I agree with you, this guy looks like Yakini. Thoughts?

Posted

More of Yakini in ACP000doil ACP000doin (best seen) ACP000doip ACP000doir

Posted

yes 😃

he seems to love that place!

Posted

More coverage of Yakini found by @sydself, suggested by Anja and strongly supported by me 😃: ACP000do6k

Posted

I support it too!

Posted

This looks like Yakini in ACP000dmtc and ACP000dmtf because of size, back view and almost non-existent eyebrows. Also supported by @AnLand.

Same arguments for the male in this clip: ACP000doda although the profile is barely seen I still think this looks very much like Yakini. Better seen in video.

Posted

ACP000dmtc and ACP000dmtf : our Yakini

ACP000doda : certainly looks like Yakini. Need more opinions...

Thank youuuuu 😃

Posted

There's Yakini again in front in ACP000dogk ACP000dogm ACP000dogo and ACP000dogq. In the second video we can see again his bent right ear as discussed in this Oden thread just before.

The chimp in the back carrying some "clay-to-go" looks like Bohr: massive built, only little brighter on the back, typical Bohr profile 😃

Continuing in ACP000dogs ACP000dogt and ACP000dogu with Yakini eventually walking away. Also same testies as Yakini proposed in mentioned Oden thread.

Posted

The male sitting down in the back in ACP000dqkx ACP000dqky ACP000dql0 and ACP000dql2 still needs an ID. I'm sure those are the very sturdy legs and broad back of our heavy friend Yakini. The only other male of this group with a grey back, Lonn, is slightly slimmer, his legs are not as bright and his testies are big and low see ACP000dsjc.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

I need to add that the third male of group 1 with grey back and legs, Frinton, is quite a bit smaller than Yakini and Lonn, so it can't be him either above in my last post.

I would like to suggest Yakini as the male sitting down on the left in ACP000dqkx and staying there for the rest of the minute in ACP000dqky ACP000dql0 and ACP000dql2 He's massively built with thick legs, rough hair but evenly colored greyish legs. His testies are not seen because they are high up in contrary to Lonns' which are hanging down low. Lonn's legs are also not as evenly colored grey as Yakinis. Also here it can't be Frinton because of built and color. Frinton's back is very grey but his legs are less grey and much slimmer.

Yakini in ACP000do6k (back, side and testies), ACP000dmsi for equal leg coloring, ACP000dr6p for backview, built

Compare to Lonn in ACP000dxbg for back, and ACP000dsjb for back and especially testies.

Compare to GSMale12x (now Frinton) in ACP000dqyx and ACP000drwe for built and color

Suggested Yakini (left):

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

ACP000dqkx ................................................................................ ACP000doir Yakini

This one was hard, but I am now convinced that we see Yakini´s Pandabear - bottom here 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to HeikeW's comment.

LOL @HeikeW, Panda bear bottom - yes, that fits 😄

Would you mind to check on ACP000doda as well? I's posted further up on page 5 where Nuria said: certainly looks like Yakini. Need more opinions...

Thank you!!!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I don't want to question this proposal, but be aware that Lonn has also what you call a panda bear bottom - the dark patch around the anus while having a gray back. See ACP000dsjb - I think Lonn's testicles are bigger, though, I also tend towards Yakini, but it's not entirely clear.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Yes, Anja, I know, but I think the rear of Lonn looks somehow different when compared to ACP000dsjb.

Let's wait if Antonio agrees or not and then we'll try to sort it out from there. Thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

But ACP000dsjb is Lonn, or not? He is tagged as Lonn.

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

Yes, ACP000dsjb is Lonn. I thought that those big light testicles would somehow be seen in ACP000dqkx if it was Lonn too?

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

ACP000doda yes I already agreed on him being Yakini in the Frinton - thread: He is much heavier than Frinton and no big Lonn - testicles visible. 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to HeikeW's comment.

Thanks Heike, and sorry, too many posts yesterday. I tagged him already... (shaking my head....) :[

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

sorry, Anja, bad English: I wanted to say Lonn's butt looks different when I compare Yakini's to Lonn's in ACP000dsjb (another headshake...)

Posted

• Buzharevski by Buzharevski scientist, moderator in response to HeikeW's comment.

Seems legit to me. I say yes for Yakini in ACP000dqky, ACP000dqkx, ACP000dql0, ACP000dql2. Should I tag?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Buzharevski's comment.

Sorry Antonio, I've just seen it now. I tagged Yakini in this sequence and in ACP000dqsu (next minute) when he leaves the place.

Posted