Chimp & See Talk

Strange eyes

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

The eyes of this male chimp look strange - as if he has a white sclera (like humans). We know from one of the latest postings on the Chimp&See facebook site that this is possible, but I am not sure. I tried to compare with other black-and-white footage and at least I've never seen the eyes moving visibly like this.

What do you think? Or better: can you even see what's irritating? Maybe just my imagination.

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

Mhm ... Im not sure if it is not only the light. Look at the clip before, when he is coming. Here in the last seconds he is blinking, but I cannot see a sclera. ACP000cuet

Posted

I would not expect to see the white space when directly looking into the camera or while blinking. I also think chimp eyes are generally a bit smaller than humans, so the white sclera would only be seen when looking to the side or above (so, moving the cornea (not sure whether this is the correct term)).

But, as I said, I have a question here because it looks different to what we normally see. I might be totally wrong!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

This clip is more early-morning bright than most night chimp clips so possibly the light scatter is causing the reflections off of the retina to seem different. I compared it to ACP0007hvg where the chimp blinks and the reflection increases & decreases as he turns his head. Hopefully we see this guy again for a longer view to figure out if it's a large sclera characteristic or a light effect.

Posted

I moved the discussion to the GS-16 board. White sclera or not, it is a great face and body view and maybe this guy should get a temp ID. Hopefully, we will find him again.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Thanks @AnLand,

I personally think that this is just a light effect. This guy that you refer to with sclera is looking directly into the camera, and his sclera is clearly seen:

enter image description here

But not this male:

enter image description here

but you are right, this guy needs an ID.

#GSMale06 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Super hard to tell in this video but certainly possible! Chimps in a nearby habituated group have quite a few individuals with visible sclera 😃

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

We will keep an eye on him 😄

Posted