Chimp & See Talk

Match to GSMale12b and GSMale12?

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I start for this video another discussion, because I am not entirely sure here. But I think that the first big male here is a match to GSMale12b and 12. Although the brows are not so prominent here, their form fit, the smallish balding, the really big and wide nostrils, gray back and legs, body build ...

enter image description here

GSMale12b

GSMale12

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Thanks Anja ; GSMale23 .

I was thinking of GSMale05. I´m not that good at BW videos, but I see GSMale23´s head quite light, what do you think?

GSMale12 (...) seems like a possible match too though

more opinions, please! 😃

GSMale23 = GSMale12 / b

or

GSMale23 = GSMale05 ?

GSMale05 in ACP000dw2u :

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

We already talked before about that we do see some of the chimps together in different combinations, but never with others, e.g., Hasina-Yvette and Vivie as well as Titan have never been seen together with the Cassini / Vala group or on the camera locations we do see them. So, I am pretty sure that we have more than one community here (without any discussion of the habituated group) and GSMale05 and GSMale23 cannot really be the same chimp. GSMale23 is with Flores and Cleo (already identified in this video), so he belongs to them. Which makes a match to 12 and 12b possible, but not to GSMale05.

Interestingly – unrelated to this male, but for the community discussion – there is this camera on what I call the “feeding hill” where the chimps, baboons, and others gather fruits … We did see Jamie, Layla, Eliot, probably also Akilah, Cleo and others on several different days here, but on February 21, 2013, we do see over the whole day very many chimps with partly excellent face views (e.g., GSFem20 and GSFem21 with their infants), but I do not recognize a single face.

I do not have a solution for this puzzle now, but I am pretty sure that we have more than one community here and overlapping territory use. On this hill, no situation looks really like a patrol.

I also do not see here the light head that GSMale05 has.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

hmmm...it makes sense. GSMale05 belongs to another group.

ok, let´s reject the GSMale05 option and focus on the GSMale12/b one,

what do you guys think about this equation GSMale23 = GSMale12 / b ?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Sorry I have difficulties to see either of the proposed chimps as a match to GSMale23. I think GSmale23's balding is wider and his legs are brighter than GSMale 12/12b. Also GSMale12/12bs prominent, almost straight brows should be seen better if it was him.

Colorwise and for the shape of the balding GSMale05 would make more sense but the built and the shape of his face look different to me besides the group-context. 😕

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

ok, thanks a lot Heidi for your thoughts

Posted

Nuria could you pls. check videos ACP000dra2 ACP000dra4 ACP000dra6 and ACP000dra8 ? The guy in there is either GSMail12b confirmed a bit later in the series. I'm not sure if the one before the tagged FSMale12b is also him because he enters earlier, seems to leave and then probably comes back again.

Series in spreadsheet starts with ACP000drs9 all the way down until ACP000dsab

Thanks!!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

It makes sense...I have checked the whole series :S and I agree that these are the same guy, GSMale12b confirmed in ACP000drlx :

here he comes in ACP000drs9 :

then there is a 23 min. gap and the series folows in ACP000dra6 :

... all the way down until ACP000drig .

And then after a 4 min. gap he comes in and is confirmed in ACP000drlx , GSMale12b:

Posted

Thanks Nuria! 😄 😄

Posted