Chimp & See Talk

Mekas: New lean male with gray back and pink muzzle

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I suggest that the second male in ACP000d2ko - lean, gray back, pink / light muzzle is the same male as the second male in ACP000d98a

ACP000d2ko

enter image description here

On the left: light muzzle, ACP000d98a

Body build and gray back

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

You have an eagle eye for these black & white clips, Anja. Mouth low on his muzzle, deep set eyes, very light face. He also has a bump or something light on the outer edge of his right ear which I see in both clips. I vote yes on this. Such an interesting & unusual face.

ACP000d2ko - Right ear bump.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Nice match! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I agree as well. The persuading fact was that knob on his right ear, clearly seen in both videos.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

I agree, this is a clear match to me. And I agree with Dawna too, Anja has an eagle eye when it comes to b/w clips. Thanks!!

we need a namer, Anja, do you have a suggestion?

Posted

ACP000d98k (same day as other b/w footage, 10 hours later): is the second chimp the same male?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Absolutely,

I support it, the second male running is our guy. Same grey patch, anal pattern fits perfectly.

Would you suggest any namer for him?

Thanks Anja ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

There's more footage of this lean male with grey back and bright muzzle in ACP000d8zr and ACP000d8zt and the already mentioned ACP000d98a continues in ACP000d98b and ACP000d98c.

I would also include this sequence here ACP000d2wb ACP000d2wd ACP000d2wf ACP000d2wi with the guy walking to the back. Face is best seen in ACP000d2wf.

Anja you were asked for name or namer here and again in the new thread Chimps waiting for names at GS

Pic from ACP000d8zr

Posted

OK, I already answered to the naming question, but if pressured: let's name him Mekas ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Mekas ). ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

Pleased to meet you, Mekas!

Anja, do you agree on the new additions I made above for Mekas?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I love Mekas, thank you!!!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

...not sure about ACP000d2wb ACP000d2wd ACP000d2wf ACP000d2wi = Mekas

and in ACP000d8zr and ACP000d8zt I canยดt see Mekaยดs Right ear bump ๐Ÿ˜• thoughts?

Posted

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

ACP000d2wb sequence: difficult to know for sure, but I think it's him. Slender, light face, very distinct line of grey/black along back.

ACP000d8zr and ACP000d8zt: I think it is just blurred out in the video? His back side looks the same.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

thank you Laura ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Anja, would you mind to have a look at Heidiยดs proposals for Meka? Laura agrees...I am not sure ๐Ÿ˜•

Posted

Anja and Antonio, would you please have a look at videos ACP000d8zr and ACP000d8zt?

I think this is also Mekas, Laura already agreed above. Nuria wasn't sure because the ear knob is not well seen. All other traits fit. Thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Hm, in ACP000d8zr I was first missing his prominent testicles, but I think in ACP000d8zt they are seen. What do you think? The rest would be consistent for me.

By the way, in the known chimps list go the links of Mekas videos to Ingo. The video ID is correct, but the link goes to the wrong videos.

Posted

• vittoriaestienne by vittoriaestienne scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Hello everybody!

I totally agree with "in ACP000d8zr I was first missing his prominent testicles, but I think in ACP000d8zt they are seen", so I would feel confident in adding these videos (ACP000d8zr, ACP000d8zt) to the Mekas in videos ACP000d98a, ACP000d98b , ACP000d98c and ACP000d2ko.

I find the male in the videos ACP000d2wb , ACP000d2wd, ACP000d2wf, and ACP000d2wi too difficult to match with Mekas. Although the back looks the same, the individual is rather far away and the video blurry so I am not so sure ... However, does anybody else think that the female without offspring, the one shy on the right, could be Akilah?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to vittoriaestienne's comment.

Thanks Vittoria, Mekas is tagged in ACP000d8zr and ACP000d8zt.

I think we can definitely drop the male in the other sequence - I agree, he's really too far away. As for the Akilah proposal: that's most unlikely because Gaia (the female with infant) belongs to group 2 and Akilah to group 1. I know it's hard for someone just coming to the party to distinguish the guests ๐Ÿ˜‰

Here's the link to the GS group composition made by Nuria. There were some additions in the meantime. I just put them on page two of that same thread.

Hope it helps - I could actually have done that before but I just found the list again (sorry Antonio and volunteers) ๐Ÿ˜›

Posted

• vittoriaestienne by vittoriaestienne scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

thanks for the link to group composition! I'll check that next time ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

But, what about the young female without an infant in ACP000d2wb , ACP000d2wd, ACP000d2wf, and ACP000d2wi as a match to GSFem08 in ACP000cuvy and ACP000cuw2? - Vittoria suggested for both of them Akilah (that doesn't work), so there seems to be a similarity ...

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

That's a tough one and I'm not really sure if they would match. I just don't see enough of her to be sure to match her to any of the known chimps. We don't even know whether GSFem08 belongs to group 2. She might also be one of the young females who accompanied Gaia in the series starting with ACP000dz3m.

Posted