Chimp & See Talk

would like to learn from this one :)

• tina_pixie_ by tina_pixie_

Hi all,

I find this one an interesting video to learn.
    I thought it was two females, and was trying to check (even with the magnifier) to see whether one was male, but did not succeed. How did others distinguish sex for these two?

The third one has quite pink face from afar, but seems big. Would it be an older juvenile or....?

And the voicing that sounds like "two" - what is that?

Thanks,

tina_pixie

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

@tina_pixie_ , this is certainly interesting,

the first chimp running, the one being charged, is a male, and the charging one is a female:

left, we think it´s Eliot, see testicles. Right, probably Petra, see swelling

enter image description here

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

The third one is Siena, an adult female. Siena´s face is pinkish, which gives her a "young look". See Siena with her infant in ACP000dl58 :

enter image description here

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to tina_pixie_'s comment.

I don´t understand what you mean with "two". Do you refer to the female´s vocalization?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I think it's Siena's vocalization at the very end of the video that tina_pixie_ is referring to.
    It certainly sounds like "two... two..." 😃

And those are definitely Eliot and Petra. I wonder what he did to make her so angry. 2 minutes earlier there's full harmony between the two, see ACP000dtdk

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

that´s a love-hate relationship 😃

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist

Hi all, that 'two' vocalization is a commonly heard call type called a 'hoo'. It is produced in many contexts, one being as observed here, when a chimpanzee is a bystander/observing others in a fight/argument. I like to think of it as bystander chimps using a 'protest hoo' to voice their discontent with the situation, or alternatively support for one of the individuals, just by making this vocalization and without actually getting involved.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to akalan's comment.

Siena taking sides 😃

thanks @akalan !

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to akalan's comment.

Very interesting, thanks @akalan! The more I learn about the chimps the more I see how much we have in common 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I kind of disagree. I don't think that there is any charging of Eliot by Petra. Petra is already screaming before (without even looking in Eliot's direction). He runs because she is running, but it looks to me as if she is afraid of something as well - there is some issue before and he is alarmed as well. Also Siena is looking at the tree before she is hoo'ing. Isn't this also an alarm for a snake sighting (the hoo)? We know how much a drama queen Petra is.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

I forgot about ACP000drlt Petra the drama queen - lol, Anja! We do have several examples of her vocalizing in many different ways in many different situations. What a personality 😄

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to akalan's comment.

Thanks for clarifying, @akalan I would "hoo" too at all this commotion without getting involved 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to tina_pixie_'s comment.

Thanks for getting this discussion going @tina_pixie_ There is a lot of interest going on in this clip that you found!

Posted

Thanks a lot!

I thought of testicles to be swelling actually. He did look like a male to me, but was not sure. I did not notice the other swelling, of the female running. I think it certainly taught me how to pay attention to details.

It is very interesting to learn about the vocalization as well. I would agree with Boleyn on the fascinating fact of how much we have in common. It is a perspective changing experience.

I guess it would be interesting to see videos prior to the event and after the event to get greater insight of the whole situation.

Posted

Oh, I can even see Siena's lips moving during "hoo" now 😃

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to tina_pixie_'s comment.

😃

@tina_pixie , please always feel free to post any video you would like to discuss about; as you have seen, we are always happy to take part of interesting discussions from which we can learn.

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist in response to AnLand's comment.

Yes Anland, hoo's are a commonly produced call type in chimpanzees and are therefore produced in many contexts. It is only with a lot of practice and observations that you can start to differentiate between them. This is definitely not a snake sighting or any other alarm context because that kind of screaming and chasing is socially induced. Here's a nice write up of alert hoos with a video from a recent paper from our colleagues at the MPI EVA: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/15/science/chimpanzees-communication-language.html

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to akalan's comment.

Thanks @akalan, i was not aware that screaming most often - especially this long screamings - is socially caused. Thanks also for the video link. Roman Wittig showed these once and that's why I know from the hoo's. But you're right they would probaly be quieter here with a snake or any other danger. I am still unsure what kind of social situation this is, though.

Posted