Chimp & See Talk

We're out of data - for now!

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi everybody!

We're out of data - for now! Panthoots and thanks to everyone who helped us finishing classifications on the most recent Green Snowflake site. Chimp matching is still ongoing for Green Snowflake and several other old sites like the memorable Restless Star site. The science team and the moderators will use the hiatus to clean up all finished Chimp&See sites. If you want to get involved shoot us a message.

A new site and many more along the way will start on a shiny new interface in early 2019.

If you want to get involved in the ongoing chimp matching or help us tag the classified monkey videos to the species level for our ongoing "Monkey See" project please visit our discussion pages here on Talk. The mini-projects Animal Selfies and Leopard Identification will run in the background until the switch, too.

If you want to discuss something or have questions, the discussion boards are regularly checked and you will get a response!

Thank you so much and stay tuned for the next site on the new interface!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Anja mentioned the "monkey see" project above. I would like to elaborate a bit on that one:

We know that some of our volunteers don't feel very confident in chimp matching but those who have been tagging other primates have done a terrific job 😃

So if you like to contribute to the "monkey see" project, go to the list of "identified chimps". The first part contains all the other primates of each site we've been exploring so far.

Now if you'd like to help with tagging primates of Green Snowflake (or any other site), just click on the site name. You'll be seeing a list with tons of videos! Those with no tags yet show up with no entries in the tag column. Click these clips and tag them with the correct species! Your help is very much appreciated!

More information on this project you'll find in the thread How to Identify Monkeys

Thanks and have fun with our furry friends!

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Thanks for that @Anja and @Boleyn - I was already beginning to get withdrawal symptons! I still don't feel vey confident about chimp ID - I do keep looking but end up giving up - so this looks like a good way of staying involved until the new site is up and running. Cheers!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Batfan's comment.

Thank YOU, Jane! I somehow hoped you would jump on that 😮

If there are more volunteers for this task please leave a short message here so we can split it. Reason for this is because the list does not update daily so if anyone else starts at the top, they will find videos with no tags in the list but tagged by @Batfan in the meantime. So a second person could start at the end and if there are more interested.... well, we'll find a solution!

Thanks a bunch you awesome people out there!!

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

@Boleyn. Hope it's alright but I've started at the top of the Greensnowflake 'other primate' list - as this is the site we've done most recently, I'm more familiar with the species here so it just seemed like the least daunting thing to make a start with. If you'd prefer it if we started right at the very beginning, or with another site, just say - I'm sure I'll cope! 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Batfan's comment.

It's perfect like this, Jane, thanks a lot, you rock girl!

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

I'm really enjoying this 😃 . Feels like cheating - getting to all the good bits quickly, without having to wade through the classifications first! One quick question: Do you still want us to tag behavioural things such as aggression, wood-eating and carrying young, or are you only bothered about the species and location tags at this stage?

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

The more information always the better! Glad you are enjoying it and thank you so very very much!!!

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Thanks @MimiA. Will carry on tagging them then.

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

Sorry, I started tagging without leaving a message. When I found your tags, Batfan, I just scrolled down a little bit, so you will find my tags when you continue. Sorry for that.
    I really enjoy working on this project, gess I can´t stop. And as I joined in Chimp & See with GreenSnowflake, it came naturally to me to start with it.
    Would you just say where I should start or give me another site and I will start working.
    I would also love to help with the chimp IDs in GreenSnowflake but you all know that I´m not an expert. 😃 If you want me to do so, I will keep trying.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to HeikeW's comment.

Hi @HeikeW and @Batfan - there are very many Green Snowflake monkey videos, so you could just scroll down more or for instance start at the end and move backwards. You could also choose the Restless Star or Cold Fire sites who have similar monkey species to Green Snowflake. You would discover that both don't have grey-cheeked mangabeys and red colobus, but you could watch blue monkeys (nice footage on Cold Fire, rarely seen at Restless Star, though).

I don't know whether you recognized that your tags will be applied to the list every day during synchronization. This happens usually in the early evening European time. After this, on every day, you see which videos are tagged and where tags are still missing.

If you think that we need to coordinate this better, please let me know and we figure something out.

Thank you both - and all other helpers - so much for helping with the monkey tags! That's so awesome.

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Hi @Anland. and @HeikeW. So far, at least, I think this seems to be working fine as it is. So long as we keep working through them in blocks, it's easy enough to leapfrog over each other if we come to a block that someone else has done. If a lot of other people start joining in, it might need a little more structure but, for now, I don't think there's a problem - especially if, as you say Anja, they're updated every day. i never found your tags HeikeW - the page had already been updated, so no problem at all.

It's really interesting doing this - I've found that as I've been working through a block of the same species, without being interrupted by lots of others, I've developed a much stronger feeling for that species. I have to confess that I'm developing a particular fondness for those Red Colobus - their gymnastic abilities just leave me in awe and some of their parenting skills have me laughing out loud. I'm loving it 😃

Posted

This is so wonderful to read guys! thank you!!!

Posted

• Corcaroli by Corcaroli in response to Boleyn's comment.

Hello Heidi,

I would like to give muddy frost 7 a try if that is ok with you. If not, then give me some other suggestions.

Regards, Dick

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Corcaroli's comment.

This is great Dick! Thank you so much. (Heidi will be back shortly, but I just thought I answer briefly for her.) Best, Anja.

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

Hi all, despite there seems to be no problem with more people working on one site, i will go for the blue monkeys at Cold Fire. I saw them in the Species Cheat Sheet of GreenSnowflake but never found one. This gives me a new chance and on top I leave the Red Colobus for you, Batfan

Posted

This is great! Thank you!

Posted

Thank you @HeikeW !

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Hi folks - just discovered that there's lots we can still be doing to help! Not sure how to go about this though, and what is required. I see the list of areas and species that we can click on but what happens then? Sorry - I'm being a bit dense here, I think... 😃

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Hi @Puddock.

I’ll let one of the mods give you an official response – there may be more that they want to say than I can tell you (and I don’t want to stick my nose in where not wanted) – but I thought that I’d just tell you what I know, in case nobody sees your comment for a while.

After going to the list at https://www.chimpandsee.org/identified-chimps/, just click on a site from the ‘other primate’ list and look down the tags column until you find one without any tags. Click on the link to open up that video and then tag in the normal manner. I don’t think that there’s any particular rule which set you go for but, to avoid overlapping with each other, we’re just saying on here what we’re doing. So far, I think, I’m doing the Green Snowflake ones, @Corcorolli is doing Muddy Frost and @HeikeW is doing Cold Fire (and there may be others that I’m not aware of). You could perhaps choose a different site, or else work backwards from the end of one of the sites that’s already being done. Tags are refreshed every day, so don’t show up immediately when you’ve done one.

Obviously, there are other options , such as chimp matching but I’ll leave it to the Mods to tell you about those.

Hope this helps, and apologies to the Mods if I’m speaking out of turn.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Batfan's comment.

This is the perfect answer, thanks @Batfan!

(I can only add that I work on the Red Water monkeys.)

Posted

• puddock by puddock

That is a perfect explanation @Batfan - thanks! I would love to see more of David and Caruso but I'll have a little look and post here. It's so exciting! 😃

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Not sure if anyone else is doing this but, as my favourite chimps are David and Caruso, I thought I'd volunteer for Aged Violet and Restless Star chimps, in the hope of seeing my favourite chaps again 😃

Posted

Thank you so much @puddock for joining in! and thank you too to @batfan with the "how to do" monkeysee 😃

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

I just finished ColdFire. There were not many gaps left, but I found many non-monkeys in the list. I tagged what I could identify but in some cases I couldn´t make out what it was. So what should we do, when we find a non-monkey? Tag it, or just leave it like it is? And are there any SpeciesCheatSheets for the other regions? I was so fascinated by a huge rat-tailed duiker-aarthvaark and would love to know what it was.

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

If it´s ok I start working on the Restless Star other primates. 😃

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

One more question: When we hack the URL and find a monkey - video which is not in the list, shall we tagg that one too?

Posted

• puddock by puddock

I think I must be being really thick here. I've looked at some of the sites on the list but everything seems to be tagged - am I missing something? Also, is it just the non-chimps you want us to work on? I was hoping to look at chimps, but of course I'm happy to help with whatever needs doing!

Posted

Hi @HeikeW: Thank you so much! I will check Cold Fire in the next days to see whether there are any open questions. Starting Restless Star is a very good idea. Thank you.

For your last question: as these sites we're talking about are all finished, URL hacking is allowed on these sites* and yes, you can tag any monkeys you find there if you have the time. It definitely helps with the data - even more for videos that did not make it into the primates list for whatever reason.

*please don't hack into Aged Violet as we have other plans here and don't hack any sites that haven't been open

Thanks again!

Best, Anja.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to puddock's comment.

Hi @puddock,

please be aware that we are talking about the monkey videos that we are trying to finish, i.e., tagging the monkeys to the species level. The chimp videos - except for Green Snowflake that is currently "in progress" - have been checked and tagged. Here for other sites, only IDs are partly missing. Your favorite site Restless Star will make a re-appearance very soon for the last chimp matching discussions. Please get in there, maybe you find David again.

Aged Violet is finished I think. So you can only go back to Caruso's videos to enjoy them. Which is totally worth the time! 😃

Cheers, Anja.

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Hi,
    Green Snowflake is now done, so I'll make a start on another site. Have slightly lost track of who's doing what but I don't think anyone's doing Lingering Shape, so I'll begin there if that's OK? If anyone has already got their name down for that, or if there's another site you'd prefer to get done first, just let me know.

Posted

Thanks @batfan!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to HeikeW's comment.

Hi - in addition to @AnLand's comments . If you find a video in the monkey list that is blank, you can tag this with #blank. Anja had this idea and I think it's a great one

For the chimps, we're happy if you keep looking at the chimp threads with a * at any of the sites - these chimps still need opinions for acceptance or rejection of matches 😃

For other sites that don't have species cheat sheets, please feel very free to start a discussion about new and interesting videos you find! I'd love to see the animal you found 😃

Thank you all so much!

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Thanks Anja - I understand much better now!

Posted

Hi friends, I'm back from my hols and very impressed with your enthousiasm and your awesome work. Thank you all so very much!

@Batfan I fully understand your losing track of who has done or is doing what in the monkeysee project. Thus Anja posted a status about the progress in our moderator group and I think she doesn't mind if I share this with you too. The status is from November 11th:

Green Snowflake: done, @Batfan (Jane)

Cold Fire: done, @HeikeW

Restless Star: started, @HeikeW

Muddy Frost: in progress, @Corcaroli (Dick)

Red Water: in progress, @AnLand

Crimson Dew: started, @midnightsun

Lingering Shape: started, @Batfan

Dry Lake: done @AnLand, @jwidness a while ago

Just keep on telling us here what you're on and we will update the list. THANKS!!

Posted

To update once more: Crimson Dew is done and @midnightsun moved over to Dawn Bird. 😃

Posted

you guys are amazing! thank you!!!

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

RestlessStar is almost done, I´m only waiting for an answer to three need ids. If its ok I would try QuietWood?

Posted

Great! I provided my opinion for the unclear videos and asked the science team additionally about this and another potential chimp video. Let's see what they say. Quiet Wood is a good idea - the mangabeys there are agile mangabeys and you can expect olive baboons. This is still region D like Restless Star and Cold Fire, but more Western. If you have any questions or encounter new species, we will figure it out together!

Posted

This is the new status of monkey see, in order of appearance in the list:

Quiet Wood: started, @HeikeW

Shy Waterfall: done, @Boleyn

Cool Silence:

Muddy Frost: in progress, @Corcaroli (Dick)

Crimson Dew: done, @midnightsun

Lingering Shape: in progress, @Batfan

Dawn Bird: startet, @midnightsun

Restless Star: done, @HeikeW

Aged Violet:

Happy monkey hunting! 😃

Posted

Thanks for the update everyone!

Anja, I got your email but I am not sure what your question is, if you find chimp videos you can tag them as #chimp (as has been done) and try to identify them if you can/want as per normal. The two examples you sent (https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP000bybj and https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0005qa2) won't be getting temp chimp IDs as they are unidentifiable. So chimp tags are all they get. If it actually happens that new chimps are found and identifiable we will deal with them on a case by case basis just let the science team know here on Talk 😃

cheers,
    mimi

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

All good!

Posted

Hi everybody! I hope you still enjoy our little side-project!

This is the new status of "MonkeySee", in order of appearance in the list:

Quiet Wood: in progress, @HeikeW

Cool Silence: started, @Corcaroli

Muddy Frost: done, @Corcaroli

Lingering Shape: in progress, @Batfan

Aged Violet: done, @Corcaroli

Thanks everyone!

Posted

Here's an update on what I'm doing. I've finished Muddy Frost 7 and Aged Violet and I am currently working on Cool Science 5, which has hardly any tags.

Dick

Posted

Heidi, I have finished Muddy Frost and Aged Violet. I started Cool Silence a few days ago.

Dick

Posted

• puddock by puddock

So sorry everyone - I had hoped to contribute to this project but RL intervened...I see the job is almost done - congratulations and Merry Christmas/Happy Solstice to all!

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

From me too, Merry Christmas to all. I have finished Quiet Wood. There is only one more needID open and I think the video - quarters we found by hacking the URL don't appear automaticly in the list? Have a nice holiday, HeikeW

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

And from me !! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.
    Have now finished Lingering Shape and would be very happy to help finish Red Water, Dawn Bird or Cool Silence if you would like me to @Anland,@Corcaroli or @Midnightsun. I could start from the bottom and work upwards, to avoid clashing, but, if you're enjoying yourselves, I don't want to spoil your fun - just let me know if you would like me to do so.
    Otherwise, see you all on the new project. Looking forward to it!

Posted

• Corcaroli by Corcaroli in response to Batfan's comment.

@Batfan Jane, if you would like to do some more you are more than welcome to work Cool Silence with me. It is almost like the first one I did, Muddy Frost, which had practically no comments. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I just saw your note.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Corcaroli's comment.

Merry Christmas to all! @Corcaroli I am going backwards in Cool Silence. Just stopped at ACP0002pw3 and will pick up there tomorrow.

Posted

• Corcaroli by Corcaroli in response to Snorticus's comment.

Happy holidays to all! @Snorticus ok partner, I stopped at ACP00028dx this morning, and we'll no doubt soon meet in between! 😃

Posted

Yay friends, you are awesome! Almost everything done by now. 😃
    Sorry I missed your Christmas wishes. 😦 I hope you all had a splendid time!

So here's the new status of MonkeySee:

Quiet Wood: done, @HeikeW

Cool Silence: in progess, @Corcaroli from top @Snorticus from bottom

Red Water: in progress, @AnLand now @Batfan

Muddy Frost: done, @Corcaroli

Lingering Shape: done, @Batfan

Aged Violet: done, @Corcaroli

Jane, I think Anja won't be sad, when you'll start at RedWater just where she left it. She's away for some days and has a lot of other stuff to do as well.

I'm not sure if @midnightsun is going to finish off DawnBird? Come to think of it, I don't even know who's hiding behind that avatar. @midnightsun could you please give us a hint? 😉 Thanks!!

Remember Waldemar, Jaman or La_Presidente from RestlessStar? Eager to meet them again?
    Nuria is posting the proposals for Restlessstar right now. There are still a lot of chimps unidentified. So if you have some time left, just head on over and give it a try. Thank you so much! 😃

Your meeting with the old friends starts right here!

I wish you all a great end of the year!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to HeikeW's comment.

Heike, thanks for pointing this out! I agree to your suggestion and just tagged the clip with agile mangabey 😃

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan in response to Corcaroli's comment.

Many thanks for the offer Dick @Corcoroli. In light of what Heidi suggests, and the fact that @Snorticus is now also working on Cool Silence, it's probably better if I move over to RedWater instead. Hope you all had a good one!

Posted

• midnightsun by midnightsun in response to Boleyn's comment.

I am confused. Everyone in the videos / discussions Nuria posted is already identified. What should we do with this? It looks like finished discussions from the scientists and the moderators. What input is still necessary and by whom?

To your question: yes, I will work on Dawn Bird, of course. But I will only back home after the holidays in early January.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to midnightsun's comment.

Thanks for your question, @midnightsun!

As the titles say those are all proposals not actually settled matches. The proposals are from the reviews we mods do for every site. When we see unidentified chimps we think we recognize we propose them as a match. These inputs have now been put together by Nuria in small groups and brought up for discussion. You remember ColdFire we finished recently? There all proposals have been posted in single posts, but that's a lot of work and so she did it this way.

So this is actually like with the matching discussions: one volunteer or mod proposes a match and others chime in and agree or disagree. For every match we need 3 people to agree.

You can take part in these discussions e.g. by by copy/paste the text of the initial list (or only part of it) in an answer post and just agree or disagree on a proposal or in any way you like. We appreciate all the help we can get now to finish up the old sites. To get you started, here's the link to the known and prospective chimps from Restless-Star.

Any more questions? I'm glad to help!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to midnightsun's comment.

sorry @midnightsun for not explaining it properly!

yes, like Heidi says, these are match proposals that need and agreement. If it is confusing, I could separate them in single groups. The idea was just to save a bit of time, but I can do it if you find it more useful.

I will post an explanation on the RS board anyway.

Sorry again!

and thanks Heidi for sending a helping hand 😃

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

Hi everybody, I Hope you all had a nice holiday. I am back from family activities and I´m urgently searching for work. Is there a list still open where I can start from the bottom ore something else that kind?

Posted

Hi @HeikeW, we love people asking for more work! 😉

I think for Dawn Bird would it be good if someone could start from the other end. @midnightsun started here already, but I think she is not progressed very far and probably would not mind some help.

Dawn Bird is a West African site, so you would expect there the same species as in Red Water, Cool Silence etc. so, lots of sooty mangabeys.

We will also post some more Green Snowflake chimp discussions on Talk during the weekend, so you can check out them, too.

Thank you (and everyone else) so much. We appreciate this a lot!

Posted

Thank you everyone so much for your continued work here! 😃

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

Thanks AnLand, I will start work immediately. Midnightsun I´m looking forward to meeting you somewhere in the middle of DawnBird. 😃

Posted

• Corcaroli by Corcaroli

Cool Silence is completed. I will make a final edit tomorrow. I am available if there are any sites that still need work. Thanks to Snorticus for the assist.

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan in response to Corcaroli's comment.

Hi @Corcoroli. There's not a huge amount of RedWater left, but if you're at a loose end and feel like working up from the bottom until we meet in the middle, that would be great. If you felt like it, you could also check out those I've tagged as #monkey and see if you've any idea about species. Don't feel any pressure to do so - as I said, there's not a great amount left so I'm very happy to plough on on my own if you want a break.

Posted

Great teamwork, thanks!!

Posted

wow!!! amazing everyone!1

Posted

• Corcaroli by Corcaroli in response to Batfan's comment.

I'm going to do a quick edit of Cool Silence to insure that yesterdays stuff is there, then I'll start at the bottom of Redwater and move up.

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

See you in the middle 😃 @ Corcoroli

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

DawnBird is almost done. I reviewed the whole list tonight and started three last Help - discussions for the remaining open "need IDs". @midnightsun, I hope this is according to your wishes. 😃

Posted

Thank you so much!

I still try to get feedback from the science team about what else would be important here. In any case, chimp matching is still wide open for Green Snowflake and older sites. And I've seen @midnightsun helped there today, which is also great. Both of these issues are super helpful.

Thanks again and I will get back to everybody when I heard something.

Posted

Mimi wants to say thank you with a little C&S gift to all volunteers who participated so diligently in the monkey-see project and helped to finish this off in such a short time How cool is that? 😃

Of course we need your names and addresses in order to ship the little surprise to you. So @Batfan, @HeikeW, @Corcaroli, @Snorticus, @midnightsun and @AnLand would you please send me your data in a private message?

Thanks you awesome bunch!

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

@Corcoroli and I have now finished RedWater (pending a final audit tomorrow by @Corcoroli). Am I right in thinking that all other sites are finished or in hand?

Posted

Hi all!

Yes, all sites are taken care of. Left are only the reviews by @Corcaroli and @HeikeW for Red Water and Dawn Bird, respectively.

I got feedback from then science team. Chimp matching (all old sites) has absolute priority. If there is any interest, we could also move forward with the leopard matching. I am open to that, just let me know if you would rather do this or wait a few weeks until beta testing of the new interface starts and we need every critical eye for the new worflows.

Thanks again, Anja.

Posted

• Corcaroli by Corcaroli

I just finished the edit of Red Water.

Posted

• HeikeW by HeikeW

Dawn Bird review is also done.

I had a close look at leopard matching and got a bit puzzled with all the moving patterns of dots and rosettes. I then had the idea of making collages in the style of an image - riddle for a better overview. I didn´t start yet, but will come back to that if it is wished.

For the moment, learning chimp - matching with the Green Snowflake chimps seems to have priority, so I think this is what I´ll try now.

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

I'll have a look at the leopards too and, if I can't manage it, like @HeikeW will have another attempt at learning chimp matching. First, though, unless you have any objections, I'll have another look through the Green Snowflake monkeys and make sure there's nothing I've missed.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Just read this on chimp & see blogspot and love it:

"This new workflow that aims to identify all primates to the species level already during classification, leaving room for tagging exemplary videos and interesting behaviors and thus saving time" This is a great add to classification!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to HeikeW's comment.

Thanks @HeikeW and @Batfan we would love to have you on chimp matching

@Snorticus - we hope the new "monkeysee" workflow will help too! thanks 😃

Posted