Chimp & See Talk

cute scenes from Washington DC zoo

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Some red-tailed monkeys at the National Zoo in Washington DC, checking out a bit of our nearly 3ft of snow this weekend.

red-tailed

And, a bit more off-topic, but if you haven't seen this gem floating around Twitter yet, check out the panda Tian Tian. It will make your day. https://t.co/GrhI9t1u7j

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

That's the fourth time I've been linked to Tian Tian in the snow -- and it's so good that I watch him again every time! I said to my brother (also a Washingtonian) that the video may be the best thing to come from the DC blizzard. πŸ˜ƒ

Hope you're staying safe! We got about the same amount of snow in one storm a few years ago and it was nearly a week before we could get the car out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good melting temperatures!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Agreed, this video made the snow worth it. My dog loves it almost as much.

Melting would help, since we're running out of room on my street to put the stuff, but I'd rather have snow than ice from refreezing. Either way, we've had worse, so no complaints. Dry Lake is looking like another planet right now, though. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

The Toronto Zoo's male panda, Da Mao, is giving Tian Tian a run for his money. : )

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Ahh, so roly-poly and cute!! πŸ˜„

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I will be a party killer here .... but i think its important to think about: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130827-giant-panda-national-zoo-baby-breeding-animals-science/

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

Very true, it's a lot of money for a small return. And I've heard the argument before against trying to save them at all, which, frankly, sucks to think about. I agree that the money would go very far if used in other ways, including to save wild pandas, which is infinitely more desirable to pandas in a zoo. On the other hand, zoos (and the mainstream and social media coverage of them) are important to even get them on people's (especially young people's) radar nowadays. It's an interesting, unfortunate cycle we've created.

Playing along with this, though... Pandas aren't the problem, it's our values. If we stopped captive breeding of pandas, what would zoos & other panda supporters do with that money instead? Would China still get money to save the habitat? Would another single species end up becoming the new darling?

Plus, just speaking as a non-scientific wildlife lover... if, after all this, we still fail the pandas, I worry it would be such an emotional blow that it might make people lose faith in conservation programs altogether. 😦

Posted

I completely agree here -- one of my favorite science youtube channels (MinuteEarth) did a nice video about just this topic last year called "Should we let pandas go extinct?"

While saving pandas has pros and cons, the thing that makes me super angry is white lions/tigers and other animals with rare alleles. The Association of Zoos and Aquariums put out a statement on it 5 years ago, but still big name zoos (like the Toronto Zoo) are (in)breeding for these rare mutations. πŸ˜• When I see the press saying how great it is for them to be breeding these "endangered" animals, I lose it.

Posted

I'm glad you guys have already thought about it πŸ˜ƒ

I agree with you both, its a tough complicated issue but i have to say that now whenever i see these videos all i can think about are all these issues

I also would say, captive breeding of pandas isnt the worst thing in the world but there isnt a need to parade them around to zoos outside of china to accomplish the goal of breeding them. plus with social media, we could have these wondrful adorable videos straight from those sanctuaries so we wouldnt miss out on the adorableness πŸ˜‰ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fXBRKWmICU

Jane, i didnt know that about the Toronto Zoo (my hometown zoo) - very dissapointing.

Kristeena - maybe people need to lose a bit of faith in conservation, because zoos and conservation need a shake up! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

This seemed appropriate ; )

Posted

πŸ˜„ !!!!

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

HA! I know those two red-tailed guenons! Ok, I don't know them by sight yet. I have a terrible time telling the females apart. One is Indi and one is Chi Chi. The big male is Tiko. They are quite adorable though Chi Chi tends to pick on Kinah who is one of the swamp monkeys in that exhibit. Don't ask me which one is which in the picture.

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

@ksigler - The swamp monkeys in that exhibit had a baby. I haven't seen him/her in the flesh yet but the photo is adorable!

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/publications/pressmaterials/pressreleases/press-release.cfm?id=2758

Edit to fix the fact that I don't grammar good sometimes. πŸ˜‰

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to vestigial's comment.

I heard about that, but hadn't seen the photo -- thanks! Soooo adorable!

swamp monkey

Allen’s Swamp Monkey born at the Smithsonian's National Zoo

Posted