Chimp & See Talk

New layout?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

My talk page looks a lot more minimal today, new layout? I like the less cluttered look but I think I may have to give up on trying to collect all four chimp clips in order by location now that only the three most recent people to collect a clip are displayed. I can't tell if I've already collected it. 😕

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

I am afraid it is nothing intentional... Are you able to better specify the the problem please? It would deserve opening a GitHub issue.

@Snorticus could you try another browser/incognito mode first and check whether something has changed?

Let us know please.

Thanks!!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

(I'm on a tablet falling asleep so I can't test it by myself at this moment. Sorry)

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

It is like this since this morning. I am not sure whether it's intentional, but wanted to wait at least a day as the site has had loading problems the whole day. And just for the record: I do not like the new layout if true. Without the black borders, the videos are really hard to see.

@Snorticus: For the collection - it should not be a problem. The videos are in my opinion not collected twice in a collection. When you hit the button and you already have that video, it will not get collected again. (I never tried this systematically, but know that this has been the case several times in my collections.)

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

This is another case of the mixed content preventing elements from being loaded, like we had on the chimp list last week. If you tell your browser to load unsafe scripts, the black borders and collections paging return.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

@yshish I'm using Chrome and just tried incognito mode but the page layout looks the same. It also has looked the same way on my iPad all day.

@AnLand My problem is the time lost to relocating all 4 segments and saving them if I can't see under an image's Collections list that I've already located and saved them to my collections.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

Yes, right. I tried it and it's caused by the mixed content problem. They are probably working on it and I will wait just a bit longer before reporting. Thanks, @ksigler!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Still having the same display problems that started Monday morning, any news on this?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

It is reported. Sorry, I forgot, but @ksigler did.

Posted

This has been fixed now. Please let us know if you see anything else.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Back to normal. Thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

I think, tagging correctly is more helpful than just collecting as collections are private and will not show up in the official collections. To support other volunteers in their matching efforts, the tag groups are - in my opinion - more important than private collections. So, it's always worth it, I think.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Collections are accessable to any user to browse through so I'm not sure what you mean by "private". I feel it's helpful to browse 4 clip sequences from a location for ID rather than isolated random pieces. I also tag whenever I classify. Of course since we are all volunteering our time here it's up to the individual to decide how they each wish to contribute.

Posted

So, I've actually put a lot of thought into collections lately, and I think that the personal collections are extremely useful. They just serve different purposes than tagging for the keyword collections.

@Snorticus, your chimp collections are great, for the reason you said -- you pull the full chimp sequences together in one easy-to-use place for each site as soon as they are discovered, and OMG, thank you! 😃 We don't have another way to do it quite like that. @AnLand, I think I see your point that clips in personal collections don't automatically translate to the official tag/keyword collections. So that's why tagging is still helpful, to help compile clips into those collections, which are easily accessed by anyone. Plus, tags go into the behind-the-scenes database for the science team.

Every user also has a default Favorites collection, so even users that don't leave the classification screen (the majority) can still highlight clips for any reason they choose. I regularly go through these and view the clips people have favorited (so I hope people realize they aren't private!), and have made some cool discoveries second-hand (like the tail/cobra, or the elephant excitement) that would have been missed because they weren't tagged, but someone liked them enough to add them to their personal Favorites collection. It's true they are harder to get to, and if a user's account goes, they go with it. But I think personal collections have an important role, complementary to the tagging. Especially because not everyone tags every clip (which is fine). In some older sites, if they hadn't been collected first, they might not have gotten tagged!

It's also just fun to collect clips that one personally likes! 😃 If I couldn't save my favorite clips to look back over once in a while, I probably wouldn't have stayed so engaged with the project early on. That personal value was translated to the project overall because it kept me here. So, I hope people feel encouraged to build collections, as well as classify, add tags, help match chimps or gorillas, or even just ask/answer questions. Lots of ways to contribute here!!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thanks everyone for your input - tagging for sure is what the science team needs but as you mentioned the collections have been vital in keeping things moving too (thank you @snorticus for your great collections that help with chimp matching!) thank you all for the great community we have built here 😃

Posted