Chimp & See Talk

Tau - Matching proposal for paired camera leopard at QuietWood :)

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Awesome work @AnLand, you just enabled my first leopard match, thanks a lot! 😄

I'm sure the one from ACP0000alu on the left and the one from ACP0000c6d on the right are the same individual.
    The similarities on the left legs, especially the upper hindleg are striking.

enter image description here

Unfortunately the front view is not very good. None at ACP0000bkr and only this one for ACP0000b6j

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Thanks a lot, @Boleyn! So, let's discuss this first matching proposal.

I am not sure about the sex. Although ACP0000alu might have some testicles, I will assign the "unclear" status for now.

I will add the individual from ACP0000alu / ACP0000bkr as LeoUnclearQW01 and the one from ACP0000c6d / ACP0000b6j as LeoUnclearQW01b.

Posted

hmm...if there really ARE testicles then it's a very young male I guess? Otherwise I'd say built and size would suggest female. But then it's hard to tell the size at all with no reference to it.

I think this is the same leo again in ACP0000338. At the end when s/he turns we can see the same pattern on the left legs as above.

And we also have the right back-side now:

In the next video ACP0000339 we can see some more but I'm still not sure whether these are testicles or not?

Posted

Without looking into whether we really have a match here, but in the new video ACP0000338, I would really say that there are testicles. They don't need to be so big as in my examples in the guide. I have chosen these pictures as they are really obvious. You wouldn't see in a female a lighter patch at all. There is just nothing for a female than fur. ACP0000339 is quite clear, too.

Posted

I am going to add these new videos ACP0000338 and ACP0000339 as LeoMaleQW01. You can discuss if you think he is not male. For the moment, that's at least my opinion.

This screenshot from ACP0000339 - showing the right body side - shows also that it is indeed a quite robust (neck and core body) individual.

I also agree with the match of all three video sequences and propose that we wait for some other opinions about the match and the maleness for a few days and name him in the new year.

Posted

No objection and quite obvious in the zoomed pic 😃 I thought too I could see some testies but then I wasn't sure about the size. I remember some big ones from other Zooniverse projects thus I thought it might be a younger male or none at all. He seems to be slim though when we look at his front picture!

I think it might be useful when we have some front views as well. Although they are not very good I think they are at least a start. LEOUnclearQW01 and LeoMaleQW01 I'm confident 😃) from ACP0000b6j

Posted

Thanks @Boleyn for the additional pictures. I will add them later. For now, I think we can move forward and name our first matched leopard (and keep the one from AgedViolet for later naming). So, how should we call him @Boleyn? Here the master list of names as a reminder.

Posted

O cool, thanks a lot @AnLand, what an honour! 😃 I really love leopards!

How about "Tau"? It means leopard in Setswana the official language in Botswana. As a thank you I'd like to share with you our lovely young leopard we met in the Lebala reserve:

Posted

Wonderful name! Thanks also for the great leopard picture, really nice shot!

Posted

I suggest another video ACP0000417 as a match to Tau. We do not need to discuss maleness, I think. 😃 The perspective on his left hindlimb is not as perfect, but comparable with the large white space and big dark blotches. I see the same pattern as we discussed before:

Here again Tau:

From ACP0000417

I add a view on his right hindlimb as well - there are some small dots that can serve as anchor points for further matching attempts.

Posted

yes @AnLand I agree, Tau for sure 😃

Posted

I'm also going to tag Tau in ACP0000417 / ACP000041c / ACP000041f

Posted