Chimp & See Talk

Skye and Shakti - New matching discussion: leopard at Quiet Wood

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I am thinking about whether ACP0000d0e and ACP0000b3x (both on February 7th, 2013 in the same night - 17:54 and 23:55) are the same individual, not Tau.

I would suggest the match based on the different back view (to Tau): rounder hips and a pecular spot pattern on the right hindlimb.

ACP0000b3x

enter image description here

ACP0000d0e

Posted

I corrected my posting above as I am not sure whether it's a female. The individual looks rounder, but actually not much smaller than Tau.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

@AnLand I think the number of the first video (ACP0000b3x) is incorrect since it shows a front view only. But from the pictures you've posted I can clearly see the same pattern at the right hindleg. It is different from Tau, that's for sure so you made another match! 😃

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

Agreed. Not Tau. Different pattern on back.

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

I agree also but can't be sure about the sex. Still here he/she is again in ACP0000c3d, same pattern.

Posted

Hi all!

First, my apologies for the wrong video ID: ACP0000b3x is indeed the individual I am talking about, but from the wrong camera. Video ACP0000c3d that @squish5 mentioned here is the same situation and individual, but from the paired camera.

So, it seems to me that we already have a preliminary agreement. I will include both indviduals into the "unclear sex" category of the prospective list and suggest we explore the Quiet Wood site for some more days to check if we find other matches and maybe a clear indication of the sex of this individual and name only in a week (or ten days?) or so. Would that be acceptable to everyone?

Thanks again!

Posted

Absolutley @AnLand, you're the "leopard boss" 😃

Posted

I updated the prospective leopards list and tagged the videos. They got the following temp IDs:

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Sounds like a plan @AnLand. Be interesting to see a finished (as much as possible) site.

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

Good with me @AnLand

Posted

I want to add the following two videos ACP000054a and ACP00008k1 to this discussion – it seems to be a big male with a similar body build (broader hips, generally rounder back view) like the individual discussed here. I am also pretty sure we can exclude Tau here.

I see some very general similarities with the new individual (LeoUnclearQW02/b) here, but still cannot necessarily prove a matching spot pattern. I am a bit more convinced of ACP000054a (there is a really weirdly formed, almost geometric pattern at knee height at the right hindlimb), but I am far from sure.

ACP000054a

ACP00008k1

For sorting out Quiet Wood, I think, we should assess these four sequences together and discuss the individuals. (These new videos here are definitely not our female. And also not Tau.)

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Looks good to me @AnLand, Geometric pattern blurred in b/w pic but looks ok. Also for additional reference check the 'mickey mouse' trio at top left of inserts, 2 small dots above bigger one. New male would be cool 😃

Posted

I thought a bit more about the four videos discussed here. It seems that we have two potential matches and - at least until now - no explicit disagreement about that.

But the pattern is quite different for comparing the pairs. Much more orderly spots on ACP000054a and ACP00008k1. The both "unclear" videos, however, show a quite elaborate geometric pattern. (All on the right hindlimb.) I don't see an overall match.

I think, we already agreed that ACP000054a and ACP00008k1 are a male and not Tau. The pattern doesn't fit and the general back view is heavier and broader.

I also want to come back to my initial suggestion that LeoUnclearQW02 and 02b are a female. I think the build is smaller and more delicate than both Tau and the other male. The pattern does not fit Tau, the other male, and - in my opinion - also not the already identified female. But this should be discussed again. Please weigh in!

Thank you!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Hey @AnLand, sorry so late!! Sun was out in Ireland, can't miss that lol. It does appear to be 2 different males other than Tau, awesome.

As for LeoUnclearQW02 and 02b being female, sure is smaller anyway so my guess would be to agree with female 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to squish5's comment.

Hm, now I am a bit confused: I see in the discussion rather one male: ACP000054a and ACP00008k1 that seems to be a match and an unclear pair (LeoUnclearQW02 ( ACP0000d0e ) and 02b ( ACP0000c3d)) that might be female and a match as well. Where do you see another male? Or did I misunderstand something?

For me the count for Quiet Wood is at the moment (all preliminary!): Tau + Saoirse + LeoUnclearQW02 and 02b + the male from ACP000054a and ACP00008k1. I think it will be better to give temp ID for the male leopards. Will do that soon!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Sorry @AnLand, I think I was out in the sun too long. Count looks good 😃

Posted

Sorry I'm still trying to catch up after one week of absence.

I already agreed on LeoUnclearQW02 and LeoUnclearQW02b to be a match. I'm quite sure it's a female or otherwise we should see some testicles at one point with all these backviews.

As for our male in ACP000054a and ACP00008k1 I can also agree. That's definitley the same leopard. The geometric pattern looks almost like a regular net and the Micky Mouse is very convincing too. I just hope this won't be his name 😄

Posted

OK, I would suggest to proceed with naming the male in ACP000054a and ACP00008k1. Does anyone has a suggestion whom we might ask for a name? I think everybody who participated in the discussion has already named a leopard, so we could ask other volunteers.

I will add him to the known (males) section.

We will deal with the unclear individual next. Thank you!

Posted

@AnLand First I thought maybe @Batfan but she already named Jelani. Have you kept track of who named who?

There would be also other volunteers that come to mind, e.g. @puddock or @bannd67 or did they also already name a leopard?

Posted

As @puddock already named our playful subadult female Puck at Aged Violet and no other namers have been suggested, we should ask @bannd67 for a name for our second male at Quiet Wood.

@bannd67, what should his name be? The name must be unique, so please keep an eye on the names already taken. Here the master list of animal names.

Posted

We have a name for our second male at Quiet Wood: Shakti, which means power in Sanskrit. Thank you, @bannd67 for this great name!

Posted

A really suitable name for this beautiful leopard @bannd67!

Posted

So, to finish up the Quiet Wood leopard assessment, I suggest that we name the fourth individual identified at this site and I will make afterwards a short summary of what we learned. (This will take some time, please bear with me.)

Just to be clear: this does not mean that nothing cannot be discussed anymore! If you have further ideas about matchings or questions about the videos, please post at any time. But realistically, the leftover videos will be really hard to match to any of our named individuals: Saoirse, Shakti, Tau, and this fourth individual.

I am going to ask our long-term volunteer @Corcaroli to name the individual from ACP0000d0e and ACP0000c3d. The leopard seems to be female, based on the smaller body size, but we should stick as far as possible with a neutral name.

Thanks a lot for all your help at this site, especially to @squish5, @zoogirl1, and @Boleyn!

Posted

Hi all!

@Corcaroli proposed the name Skye and I think that is a wonderful choice - simple and classy. Thanks a lot!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Cheers @AnLand, must take my introvert hat off and get stuck into the new site 😃 😃

Posted