Chimp & See Talk

Project expectations?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I'm curious about what your initial expectations were about how this project would go and how it has played out so far in comparison to those initial expectations. What do you know now that you didn't know in the beginning about a project that involves citizens?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thanks for asking this @Snorticus. I think we all would like to know this!!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Great question @Snorticus!

I would start by saying that there are so many amazing innovations that you guys have come up with that we had never thought of and blow our minds! Like the chimp list, the hashtagging to the species level, the amazing dedication and hard work of our moderators and our regular users, the primate guide, the duiker guide, the bird identifications, the update to the species guide in classifications, the incredible blog entries and celebration events, and so much more!!!

We didn't know about having moderators when we started and now I have no idea how we would do chimp&see without them!

I think maybe we also had hoped it would go faster 😉 but I am not sure if that was a realistic expectation and just more of a hope! I certainly hope that with the translations we will get done this year for the classification page that we can have more of an international community here too and that also we can get through more videos and show you so many new chimp habitats!

I think we also didn't realize how much work it would be from our side, and also how much fun we would have doing it!

We didn't have a super clear idea on how the chimp matching would work or if it would work at all and I think the evolution we are having with the aspect of it, and continue to have with it has been exciting and sometimes a bit overwhelming.

I think we have also been really touched by the dedication of so many people that have participated on Talk past and present, we really adore the community that has been built here and the interest you all have shown for our work and passion for the natural world! The questions we get from you all daily are really smart and thought provoking and we love the platform Talk has given people to discuss important topics in conservation and evolution.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Do you think it will be possible to get more users due to the translations and/or are there other ideas to promote this awesome project more? I think - from the volunteer side - that more should be possible (more volunteers, I mean).

Posted

I think we try to do a lot of promotion when we have new papers coming out, we reach out to the media with press releases etc, we went to the science march and promoted C&S, we have done a lot of outreach at conferences and promoting C&S at various talks around the globe. We of course have our facebook and twitter feeds. I think we're doing a pretty great job to be honest but we're always open to more ideas 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Thanks, that was no meant as critical. Just a question about idea you might have. Sorry.

Posted

LOL

Posted