Chimp & See Talk

Nighttime Elephant Trunk Hug

• gennessee by gennessee

https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP000djyq

I'm enamored with this video and would love an expert opinion on this #social_interaction. Are these elephants greeting each other? Can they see well in the dark or are they checking each other out by feel? Is this 2 adults or possibly a mother & child?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to gennessee's comment.

@NuriaM will love this clip! She's also our elephant expert here and will reply next week. She's not working on weekends ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

btw: to post clips in any discussion or comment here at C&S it's enough to just copy the no. just above the video and paste it, like ACP000djyq It will be automatically linked to.

Posted

• gennessee by gennessee

Thanks @Boleyn ! Here's another interesting one. ACP000d5tw ACP000d5tu Not sure if this is scratching an itch, something sexual, or just a tree that got in the way.

Here you can see her pushing it down ACP000d5tz

(Is there a way to see if there's another video in the series after that one? I'm not sure how they're numbered and ACP000d5ua is unrelated.)

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to gennessee's comment.

Hi @gennessee ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

ACP000djyq : sooooo beautiful! these look like two juveniles to me. They are greeting each other. Elephants are extremely tactile animals; they touch each other not only with their trunks, but also with their whole body. They twine their trunks as a way of greeting or to play. I donยดt think we have seen any yet, but if we get to see an elephant introducing its trunk into the mouth of another elephant, we will be seing a sign of subordination. A mother ele. constantly touches her calf for reassurance.

as for the elephantยดs vision, you might find our blog interesting: http://chimpandsee.blogspot.de/search/label/elephant , where you will find a post about
    the elephantยดs vision :

(...) they are one of the animals that exhibit arrhythmic vision, that is, their vision changes within the daytime. At night, their eyes are most sensitive to violet light so they can see pretty well under the smallest amount of daylight when the prevailing color of the atmosphere is in the violet range. They have pretty sensitive rods as well (the higher density of rods in the retina, the more sensitive to light one can be), so elephants do a good job when it comes to night vision compared to humans.

Posted

ACP000d5tu / ACP000d5tw / ACP000d5tz : LOL!! Have I already mentioned that I LOVE these animals??? She is just having a great scratching moment ๐Ÿ˜„

Look at this video: ACP000ds01 ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

Thanks Nuria, our elephant-Mama! ๐Ÿ˜„

@gennessee you already found the way how to hack the URL. The sequences are 1 minute each and you already found all 4 of them including ACP000d5ty. The numbers start with 0 not with an a, that's why ACP000d5ua is not related. There are some clips already classified in that range: ACP000d5u1 and ACP000d5u2

But...we don't particularly encourage this technique to search further as for the one actual minute. You find some reasons why here. The minutes are almost never in sequence anyway. If you are determinded to find the next minute the best would be to search the elephant collection and/or browse through the "Recent" frequently.

Good luck! ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• gennessee by gennessee

@NuriaM thanks so much for all the info. I'll be sure to check out the blog; they are fascinating creatures!

Thanks to to @Boleyn as well; it's funny I actually came across that url hacking post after I posted here. (I only knew about the sequences from some other discussion threads.) Good points and I'll be sure to keep in in mind in the future!

Posted

Great, thanks!

You seem to be infected with our lovely site already. That's wonderful ๐Ÿ˜„ Hope to read more of you!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Oh, Heidi, you always cheer me up...no one had ever called me elephant-Mama before, now I feel like I should probably go on a diet ๐Ÿ˜„

๐Ÿ˜—

Posted

@gennessee , I really hope to read you often ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

LOL - you're cracking me up, Nuria! ;D ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted