Chimp & See Talk

How does the sequence of videos work?

• glashelder by glashelder

Just something I was wondering. I thought that when all videos from, for example, Cool Silence 5 were watched and classified, we'd move on to Red Water 6. I was watching Red Water 6 videos yesterday and I see we're at Muddy Frost 7 already. Today, I'm seeing more Cool Silence 5 videos.

What is the reason for turning back to Cool Silence 5? Are these videos that are being recycled because of unclear classifications? Is the sequence totally random (so all videos can be watched by a lot of different people), or is there any particular reason for going back? I've not seen videos of the earlier sites in the past few days, so I guess these are all 'done' now and the videos I'm seeing now are not done yet? So why are we moving on to different sites?

I'd just like some insight on how the sequencing works and who gets to see what and why 😃

Posted

• eileen96 by eileen96

I would be interested in knowing that also.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

We're currently looking at Cool Silence 5 and Red Water 6. You'll notice nobody's posted anything on the Muddy Frost 7 board yet, there's just the Prospective/Known Chimps topics put up in advance.

The sequence of videos any given user sees is randomly selected from the currently active videos, for the reasons you said. Each video gets seen by X number of people before being 'retired' and taken out of circulation. If you've taken part in other Zooniverse projects, this is how (almost) all of them work.

The neat thing for this project is that the 'active' videos are being put up in batches, one for each site, so that everyone's looking at the same areas at the same time. As one site gets closer to finishing, a new one is added, so there's generally more than one site up at a time, though I think we were looking at only Cool Silence 5 for a day or two, because that site has so many videos.

Posted

• glashelder by glashelder

Thank you! That's interesting 😃

Posted