Chimp & See Talk

need help with "wording"

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

I read it as hashtags, but cannot find it in the hashtag-list.
    I'm just learning all the english special terminology. So can please anyone give me the term for:
    How is it called, when a female is carrying her infant
    a) on the back
    b) under her belly
    c) on the neck, when walking half bipedal
    ... are there more possibliitys?

And: are this differences not used in the hashtag-list?

Thx!

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

An infant carried on the back is carried dorsally or is a dorsal infant. On the belly is ventral. I don't know of any special term for on the neck, or any other location (which is certainly possible!). Here's a photo of a gorilla mom carrying her infant in the palm of her hand (I don't have one handy of a chimp mom):

enter image description here

Posted

dorsal / ventral ... that was it. Thanks a lot @jwidness! I took it to my wording list.
    Are theese gorillas really "brownish"? Or is it the light?
    I just browsed through the pictures of this unbelieveble "red-head" chimp (brown fur) which I have never seen before ...
    To be carried in a gorillas palm. What a cosy thought.

Posted

You're right that they are a bit reddish -- nearly all zoo housed gorillas are western lowland gorillas, which often have that pretty red hair. The restless star gorillas, on the other hand, are mountain gorillas, which have beautiful fluffy black hair. Here's a side-by-side image I found online:

Also, haha, now I'm imagining a gorilla large enough to carry a human in the palm of the hand!

Posted

so faszinating, how different they are looking. Alone the ears!
    Uh, like KingKong 😃

Posted

Oh, I almost forgot -- we have a few videos of western lowland on C&S from an earlier site (Shy Waterfall)! The first two pages of the gorilla collection are western lowland, and a few of the videos are in color, like this handsome reddish fellow. They really do look quite different!

Posted

Oh yes. Look at this redhead youngster enter image description here

Posted