Chimp & See Talk

Interim result sharing?

• Nicklenackletree by Nicklenackletree

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to see some interim results e.g. a video clip then the variety of answers "the crowd" gave for it and what the experts coded? Or to get some feedback as I go along e.g. me code a video, then see what the majority answer was?

I worry that while I can distinguish between chimp, gorilla, big cat and "deer", my poor experience of ungulates means my resuls may be less than accurate - I would prefer a category that said "ungulate" rather than trying to narrow down to e.g. duiker species - which I find really hard especially when the field guide shows colour photos and the video footage is shot at night!

If I could see others' results, I could learn if I am doing a poor job overall and wasting your time, or perhaps I could get more accurate with my coding.

Also, if a butterfly sets the camera off, how do you want that coded? As nothing there? Or other?

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hey @Nicklenackletree

Nice seeing you here on Talk! Thanks so much for participating on chimp&see 😄

A great way to get better at classifications is looking through the species collections which you can find here and are filled with black and white images : https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP0000007/discussions/DCP0000qsg

Don't worry about how you code the videos, just do your best! you can learn more about the wisdom of the crowds here : https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

for ungulates we know sometimes we won't get a clear answer on the species or species group but if everyone codes some sort of duiker we will know by a lack of consensus that its a hard to ID duiker species (which would be the same as having a a general ungulate category)

for butterfly you can code as other (nonprimate) and then if you want to be extra helpful when you get to the summary screen, click on 'discuss on talk' and then hashtag it with #butterfly or any of the relevant tags from the keyword list (linked above)

Let us know if you have any more comments or questions!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Hi @Nicklenackletree

The moderators will certainly answer more thoroughly your first questions.

Regarding your concerns: almost every citizen scientist starts with nothing more than little knowledge about the west and central african wildlife. Part of the fun here is to learn, improve the abilities and to become an "advanced classisist". When I started I didn't even know duikers existed and now I can classify 99,8% correctly. So it's mere experience and the fun classifying still holds for me.

What really helps in advancing is to study the recents. The scientists want us to hashtag all known animals. So we do it when we are sure. If we're not, we make our best guess without hashtag and add a #need_ID in a separate comment. Clicking "follow" on the top right adds the video to your personal following tab. If somebody answers and tags correctly you'll find the answer just by clicking the video again.

So I hope to soon see some videos tagged by you! cheers and have fun!

Posted

• Nicklenackletree by Nicklenackletree

Thank you for your helpful thoughts! It is a privilege to be able to be involved with this exciting project!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

I do not you really think that it is particularly good to code insects as "other (non-primate)" as suggested here. This will inflate the classifications needed by quite a lot. I think "nothing there" and tagging with #insect is better and saves everybody some time.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thanks @Boleyn and @AnLand - those are great suggestions! Insects certainly are one of the things we wern't thinking of when we started the project so nothing there plus a tag is a great way to go rather than what i said

Posted