Chimp & See Talk

Damaged ears in chimps

• MDrass by MDrass

Very basic question, I'm sure, but why are there so many damaged ears in the chimps we see? Also, can you suggest a book about chimps for a novice? Thanks and thanks so much for this wonderful site.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi @MDrass!

We had a good discussion about this, does anyone remember where it is?

Basically, life in the forest can be rough and ears are dangly things 😃 they for sure get cut during fights and even just while walking through the forest since there are lots of spikey and burny plants.

For books, i would recommend the ape and the sushi master by frans de waal if you are interested in cognition 😃 Christophe Boesch (the director of the project) has a few books out too: the real chimpanzee and Wild cultures but they are bit more than novice. You could also check out Among African Apes : photos and stories from the field by Robbins and Boesch 😃 I am sure the others here have good recommendations 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Here is the earlier discussion: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000o/discussions/DCP0000hzo (go to page 2 in this thread). 😃

Posted

• MDrass by MDrass

Thanks very much, MimiA and AnLand. I enjoyed reading that earlier discussion, too. I though it might be some behavioral thing but didn't think of all the thorns and the danger of infection. I have a small goat herd and the girls, when annoyed, bite at each others ears. Never seen any real damage but perhaps like the zoo chimps, there's not much competition for food and no strangers in the herd! And the goats' teeth can provide a painful bite but not so likely to tear an ear! Think I'll start with Among African Apes, looks very enjoyable.

Posted

Thanks @AnLand for finding the discussion! and let us know how you like the book @MDrass! 😄

Posted

• MDrass by MDrass

Hi MimiA. I finished Among African Apes and enjoyed it very much. WRT damaged ears, Prof. Boesch tells a sad story about a young chimp with who died from a human introduced respiratory virus. This chimp's ear was damaged as an infant clinging to his mother as she scrambled for her share of meat from a recently killed monkey. I learned so much from this book; e.g., I didn't know human diseases are such a threat to these endangered animals. It's a very quick and easy read for any newbies in the group who want an introduction to our "forest cousins" as one of the authors described them. And, as an aside, there's a photo of a male bonobo reclining on a tree branch that should be made into a poster. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted

YAY! So glad you enjoyed it!

Yes, the zoonotic disease transmission is a major topic for us in both directions (human to ape and ape to human!). Its why so many of us are really skeptical when it comes to re-introducing sanctuary apes into areas with wild apes or when it comes to how expansive we see eco-tourism becoming. Also of course its a major cause of our concern when we see so many people hunting bushmeat and allowing ape viruses into human populations.

One of the best things they do at Tai is that every person working there gets an oral swab done at fix intervals, so if there is ever another outbreak of respiratory diseases, it can be determined which human brought the disease in. Its a bit harsh but it also certainly assures that everyone follows the very strict health protocols set up there to protect the apes!

Posted