Chimp & See Talk

Unknown duikers/ungulate

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

While looking at duikers, I found a couple that I could not identify, even as "grey" or "red." I also found one "large ungulate" that looks closer to a sitatunga, but I'm not sure what it really is. Anyone know? Thanks!

Light reddish-gray with dark back, small red crest, long light tail

ACP00005mv ACP00005mx ACP00005mz (Also, possibly the same type as ACP0000939 ACP000093a)

Duiker

Red body with gray head and legs, small tail, short horns

ACP00001xu ACP00001xx

Duiker

Dark brown with faint light marks on back, small dark horns, red patch on forehead, white stripe across face

ACP0000f7p ACP0000f7s ACP0000f7t ACP0000f7u ACP0000f78

Duiker

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Hi @ksigler,

here my guess:

the first one, Red-flanked duiker (Cephalophus rufilatus): http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/4149/0

the second one is hard, but I go for Black-fronted duiker (Cephalophus nigrifrons): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-fronted_duiker

and the last one, I agree with you, it really looks like a young male sitatunga (females are hornless). They have 8 to 10 dorsal white stripes (in these videos the number of stripes is hard to tell though).

Posted

Thank you very much, @NuriaM! I was really excited by the sitatunga. I guess we missed him the first time around, but hopefully we'll see more.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

What about these guys ACP00059x5 (found by @wewa)?

enter image description here

enter image description here

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

I believe the bay duiker has many variations of the bold dorsal stripe, including spreading down over the shoulders to the front legs (or over the hips to the hind legs). Considering that these both appear to be nocturnal, have the small horns, and the blaze on the nose... I would guess bay duikers.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

You must be right -- that's also what @Quia said in the comments on the video:

I think they are #bay_duiker, and the second one is a #juvenile-- they are born dark, and lighten up gradually.
    by Quia MODERATOR 2 days ago

Posted

@Mercury82 asked about differentiating between small grey duikers, monticola and maxwelli. Scientists, please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

The primary, fail-safe difference will be distribution. The monticola, or blue duiker, is found in central Africa. Maxwell's duiker is found in western Africa. There is a small amount of overlap, but it's my understanding that there are no sites that fall within that overlap range.

Check the sites here: Map & Site Locations. If you find a small grey duiker in one of the sites of Region A, it's a Maxwell's duiker. If you find one in a site from Region C or D, it's a blue duiker.

Just a reminder (to all), this level of identification is "extra credit." They are both classified as small grey duiker in the classification screen and in hashtags, but you can also tag the individual species in the comments if you've identified them. 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

EXACTLY correct @Ksigler 😃

Posted