Chimp & See Talk

Peter

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

found by @NoirHirsute

He has a narrow face and a gray beard (face looks very long because of this). Frightened or irritated by camera or something behind the camera.

ACP00040bx, ACP00040by, ACP00040bz (walking away)

enter image description here

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Well that face should be easy to recognize if we see him again! Is that a beard, or some injury on his face, or..? His right ear appears to be missing, too.

The female with him also looks to be someone new, almost all the ladies at this site have very dark faces.

Posted

What are you thinking about him? (found by @parsfan)

ACP0004ak2
    ACP0004ak3
    ACP0004ak4

Same beard, slight grayness of legs and lower body matches in my opinion.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

If that's not the same chimp I should probably hang up my hat and give up IDing chimps. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Someone from the science team will probably be by on Monday. They take weekends, unlike us crazy Zooites.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Hey Zooites, I think weยดve got a MATCH!!!!!

You are awesome! his right missing ear looks very much like MF7Male08...I guess not many chimps lack their right ear, right?

Thanks!!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Great!

Posted

...and we have a new prospective female too ( ACP00040bx )...MF7Fem12

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

I don't think he's MF8Male08... They're both missing an ear, but 03/08 is more robust, light face, wide mouth, rather blocky head with a narrow brow, no beard, and graying on the back. The fellow found in this thread is dark faced, dark back, with a long narrow mouth and very impressive beard, and balding somewhat.

That said, the two sequences of the chimp discussed in this thread are 7 days apart and definitely the same guy both times. I think he needs a name. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

ACP0003rkt discussion
    Male08, possible match to Male03 as seen in ACP0004tp4

Two different sightings, ACP00040bx and ACP0004ak2, as discussed in this thread.

Posted

Thanks, @Quia. I basically agree with you. Maybe @NuriaM could look into that again. (That said, if we are already naming the confirmed match now, I would like to propose a name ... I mean, that's the fun part here.)

Posted

hmmm...actually I based my assumption on his right ear, but if you think these are different guys I will check it with others ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

About naming, let me ask how we can do it and I will get back to you as soon as I have answers...

thanks!!

Posted

I guess you guys might be right. During conflicts, chimps go for ears, toes, fingers, scrotum โ€“ basically parts that can be bitten. So I would say that chimps are somehow likely to lack ears as a result of fights (especially adult males). It was though confusing that both lack the same ear and have the same kind of cut...but still their faces do look quite different.

Sorry, I was overexcited by my first match ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

I will get back to you when I get the answer to the naming part.

Posted

...so, I already added him to the prospective chimps list: MF7Male10.

Thanks!!

Posted

Hi again,

I have been told that we can start now with the naming thing, but only if we are ABSOLUTELY sure that they are matches.

So, I would say that you can start proposing names for MF7Male10 (AnLand was the one finding the match, right?)

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Thank you! I would like to propose: Peter.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Peter is cool, I like it!

Posted

I am a bit inspired tonight and we have to do something with all these IDs, so I propose a match of Peter to MF7Male17: robust build male with slightly gray lower back (grayness not very high on the back), white-spotted beard, baldness until midline of head, comparable flat head and straight brow with only very slight dip, round eyes that are strangely reflective in both color and black-and-white mode of cameras. Small, somehow flat nostrils. Same reaction pattern to camera.

Unfortunately in MF7Male17 is the right ear not visible that is missing with Peter. Food in mouth of MF7Male17 - so form of mouth not comparable. ACP0003vy2

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I think you're right AnLand. The face (w/ the awesome eyes), body style, gray back, rump and scrotum all look the same to me. And yes, even the same camera reaction, which is kind of funny. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

agreed ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I completely agree that MF7Male17 is Peter -- in fact, I sort of stumbled upon that conclusion after seeing this male with no temp name:

(from ACP0003v9z, found in the spreadsheet, first tagged by @AnLand)

and thinking that he looked like MF7Male17, only to realize that @AnLand had already suggested that Male17 was a match to Peter, and all three of them look the same to me! I don't know if the video of this new guy is good enough for a match, but he does have the same body size/shape (which I think looks kind of weird -- like a bit hump-back or something if that makes sense?), the same back greyness, a flat forehead, and the distinct white by the mouth. Even if this guy can't be matched, I totally support Peter = MF7Male17.

Posted

It's always risky to match a chimp that crosses so briefly, but I agree, the body build, grayness and white-spotted beard look like Peter and we matched Peter already once from a distance. But, meanwhile we have a second male chimp with exactly the same traits and we need to exclude him or look into that match again (here the brief discussion to MF7Male23: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000j/discussions/DCP000077s).

At the first glance, I immediately proposed MF7Male23 as a match to Peter, but agreed to @NuriaM's hesitation as the right ear (Peter has none) looks different. It is damaged with a cut, but there is an ear. Meanwhile, after matching MF7Male17 to Peter, I looked more closely as in the black-and-white footage the forms and color differences become somehow clearer. More and more I agree with @NuriaM that MF7Male23 is not Peter. Not only because of the ear, but also because his head has a dip at the midline (looks kind of wavey) that is not visible in Peter. His back is gray too, but maybe not to the same extent as Peter's (both, less area that is gray and slightly lesser grayness in color terms). The question is, what do we see in the new proposal? I basically agree with @jwidness and would rather go with Peter. But I think, we need to discuss this with both males in mind.

As a reminder: this is MF7Male23. His only video footage here: ACP0004aty

Posted

ok, if we all agree (me too ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ) I will hashtag MF7Male17 as Peter.

@jwidness, your male is very similar to Peter, but this footage is not enough for my taste ๐Ÿ˜ฆ . If we could only see his ear...

Posted