Chimp & See Talk

Juvenile chimp

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

found by @LJE

Probably female. Round brows and round regular eyes. Here with a small eye injury(?). Very light and triangular mouth area. @LJE suggests a match to MF7Inf05.

enter image description here

ACP0003zd5

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

#MF7Inf18
    ...I really doubt about the match: Inf05´s brows are rounded, eyes are bigger, face rounder... 😕

Posted

MF7Inf15 looks similar. But this can be caused by the very similar light. Triangular bright mouth area, round ears, similar hair style.

Posted

I will add them too to the possible matches list...I honestly think that it is the light that makes us find similarities. I see Inf15´s face rounder and smaller in general, but maybe it´s the angle.

Let´s see what others think.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Similarities.. The browline arcs, with very strong definition on the top but no strong separation from the rest of the face. The eyes high on the face and close set, pretty well defined bridge of the nose. Light, uniform color to the upper face area, with a lighter mouth. Quite fuzzy hair partially covering ears, left ear visible and quite large and sticking out.

Sadly Inf15 is too far away to see if it has the little white mark on the left eye, that would be a nice feature to match.

Posted

Good morning, my heart jumped this morning a bit, as the scene with MF7Inf18 synchronized in the spreadsheet exactly were I expected it - directly after the scene with MF7Fem02 and infant. I went over this again ad again yesterday and light and background noise fit exactly. Sadly, the spreadsheet also says that there is almost 200 minutes of footage in between ... ok.

But here my question to @NuriaM: you noted MF7Inf18 as an infant. That means - usually - her mom should be around quite close. Closer as with the juveniles that spent considerable time sitting alone, right? Also, as she is an infant, her mother should not have another infant or only a very, very small one. Am I right with this, too? I just try to make up my mind what to look for in the future. Thanks!

And thanks @Quia for synchronizing and your thoughts about the proposed match above.

Posted

Another thought - for somebody with a better computer screen and/or better eyes: does MF7Inf06 has something on her left eye, too? It is really hard to see, I admit.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Quia's comment.

Good morning @Quia,

thanks for your points!!

hm...usually infants and juveniles are quite difficult to distinguish ( I am sure you have already noticed 😉 ). Sorry if I am so sceptic and meticulous, but with juveniles/infants, black and white shots and far in the distance I find it risky to assure that two individuals are the same one. You are right though: they have some face similarities, but others like the fuzzy hair covering the ears might be quite common in inf/juveniles.

Let me just ask for more opinions...

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Good morning @AnLand,

you are really getting an expert on spreadshet data!! I really appreciate it.

About your question, although I noted him/her as an infant, s/he is a big one: we consider infants from birth until the age of 5:

http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP0000001/discussions/DCP00003rn .

S/he is on the limit between an infant and a juvenile (again quite difficult to determine...). As the infants grow old, they leave mom gradually, until they are quite often seen alone (but still mom is alway watching 😉 ). Chimpanzees have a long mother-infant dependency period. Infants will nurse on their mothers for five years and stay with their mothers several more years learning to care for younger siblings.

As said above, this is an infant-juvenile, which means that the mother might have had more offspring, as female´s interbirth interval is between 3 and 5 years and their gestation period is 8 to 9 months.

And all this bore just to say that you are right, the mother should be quite close (but not so close as with younger infants), and she could have more small offspring.

I hope I answered your question.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I previously noted that I thought MF7Inf15 and MF7Inf06 were a match (and I also suggested a match to MF7Inf04, though I feel less strongly about that), and I totally agree that this new juvenile appears to be a match as well. Her right ear has a curl to it that matches nicely and I think the other features are similar as well.

Posted

Good morning everyone!

I think we have a match...MF7Inf18 and MF7Inf15.

I really see many similarities with MF7Inf06, so if we all agree, we could give a name to Inf06, Inf15 and Inf18... @jwidness, would you like to propose it?

about the mothers, I am not sure that MF7Fem06 and MF7Fem22 are a match, I will include them in the possible matches list because their infants are a match.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Hi @NuriaM - with this match that includes MF7Inf06 we in principle exclude a younger sibling, right? As this infant was carried by its mother as they ran away from the camera, there should/could not be a very young infant around. Just checking because we still have to match the female.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I'd like to propose Zelda : )

Posted

hi @jwidness...

I like Zelda, thanks!

and I don´t understand your question well (sorry)...you mean that Fem06 shouldn´t be seen with any other infant apart from Inf06? If I understood right your question, this was my response to @AnLand ´s comment in this thread:

" this is an infant-juvenile, which means that the mother might have had

more offspring, as female´s interbirth interval is between 3 and 5
    years and their gestation period is 8 to 9 months"

Please tell me if I answered your question... 😉

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Hi @NuriaM, it was my question. And yes, we talked earlier about Inf15 and Inf18 - where it was not clear who the mother is. Now that we settled with the match with Mf7Inf06 and her mother is carrying her in that video, that excludes in my opinion that there is another smaller infant in the time frame we are looking at. (Apart from a very, very small baby.) This information would just make it easier to exclude certain combination while looking for a match for MF7Fem06.

See also this discussion: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000j/discussions/DCP0000793

Posted

Thanks @AnLand,

probably there is no infant in this time frame (she is too busy with Zelda already 😉 ), but what I mean is that she could be biologicaly ready, and this should be taken into account.

Posted