Chimp & See Talk

Patrols?

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

We had at Muddy Frost 7 quite a lot of traveling scenes with more than one male. This new one: ACP0004mri, ACP0004mrj, ACP0004mrk, ACP0004mrl that ends in an aggression with loud vocalization makes me think whether this is kind of a patrol that @MimiA describes earlier here: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP0000002/discussions/DCP00006s3

Any thoughts about this?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

if the camera is located at the periphery of a chimp territory, it could be a patrol...although their way of walking doesn´t look very watchful for a patrol to me.

I just hope we don´t witness any aggression scene like the one in the video that @MimiA posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7XuXi3mqYM

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

My two cents: patrols are usually more organized -- they walk close behind each other and usually on more of the same path. Also, a juvenile female isn't as likely to be on a patrol as an adult male.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Thanks, it was just the feeling that we see several males traveling together here more often. (But I also don't know the other sites so well as Muddy Frost.) You are right in @MimiA's video it looks much more organized and attentive.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I don't feel like I know any of these sites very well, but I will say that certainly the size of the community will affect how many males you see at once. A community that only has 3 adult males will look very different from a community that has 30 adult males. Additionally, my understanding is that some communities are simply more gregarious that others -- potentially because their food sources are richer and they can afford to spend more time together feeding from the same area.
    At any rate, I think patrolling behavior is very interesting and it would be cool if we had some in our videos : )

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hey everyone, yes patrols definitely have a characteristic look and behaviour, with the individuals grouped together, mostly in a line and being very silent and vigilant (you usually won't see them stopping to eat something off the ground like in the videos listed above). I will note however that females can certainly be on patrols, so don't count the ladies out!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

so interesting! 😉

Posted