Chimp & See Talk

My first one armed chimp... -- Dodge

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Yay new site and discovered my first unlabeled chimp! ACP0005a9l ACP0005a9m This guy has his back to camera. Robust male. Big healthy ears with no damage. Very pale beard. Thick black fur. Slightly grey lower half of back. In my unscientific opinion - very handsome!

Male chimp left ear

![Male chimp right ear]
    (https://static.zooniverse.org/www.chimpandsee.org/subjects/5520395669736d72e6ea5102/previews/5520395669736d72e6ea5102_10.jpg)

Male chimp back to camera

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi Snorticus!!
    Very clear video but really hard to ID without seen the face or something very peculiar of his back.
    Let's see what more we can find in 8 - Crimson Dew!
    thanks a lot 😉

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0005a9m I guess I was so surprised to find an unlabeled chimp clip that I missed the most obvious of this chimp's traits - his right arm is missing above the elbow.

enter image description here

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Wow, we all missed that! Nice job taking a second look 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I guess I need to make a collection labeled "chimps who are missing parts in Crimson Dew" as it looks like we may have several 😦

Posted

Is there something that makes you think this isn't Dodge?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I was looking at ACP0004zng @AnLand post and discussion: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000k/discussions/DCP00009bq

She talks about that chimp with no right arm and thinks his foot might be missing, which would be an additional chimp with no right arm. I couldn't decide if this foot was maimed/missing, or if he was just using the sideways hopping as a strategy to get down the hill faster using only three limbs to catch up with the first chimp.

Posted

That's a good point. Personally, I think his odd gait (in ACP0004zng) is not due to any missing feet, just perhaps the missing arm and the incline. You can see his right foot clearly when he takes a step at second 1 (between previews 1 and 2) and you can see his left foot when he takes the next step at second 5 (between previews 5 and 6). I think I'm leaning toward the idea that there is just one male missing a right forearm....

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

That would essentially mean that this guy ACP0004vc9 is the one one-armed chimp, too. Same gait and he holds the arm just like the other one-armed for balance. Might be. The arm could be hidden by the tree due to his position but could be that there is none. (Grayness of back would match and size and color of testicles, too.)

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0004vc9 To me it looks like he hops to get over a liana root that curves out into his path. Can't actually see if right arm is missing but the posture seems similar to clips of Dodge leaning far left for balance on his single arm when moving forward.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Wow!! how is possible that we missed the most obvious sign of this chimp. I guess no one hope this kind of things...

Posted