Chimp & See Talk

Question about a video

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

In this video ACP00052wp a female arrives with a ventrally carried infant. The infant walks some steps and another female seems to offer her back to ride. We discussed very briefly something like alloparenting. Is she really offering to carry the infant (he/she is not interested) or is this just a coincidental movement without any significance. I am just interested. (Video found by @sabine-hh)

https://static.zooniverse.org/www.chimpandsee.org/subjects/552038e869736d72e6aa2c02/previews/552038e869736d72e6aa2c02_10.jpg

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I saw that too and was also not sure what was going on! To me it looks like the female is making a submissive grin as she presents her backside, but I'd love to hear from the science team (or anyone who knows). I'm also curious about the vocalizations going on in the background for the entire 1 minute sequence.

Also, who is that female?? The video is from January 2014 and the infant looks quite large, but arrives being carried ventrally. Despite being carried ventrally, I think River and Flocke are the only infants that could be so large, and to me, the size of the infant and the appearance of the one carrying the infant suggest Amy/River. The other female looks vaguely like Yeesha to me, but I'm curious what others think. 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

This reminds me also of the scene where a female is surrounded by two small infants (the one that is still on your mind @AnLand ACP00059xj, ACP00059xk). Isn't it possible that females look after other infants - just like baby-sitting?

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist

Hi all, @jwidness the vocs heard throughout are screams, sound like victim screams, as if a chimp has been attacked or protesting some behaviour.
    Also want to add that we do in fact see other chimpanzees, most often juvenile males and females, carry infants around, but never for too long and never too far away from the mother, so I would not refer to it as baby-sitting. Also keep in mind that chimpanzees, adult males and females, have been observed to adopt orphans when mothers die, so yes in general one does observe that the whole group is very affectionate and protective of young infants.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to akalan's comment.

Thanks!

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Thanks @akalan for your comment!

Posted