Chimp & See Talk

adult male with juvenile - Ebony and Amundi

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

Pretty fast, but might be useful for ID. Adult male carrying an object followed by a juvenile (my guess is male):

video

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

We have already some males and juveniles in the known/prospective list. http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000l/discussions/DCP0000cgz

You can check there if they are some of these prospective or known chimps, if not we will include them in the list as new individuals.

Thanks!!

Posted

I'm not great at finding matches, but I don't think the adult male has a match in the list yet. The only one that might match is LSMale05. He seems to walk a little hunched over, but not quite the same as Male05 and his face doesn't look the same to me.

It's really hard to say with the juvenile, but s/he does resemble LSJuv01.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I also see a lot similarities with LSJuv01. The only thing is that the fur of the juvenile in the video here looks quite thin at the lower back. We don't see the back of LSJuv01 very well in the direct view, but it looks somehow darker and more dense. The spots on the fur of the juvenile here are only leafs or something, I think, not bald spots. I see the same round brows, dark eye area, same marble-like, round nostrils, body build and age.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

In my opinion they might very well be the same, this male here and #LSMale05. Same profile just taken from the other side:

ACP0005uil

enter image description here

Posted

Quite dark, straight brows, a bit triangular ears, gray beard with some white spots, hunched. Hm, there seems to be quite some similarities.

Posted

They are looking pretty similar now. I'm just not very confident, since I've been wrong about matches so many times in the past.

Posted

Hi all,
    @lauraklynn, don't worry if your matches were wrong, we always discuss before accept or reject a match, so there is never wrong match, just proposal that can be accepted or not (or kept pending until have more videos). So, feel very free and very welcome to propose match!!!

In this case, I agree that the male of ACP0005n26 is LSMale05 and the juvenile is LSJuv01. So, @lauraklynn, @AnLand, @Boleyn, who wants to propose names!!!???

Great team job! Thanks a lot!

Posted

Hi @Boleyn and @lauraklynn, I will keep out of the naming here as I only supported your findings with my observations. Maybe you can agree who wants to name which chimp? From the matching point of view, the juvenile should go to @lauraklynn and the male to @Boleyn, I guess? But you can switch, of course.

Posted

Sure, as you prefer.
    Thanks AnLand

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Thank you, very kind: I like to name the male chimp "Ebony" for his black fur, if this is ok.

Posted

I just got to name an adult male, so I am happy to pass that honor to someone else this time (@Boleyn).

Do we know what sex the juvenile is or should I try to choose something that works for either male or female?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

Hi @lauraklynn, from your video, I would rather say male, but I am quite sure that @PauDG would prefer a more neutral name, just to be safe. Thanks a lot!

Posted

I propose the name Amundi for the youngster

Posted

Ebony and Amundi, perfect!! Thanks a lot

Posted

In the second 2-3 of ACP0005n26, I can see also what looks like a wound in the right back of Ebony.

Posted