Chimp & See Talk

Adult with weathered face - LSMale07

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

ACP0005u0f

Not positive of the gender, but here's an adult with a weathered-looking face. Lots of gray spots and/or scarring, particularly one long light mark extending down the left brow and one extending down from the left ear. Left ear is small but appears in tact, can't see the right. Some gray on lower back.

face

left profile

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Nice find! I cannot add any spontaneous idea wo he might be. Will look into that later. In ACP0005tvk (from the other camera), he arrives before LSFem05. Gray lower back. One cannot see anything else in the following videos. But that also suggests that it is a male. Cannot see any swelling.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

I have been watching our prospective/known chimps and I can't find a match with this chimp...
    For now "he" will be SLMale07. Maybe someone can find a match! 😉

Thanks

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Might he just be Rufus again? I see the same brows, the lighter muzzle, nostrils, flat forehead, ears appear undamaged and everything is quite mottled. Body size fits, but seen by the other camera I cannot see the scar (I can barely see anything from his back ACP0005tvk). Just an idea.

enter image description here

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

For what it's worth but that was also my first impression: that's Rufus - especially when I read the description. Let's hope a following sequence can still be found or the videos from the other camera.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Thanks for looking into that. Let's see what the scientists are saying about that idea.

Posted

I like the idea!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

We don't have many left profile views of Rufus that are clear, but of what I could find, I don't see the scars of LSMale07, either. I believe Rufus has a large bare patch under his left ear, but not the clean scar line. And I don't see the scar around the left eye at all, or the lump on the left upper lip (though Rufus has a mouthful of food in many of our clips, so that could be misleading). LSMale07 also appears to have a flatter, more vertical left ear and more gray on the back.

LSMale07:
    LSMale07

Rufus from ACP0005uj8:
    Rufus

Rufus from ACP0005uhx:
    Rufus

Posted

as you say Rufus also has a large bare patch under his left ear, and the video of LSMale07 is a little bit blurred... but let's think more about this proposal. Also maybe more new videos from LSMale07 can appear to help us with this.

Anyway is nice to have different opinions, that make us think more about the proposal, and find more details and features of the chimps!

Thanks you all!

Posted