Chimp & See Talk

Mucho testosterone. 4 chimps crossing creek- maleUnID, Iggy (LSJuv03), LSMale8, LSMale01a

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

17.11.13 at 16:35
    ACP0005wcm
    ACP0005wcn
    ACP0005wco

nothing much to see from the first:

enter image description here

compared to the other ones the second seems to be a little smaller/younger.

No. 3 in line:

and finally no. 4. Could this be Krikkit?:

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Yes, it could be. Let's check if we find some special signal/feature to help us. Also the 2nd could be LSJuv03... 😉
    Great find!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Cool scene. No 4 seems to miss his right ear or part of it. So he might be LSMale01 (I will delete the other suggestion). And No 3 ( ACP0005wcn ) has the small wound left of his butt, we've seen earlier here: ACP0005w4u

Posted

There is one additional strange thing with No 3. (the second individual, first full matured male in ACP0005wcm ): in the beginning - that means when he is still in a distance - you see another white mark on his upper back between the shoulders. I cannot see that if he comes nearer.

But, the same white mark has the first male in this video with Rufus. The face shot does not help, but I wanted to mention it. ACP0005ot4

Posted

Yes, you are right!

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I think you mean left ear ; )

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Yes, of course, the left one. I don't know how many postings I already corrected because of this left and right issue ... So you agree, that he (No 4) might be LSMale01?

I am not totally sure whether @PauDG agreed to both postings or just to one (and then to which one). Guess, we can clarify tomorrow. 😉

Posted

Yes, I think he might be LSMale01 -- I think the facial features match too. He has sort of a sad look about him, I think just because of the way his brows go (not trying to imply he is sad).

Edit: I watched it a few more times, and I still think he might be LSMale01, but I'm not all that confident about it. He definitely has something where the right ear should be, but it's hard for me to tell how much/little is there. I really don't know the LS chimps like I do the CD ones, so take my opinions with a grain of salt 😕

Posted

As for male No. 3 in the sequence (with the white mark high on his back), it looks to me like the mark moves and is maybe a leaf or something else? But I definitely think I've seen another video of a male with a similar mark (besides the one you posted), I just can't find it 😕

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Yes, I would definitely not exclude that this is a leaf. My "matching proposal" is more based on the wound at his rear end to the first male here ACP0005w4u That is too much of a coincidence to be just a leaf. And now we have a face to that male. Makes him easier to recognize independent from the "wound". 😃

The other mark is odd, especially as I cannot see it, when he is nearer to the camera. I just wanted to mention it, because I've seen it before and at least the browline of the male in ACP0005ot4 does not speak against it. Time frame for recognition of a wound would still fit. Let's see what others say.

LSMale04 (the one with the pigment problem), also has a white mark on its back, but at a different place. Cannot say though, whether it is a mark or a leaf.

It is interesting to see that we are recognizing something basically new at every new site. Did we not have these kind of non-permanent traits at other sites or did we just not pay enough attention to them (as there were other/better/easier traits to rely on. Interesting.)

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Now I had a little more time to check out the guys in these videos. I agree with No. 2 beeing LSJuv03. They both have the exact same pointed rear end. Since we have both crossing the same water at different times/dates we can compare them very well. They both have the same built and the same style (left LSJuv03, right our new friend):

So of course I would like to propose a match here 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

yes, no 3 and the guy from ACP0005w4u could very well be the same. The wound is at exactly the same spot but in the newer video it seems to be less fresh.The videos are about 20 days apart. I wonder what our scientists say to this. Looking forward to it!

Regarding the white spot I also think most of the spots we happen to see are just leaves.

And here's again the face going with this wound:

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Wow, when you posted the young males side by side it almost looked like the same footage, once in color and once in black and white! Definitely looks like a match! I also think it's interesting to note how the black and white footage makes him look different in many ways -- for example, I think his hair looks thinner in b/w.

Posted

Hi all!!
    who wants to propose a name to LSJuv03- n2 ACP0005wcm. Thanks!!!

Posted

About the others, I am going to put the 4th male as LSMale01a (as proposal match with LSMale01) and the 3rd as LSMale08.

The male in ACP0005w4u will be in the list LSMale8a.

We can continue discussing about this proposal, but it will be easier if they have at least temporary names.

Thanks!!

Posted

Hi all, as @Boleyn proposed the match and found at least some of the videos, I guess the matching for LSJuv03 goes to her ... She cannot be here this week and told me before that she is very interested in this match and ask me to keep an eye on it and propose the name she has chosen when the time comes. This time is now, so the proposal is Iggy. Thank you very much!

Posted

Perfect!!!

so from now LSJuv03 will be Iggy

Thanks a lot @Boleyn and @AnLand!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Thanks @AnLand for stepping in for Iggy and me 😃

Posted

😉

Posted