Chimp & See Talk

Another bent back chimp & Ebony

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0005w5e This chimp has a similar shape and style of walk and carries food. The bent back posture is evident here, he also tends to walk with knees bent, his legs are shorter in relation to his back which is longer and easy to see from the back view, he is carrying food around in his right hand. Again, may be too far, but this walk and shape are very distinctive in my opinion and are indicative of Ebony.

Not a great preview but shows his stooped rounded posture:
    rounded posture

ACP0005n26 Comparison to Ebony here, we see a similar bent back shape, his distinctive style of walking and with his knees bent, Ebony's legs are shorter in relation to his back which is longer, and carrying food around in his right hand.
    Ebony rounded posture

ACP0005w5f Next clip in the series - we see the chimp's profile, distant but he has a prominent brow ridge that is pale, his muzzle is somewhat flattened in profile, (his eye area looks pale here because the skin it is reflecting the bright light from the sky as he looks up.)
    ![profile view]
    (https://static.zooniverse.org/www.chimpandsee.org/subjects/55203ab169736d72e658c302/previews/55203ab169736d72e658c302_2.jpg)

ACP0005n26 Ebony has a prominent brow ridge that is pale, his muzzle is somewhat flattened in profile
    Ebony profile

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Great find! Despite my hesitations about Ebony's brow ridge that new video proves my point about the hand. I just cannot believe we have one single chimp at a site that always carries something in its right hand and is the only one doing that. It would be quite a fetish. I think there is something with his hand.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Image ACP0005uil Do you think his hand in that clip where he is close to the camera and gathering looks weird or just curved to clutch all that fruit? He also has his mouth full of fruit, like he just can't get enough fruit! I guess Rufus eats with the same gusto though.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

You see Rufus here in the foreground gathering fruits ACP0005ujb His hand is full of fruits and in Ebony's case you do not even see a single fruit! He might be able to gather some fruits in his hand, but it looks from the other videos that he cannot burden the hand heavily (supporting him while walking and climbing in the lyanas).

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Don't you think his hand looks a bit "clawish"? In the meantime I'm sure it's a disability. And of course I agree, the first video must be Ebony!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Image ACP0005uil

Also in support of your thought that Ebony's right hand is damaged - At the very end here you see him gathering fruit with his left hand and bringing it close to the right hand as he turns. He extends a finger on the right hand as if the left hand is going to deposit a fruit in the right hand. Then we see a fruit drop and roll which may be a result of the inability of the right hand to properly clutch the fruit due, as you assert, to damage or deformity.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

I do think the hand looks "clawish" and that AnLand is correct in saying that there is something wrong with the right hand.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all!!!

yes, I also support the AnLand's thought, very weird that a chimp always carries something in its right hand. Also in the two first seconds of ACP0005uil we can see his hand very close to the camera, and there is no fruits.

Very good job!!!

I am going to add ACP0005w5e as Ebony in the Known list.

Thanks!!

Posted