Chimp & See Talk

Lingering Shape Review I - females with infants

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I'd like to start the review of LS with the females with infants. There are at least 3 females carrying infants. Most of these videos have already been mentioned in the thread Moms with infants but I wanted to group them together for better comparison.

1. Luana & Elie (tag group): Luana seems to be the only female with a grey back. She has a greyish head, bright muzzle, straight brows, bid nostrils, big, triangular balding Her infant Elie with bright muzzle is still quite small but rides dorsally, high up on the back. It's still small enough though to be carried ventrally in certain situations, it seems:

Videos with supposed Luana & Elie are:

grey back, bright face, small dorsal infant with bright muzzle: ACP0005jrb

same here: ACP0005s26

only grey back seen and a hint of a small dorsal infant: ACP0005jqn

female in the back walking up tree seems to have Luana's face and carries a small dorsal infant with bright muzzle, see around sec. 6: ACP0005wbi

carried ventrally in ACP0005jwe ACP0005jwf ACP0005jwg ACP0005jwh

last fem on the right in travelling group ACP0005v1z ACP0005w4v

carried ventrally, but same drop-shaped swelling as Luana: ACP0005wz6 (compare to ACP0005hcw)

The following videos show a dark female with a ventral infant (no TempID). Her head appears quite big, she's got a white beard, bent brows, big nosrils and a triangular balding.

Videos I think show all the same female/infant:

ACP0005wl2

ACP0007f3x ACP0007f3z ACP0007f41 (still from this clip)

ACP0005w4w ACP0005w4x

enter image description here

There are only LSFem06 and LSFem07 with respective infants left but I couldn't find any other video with a dorsal infant of this size. Maybe they are the same or they do not belong to this group because they are only seen alone and each only once.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I commented on most already in this thread here: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000l/discussions/DCP0000epe

For ACP0005wl2 and the second female in ACP0005w4v (with a ventral infant and rather dark) - their swellings look totally different. Of course, we expect a changing swelling in a cycling female, but first, with such a young infant she should not cycle, and second, if all we have is a ventral infant and two different looking swellings, I don't know on what we are basing the match.

Females are not seen as often in habituated chimps as well, and we have a lot of males here. I don't think that we only have this few females. This was the site with the least open views and I do think we did not see them well enough for certain matches.

ACP0007f41 should get a temp ID for sure.

ACP0005jwe seems to be less gray (only lower back a bit, not the legs) which is not consistent with Luana.

Posted