Chimp & See Talk

Adult chimp using tool at termite mound

• Fox-Hound by Fox-Hound

ACP0006v6l ACP0006v6m ACP0006v6n ACP0006v6o

Adult chimp entering frame

Approaching termite mound

Using tool to capture termites

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Fox-Hound's comment.

Hi @Fox-Hound ,

thanks for this series...this is a big robust adult male 😃

unfortunately we can´t use these videos, as his face is barely visible, and he has no special traits that could help us identify him in future videos. But I will add him to our general chimps list anyway.

thanks!!

Posted

• Fox-Hound by Fox-Hound

No problem. I'm happy to help.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

...and we are happy to have you helping 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

He does have two distinctive bald spots on his rear which I've been on the look out for among the male chimp clips, so that's a clue we can follow - thanks @Fox-Hound - maybe we can find his rear again & also see his face 😃

male chimp with bald spots

bald spots on male chimp rear

Posted

• Fox-Hound by Fox-Hound

@Snorticus I'll keep an eye out for him.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

@Snorticus , I´m usually very careful with using rears for identification. You are right when you talk about this male´s behind, but still I need to see more to give him an ID...

yes, let´s keep an eye on him anyway 😃

Posted

You know what? I think I will post a special place for special individuals, like in Red Water. Something like: Other notable individuals, hopefully we can match them later . What do you think? I think it´s a good way of not losing them.

It´s at the end of PROSPECTIVE / KNOWN CHIMPS DRY LAKE - 11

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Hi NuriaM, I did not mean that as a critique of your methods or as a reason to give him an ID at all - just to point out that it's a possible clue for we citizens to look out for. As you point out - we definitely need some facial characteristics in other clips! 😃

I think your idea of other notable individuals list is a good one! There are so many clips here but so many are not clear enough to use for ID-ing individuals, kind of frustrating.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Fox-Hound's comment.

Hi @Snorticus, I was also thinking that he has quite the distinctive behind. @adomman just found this video ACP00072xz with a male chimp and there are four males in total here ACP00072xy ACP00072y0 ACP00072y1 Maybe you can find a fitting rear and some more features to go with 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

Thanks @Boleyn - I think that second rear might be a matching behind but the camera def. is too low and he is too far away to really get a good look. I'll keep looking though, as his thick black fur grows right up to the 2 bald spots in an unusual way.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

thanks @Boleyn 😃

the videos of this site are really tricky...

this videos show that it can be possible to find males with spotted rears, and that´s why alone behinds are not reliable traits:

one one

I see that the spots of the male in the second pic. above are bigger than our NOTABE MALE1, don´t you think so?

Posted

Hi @Snorticus ,

yes, you are right, so many unclear videos make the identification process very hard...

sometimes we get upset when we can´t find matches. Actually, if the reason is the video quality, it´s very frustrating; but if it´s just because we simply don´t see a match between two chimps, that´s good, because it means that the site contains many individuals: the less matches, the bigger the population is...and these are very good news!! 😃

Posted

And here a nice butt collection 😉 :

ACP00072xy:

one

ACP00072xz

one

ACP0006v6m

one

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to NuriaM's comment.

Lol, NuriaM, thanks for the lovely chimp rear end pics 😉 It does seem that this population is pretty large - so excellent! I will keep my eye on those bald male butts and their faces too for more likely matching set!

Posted

😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

This male from ACP00064nw has the same light marking on his butt and the long testicles (dark skin and lighter balls) - it's a bit weird to describe it in that detail. But it's true. Dark fur and body build fits. Face not visible.

enter image description here

The same markings are seen in this male chimp as well: ACP0006ghf, but everything else is quite blurry and I have no idea how common it is. We've seen it definitely in other chimps before.

Maybe everything only to take note and sort later.

Posted

thank you @AnLand 😃

nice description 😛

these rears really look very alike. I will keep them together in the list of possible matches, hoping that we can match him at some point...

Posted