Chimp & See Talk

Match proposal to Tassilo

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

That might be a long shot, but I propose that this infant in ACP00072k2 is Tassilo. Age fits (videos until now from Tassilo are approx. 3 months later), he has a light face and ears as noted in the video comments by @Snorticus. He has also a very flat nose and muzzle. The brows are round. The inner arms are thinly haired.

enter image description here

Tassilo for comparison:

He might also - and that is only guessing based on what we've seen until now from Tassilo - that he is the falling infant here ACP00072k0 running with another mom (or probably more with her kid) and going back to his mom 30 seconds later. The kids with this female are spaced quite closely (of course, all is possible) and in the cases of the two females we have with closer spaced kids (Female1 and 12), the older one is already bigger than this one here.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I always tend to be very careful when it comes to matching infants alone...I see two depigmented spots under Tassilo´s eyes, but I can´t see them in the new infant. But of course s/he passes by very fast and the video quality makes it very difficult to see them.

I can give him/her a temporary ID in order to ease the discussion :}

DL11Infant30

Posted

This video ACP0006te2 is part of the long sequence, where we identified Olive at the end ACP0006tcj etc.. It is probable that Tassilo is around and as there are only three chimps visible (here: a male in front, an adult (Olive?) behind the mound, and an infant). It's probably Tassilo, who joins here the male chimp. To support that at least a bit: one can see the depigmented spot under the infant's eye in the last second. Screenshots are unfortunately not helpful.

There are gaps between the sequences of up to ten minutes.

Apparently, the male does not have a temp ID. Very straight browline, dark fur. I don't think that it is Marty as the lighter (balder?) spot on the midhead is missing. Also the ears are different.

Ears, brows, and darkness are consistent with Male1. Also, he does not seem to be too big. There seems to be a lighter on the right side of his head, but I am not sure whether it's a light effect. Male7 might have a grayer beard, but I am not sure whether this lightness is caused by what he is eating. He also has ears that stick more out. At least, that would be my ideas.

Male1 for comparison:

Credit to @Dana23, who tagged one the videos today and I watched them again.

Posted

I've just found the thread where Male1 and Male7 have been discussed by @jwidness: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000o/discussions/DCP0000kmw. It's not in the list of possible matches.

I cannot really find a unique trait for any of them, but all three of them look very much the same and are distinct from the other prospective and known males. Male7 also seems to have a lighter spot on the right side of his head (but this too could be an effect of sunlight). The flat head is still notable.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

I agree with you that the infant might be Tassilo. I will hashtag him and if anyone disagrees, we can discuss it more and I can always edit my hashtag.

As for the males, I already said that I supported Male1 and Male7 proposal.

About the new male I am a bit confused, can you post the link to the video where you found the second screenshot? and are we sure it´s a male? sorry, but I only see videos where s/he is sitting.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

I will update later today, here only the videos with times:

At the termite mound on July 24, 2013

13:31 ACP0006td7, ACP0006td8, ACP0006td9, ACP0006tda

13:35 ACP0006td3, ACP0006td4, ACP0006td5, ACP0006td6

13:57 ACP0006tdz, ACP0006te0, ACP0006te1, ACP0006te2

14:00 ACP0006tdb, ACP0006tdc, ACP0006tdd, ACP0006tde

14:03 ACP0006tdj, ACP0006tdk, ACP0006tdl, ACP0006tdm

14:14 ACP0006tcn, [ ACP0006tco, ACP0006tcp - no chimps visible], ACP0006tcq

14:24 ACP0006tcj, ACP0006tck, ACP0006tcl, ACP0006tcm

Minute count of the camera is continuous (cf. spreadsheet), so no sequences in between are missing.

Posted

I could not believe that we never talked about him before. We did. Sorry.

Here the full sequence with descriptions by @jwidness: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000o/discussions/DCP0000hyo

We did not discuss anything further after identifying Olive (and me doing something I should not have done). Maybe we discuss over there again about the male and his similiarities with Male1 and Male7.

I can delete my postings here or move something if it's of interest.

Posted

thanks @AnLand, I didn´t remember him...it´s been four months now since we last discussed it!!

He is now DL11Male11, and I tagged Tassilo too.

I see a match here: Male1, Male7 and Male11

Posted

Do we all agree that we have a new male matched here? Marty needs a team mate 😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

I agree with Male1 & Male7, though (opposite to @AnLand) I see a little whiteness on the chin of Male1, not Male7. But light/angle is probably the cause.

Male11 is hard. He looks larger and darker, I guess that could be attributed to aging, as his is the most recent of the 3 sequences which span 9 months. I've only seen a 1-second 3/4 face view, which did look like the others. And we see the rear view, which might match the quick view of Male1's rear. Not positive about that one.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

I understand your reasons for doubting about Male11. I still see a very similar face to the others anyway. Male11´s nostrils look sort of large like Male7´s. But we could just name Male1 and Male7 anyway and keep on discussing about Male11...

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Yes, I agree the faces look similar and the nostrils are probably the most eye-catching & convincing feature. It just feels like too little evidence. But if we're all seeing and feeling the same, maybe it's enough. 😃

Posted

that sounds great @ksigler...

we are going to need a name for our boy 😃

@jwidness started proposing a match between male1 and male7

@AnLand continued proposing male11 here

@ksigler discussed it here

I think it is now @jwidness turn, as she started this match process 😃

Posted

I agree, @jwidness should propose a name!

Posted

excellent!
    😃

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Thanks guys, can I suggest Strax for this fellow?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

Strax who? :p

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

The potato one! (BTW, I sometimes call my dim-witted orange cat "the potato one")

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Ha, the potato one - also I had no idea there was such a thing as a dim-witted orange cat! Mine is imperious and crabby and very occasionally cuddly.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Thanks @jwidness!! I like Strax 😃

Posted