Chimp & See Talk

Sub-adult/juvenile male with odd gait

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

I've seen a few clips containing a young male with an unusual gait. I don't know how to explain it, so I thought I'd pull them together to see what others think. Appearance-wise, he has a heavier upper body with thinner legs, a sharp angle in his back (best seen when in profile) and a dark rear with a smooth or reflective appearance. No good facial views, but he seems to have lighter ears with a slight fold outward at the top of the right one. I didn't see any prospective juveniles that matched him, though he may be considered an adult.

ACP000723s (appears to have an itchy back here in addition to strange gait)

male

ACP0006myg (best views of rear, body proportions, ear fold, and angle in back)

male

male

ACP00077uw (appears to have an itchy back)

male

Also, a few maybe's:

ACP00072y0 (second to enter, crosses to the right side of the screen)

male

ACP00072ms

male

And maybe ACP00072ra though this chimp definitely has a more severe limp.

male

Thoughts?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

hey @ksigler, this is interesting,

in my opinion,

ACP000723s + ACP0006myg + ACP00072y0 and ACP00072ms are very likely to be the same one...these gait and rear are very similar. I see what you mean about his (their) righ ear too...

as for ACP00077uw, his back looks itchy, but I have the feeling that he is a bit more robust than the others...

and ACP00072ra, I see his gait a bit different...his rear looks a bit more upwards to me, and he´s got a more noticeable limp on his left leg...

I will put ACP000723s + ACP0006myg + ACP00072y0 and ACP00072ms together on our POTENTIAL MATCHES WITHOUT FACE VIEWS post, but I really support this match :}

POTENTIAL MATCH 3

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Great! I was pretty confident about ACP00077uw, due to the gait, body proportions, angular back, and rear appearance. Maybe we can reconsider it as we get to know the other males more. I'm happy with this, though. Thanks! 😃

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

good job :}

Posted