Chimp & See Talk

DBFem04&DBInf04--Female with young infant, tool usage

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I will post this quite massive female with a young infant, I found yesterday and wait for others findings posted by the volunteers who found them. ACP00087f1, ACP00087f4, ACP00087f6, ACP00087f7

She has a massive body, a bald ead, broad face, the right ear seems to have a notch. The left looks not perfectly round, but not really damaged as well. Brows rather straight, discoloration of muzzle might be caused by current feeding. The fur is thin between shoulders and neck and breasts are more visible than I have seen before in a chimp.

She has a very young infant.

enter image description here

Posted

This female @MimiA posted as an advertisement for the new research site on twitter might be the same one: ACP000877d and ACP000877f I see the same notch in the right ear, massive body, broad face, small infant.

Not sure whether it is actually the same situation just with more daylight. This video has been found by @Eswiniarski

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

This baby is so cute. Any idea how old it might be?

I noticed that not all the videos are in proper sequence and hence many of them have no date and time stamp. But maybe whenwe are further into the site we'll find some more videos that are in sequence with the ones already found.

Posted

I am not an expert, but my idea would be 2 to 3 months old. She is really massive, so that might confuse a bit, but rather months than anything near one year of age.

I just checked the spreadsheet: it is a continuous sequence, so not a match. Which is great as we do not have to stop to find her again. 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Boleyn, These clips don't seem to be sequenced in a row when uploaded here as it seemed more common to find in other sites. So many chimps here - if it helps anyone else - I am trying to find the matching clips to chimps as they are posted in "recent' and then I collect them in proper sequence in my collection "DB-12 chimps". It appeals to my sense of order to have them all together 😃 Below is the full sequence for the color ones and the location looks like one she likes!

ACP0008779 - ACP000877b - ACP000877d - ACP000877f

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

The infant looks so tiny and uncoordinated, it's somewhat nerve wracking to watch mom banging that huge rock so close.

Looking at the daylight series, she appears to have a pale mark below her nose not due to feeding. Her breasts seem more swollen than I've noticed in other females. She's very distinctive!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

I thought the same thing about the nutcracking so close to the baby! Hard to believe a hand or foot, if not a head, doesn't get whacked once in a while.

Regarding the clip order... yes, this site is more out of order than usual. You may know already, but it's how they're processed by Zooniverse. The intention for the system was that we look at the clips independently of each other, so they don't always play along with our desire to view full sequences. This site will be more of a challenge to "cheat." Good to know your collection habits will help us out - thank you!

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hello!!!
    nice find, look this super small infant, is really young!

They will be DBFem04 & DBInf04 in the chimp list. Here all the videos we have until now from them,

ACP0008779
    ACP000877b
    ACP000877d
    ACP000877f
    ACP00087cw
    ACP00087cz
    ACP00087dq
    ACP00087du
    ACP00087dv
    ACP00087dx
    ACP00087f1
    ACP00087f4